Monthly News – October 2019

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – October 2019

Post by clem »

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Monthly News – October 2019

Post by Pierre »

the lead article, is about the not-so-good news about the GNOME files defence against patent troll issue.
- - this issue, has been ongoing, for an while now.
their Donate Now page is https://secure.givelively.org/donate/gn ... fense-fund

NB: most folks, from outside, of the USA - - can't really fathom, this sort of issue .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

clem wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:46 am Linux Mint 19.3 will ship with kernel 5.0
May I raise an eyebrow at your timing?

Update Manager will update users to 5.3 one month after you release this, might as well go with 5.3 directly. Just saying.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:56 am Update Manager will update users to 5.3 one month after you release this, might as well go with 5.3 directly. Just saying.
I'm not sure if you were around when 18.2 was released, but IIRC the shipped HWE kernel went end of life about 10 days after release :roll:
So many forum questions resulted...... :wink:

Having said that does Mint want to ship what will be a HWE-Edge kernel at point of release, rather than the current HWE kernel? Don't know.
Last edited by smurphos on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 am I'm not sure if you were around when 18.2 was released, but IIRC correctly the shipped HWE kernel went end of life about 10 days after release :roll:
So many forum questions resulted...... :wink:

Having said that does Mint want to ship what will be a HWE-Edge kernel at point of release, rather than the current HWE kernel? Don't know.
I was not around, but I would submit that your third sentence should be answered by your second, don't you think? Mint should be about user friendliness, and shipping a nearly end-of-life kernel isn't it.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

Pierre wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am NB: most folks, from outside, of the USA - - can't really fathom, this sort of issue ...
For me the whole thing is nothing more than an excuse for money donations. It also has an extremely nasty taste when all the critics of this project are called "trolls"! :roll:
LMDE 5 Elsie (64-bit), Linux Kernel 5.10.0, Cinnamon 5.6.8, inxi 3.3.28;
HTPC: ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming, 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 cores),
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;
gm10

Post by gm10 »

David Chiang wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 am
Pierre wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am NB: most folks, from outside, of the USA - - can't really fathom, this sort of issue ...
For me the whole thing is nothing more than an excuse for money donations. It also has an extremely nasty taste when all the critics of this project are called "trolls"! :roll:
How did somebody bringing a patent infringement claim based on a US-style lightweight software patent become "all the critics of this project"? Some might think you are putting on the troll shoes yourself here. ;)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”