Monthly News – May 2020

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – May 2020

Post by clem »

ninemen

Re: Monthly News – May 2020

Post by ninemen »

Hello Clem,
First of all thanks for LM 20.
Second idk if you remember but i had a query regarding how to check Bluetooth battery in Linux Mint and upower didn't help.
But i found a script which made it possible , I would like you to have a look at that script and if possible you could add it to Lm as a native option just like in android devices thanks.btw i really liked the new colours if they dont come in LM20 could you upload them at gnome look or GitHub so we can use them.

Link to Github:

Code: Select all

https://github.com/TheWeirdDev/Bluetooth_Headset_Battery_Level
Link to my query just see the last comment:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1815613#p1815613
'
Link to reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/glcani/check_battery_level_of_your_bluetooth_headset_in/
Cant wait For LM 20, Love you.
jjberk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjberk »

Hi,

I was very pleased to learn the Mint team puts a stop to the snap shit in LM20. I tried it once and had to restore the system from my backup.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tosim »

jjberk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm Hi,

I was very pleased to learn the Mint team puts a stop to the snap shit in LM20. I tried it once and had to restore the system from my backup.
Please allow me to "echo" his post. Thanks. Am eagerly awaiting v 20.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Looks like I'll be changing my browser when I move to LM20.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 pm Looks like I'll be changing my browser when I move to LM20.
Is that because you don't want Chrome as a snap, or for some other reason?
Cliff Coggin
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

To quote from Clem:
the Chromium package is indeed empty and acting, without your consent, as a backdoor by connecting your computer to the Ubuntu Store. Applications in this store cannot be patched, or pinned. You can’t audit them, hold them, modify them or even point snap to a different store. You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also thank you from me. I appreciate all the hard work and effort that you and the team put into Mint.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pheeble »

If Ubuntu is increasingly insisting on using Snap for installing software, does that mean Mint will have to find a different distro to use as a base? Debian? Manjaro?

Mintjaro anyone?
ninemen

Post by ninemen »

Nah , I don't think so. Also if in anything goes south we still have LMDE so we can keep using Mint.But still there are no chances that something like this can happen.
tomeu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by tomeu »

A pity that the new colors had so many critics. In my opinion they are extraordinary; its shades are much appreciated for an already tired sight. I will keep the debs of those new colors.
Linux Mint Uma 20.2 Cinnamon 5.0
Por favor, recuerda añadir al título el 'palabro' "[SOLUCIONADO]" si el problema o cuestión ha quedado resuelto. Gracias
sjgold85
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjgold85 »

I'm also starting to get worried about Ubuntu, in my case because they are maintainers of python 3 set up.

I’m using the Mint 19.3, all of a sudden I seem to be getting problems in Python apps and modules… I’m worried about upstream Ubuntu, we just used to have problems reconciling APT and PIP versions of modules, now they are deprecating APT for snaps. we could have a three way dependency hell !

Also Ubuntu APT python version is **still** 3.6, compare Debian Stretch at 3.7. Ubuntu's version of Jedi package is 3 rears old.

I’m tempted to create a VM running Debian or LMDE, as a more stable Python learning environment.
ninemen

Post by ninemen »

Idk but i have heard that either Ubuntu 20 or LM 20 will come with Python ver 3 and they will dump Python v2.Also anyone knows where we coan download LM 20 themes that clem showed in monthly news?
tomeu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by tomeu »

ninemen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:26 am.Also anyone knows where we coan download LM 20 themes that clem showed in monthly news?
I think it was limited to the new Mint-Y colors, much brighter. They are in the monthly news of April
You can test these new colors by installing these packages. Use them for a few days to get used to them and let us know what you think.
The green-mint link makes it pass camouflaged, almost unnoticeable
Linux Mint Uma 20.2 Cinnamon 5.0
Por favor, recuerda añadir al título el 'palabro' "[SOLUCIONADO]" si el problema o cuestión ha quedado resuelto. Gracias

Return to “Releases & Announcements”