Monthly News – February 2020

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – February 2020

Post by clem »

Srdjan

Re: Monthly News – February 2020

Post by Srdjan »

Simple and easy file sharing on home network without SAMBA, that is what I was waiting for! :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

an New Version of Giver :idea:

now, That would be an Early Xmas Present :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

New and updated colour themes (I mainly use dark themes), very nice, however I have been waiting ages to be able to change the colour of the Active Title bar, so I can distinguish it from the inactive one. In KDE that wasn't a problem. Can we have it please?

Thanks,
Richard
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Warpinator

10 years ago, Linux Mint 6 featured a new tool called Giver to easily share files across the local network. Without any server or configuration, computers would automatically see each others and you could simply drag and drop files from one to another....
Is there any beta for testing 'Warpinator' or whatever it ends up being called? I found a spot on Github (I think it was) to download a file that was supposed to be it, but could not make any headway with the installation even after first installing all the dependencies (according to the readme and install files.

Is there some sort of .deb or something useful that can be tested? Back when I was helping with development of Mepis and a number of other distributions, there was one distro where we were using something that sounds simlar to the way Warpinator is described here. The thing that stood out for me was that it immediately saw and made accessible every computer on the LOCAL network / shared workgroup, and worked past the firewall without us having to mess around with forwarding. Something I have not been able to do with my LAN since returning to Mint recently, and could not do under Kubuntu and other distributions I have been playing with since Mint stopped working a year or two ago. (I'm not getting into a fight about that comment).

I cannot remember the distribution that had foolproof 'plug and play' networking, it was many years ago, but it would be fun to have something that simple again. For example, on Mint at the moment, I can see any computer on my network, but to access one or more of them I have to disable Firewall. That is clumsy, and these days, dangerous.

I'm sure I am not the only one who would like to test something that should simply connect.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Very pleased with the new colour pallet and the prospect of "Giver", it would make life so much easier.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz

Return to “Releases & Announcements”