Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Cinnamon released!

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

myface68 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:08 pm
I just read the tips of how to upgrade from 19.3 to 20, and to tell you the truth - I am not crazy about. It basically stated that I will have to wipe all and start over. Backing up my photos,documents and downloads is not much of the issue, but how do I back up the virtualbox with win7 in it and all the installed software. Then come the issue of reinstalling Mint downloaded software. my Mint is running fine and I am not in a hurry. I will wait till you find safe way to upgrade ( if that possible).
Clearly you didn't read properly.
Upgrade instructions:

Announcements will be made in July with instructions on how to upgrade from Linux Mint 19.3.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

JoeFootball wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:27 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: In Release and Announcements section again?
I'd imagine Releases & Announcements would have a link to a blog entry.
Great! So, if I look past that 1st Official sticky post that says "Upgrade instructions" then the next post will be that blog post talking about it? :lol: and probably called "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20", since the many posts in the past years have taken that same method?

hah! But you guys already know that! :D

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

myface68 wrote:
I just read the tips of how to upgrade from 19.3 to 20, and to tell you the truth - I am not crazy about. It basically stated that I will have to wipe all and start over. Backing up my photos,documents and downloads is not much of the issue, but how do I back up the virtualbox with win7 in it and all the installed software. Then come the issue of reinstalling Mint downloaded software. my Mint is running fine and I am not in a hurry. I will wait till you find safe way to upgrade ( if that possible).
To backup vb, copy the folder which you have assigned for VB , it's as simple as that.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 am
2. Clean upgrade = fresh install.
if ( upgrade == install ) :roll: return (FALSE) ; else :wink: return(TRUE) ;

The Captain said, "What we've got here is failure to communicate."
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Upgrading.... it never ceases to be a controversial issue, which makes it also often rather amusing. There's nothing like a fiery controversy to sharpen the mind and make you feel alive. Well, maybe a big mug of strong hot coffee comes near. :lol:

My position is clear: for upgrades that entail a change of the entire Ubuntu code base, like the upgrade from Mint 19.x (Ubuntu 18.04) to Mint 20 (Ubuntu 20.04), I advise a clean upgrade. Which means a fresh installation. Regardless of what any potentially differing official recommendation might be.

I base my advice on my personal experience of 14 years of (nearly) 100 % Ubuntu and Mint use on the desktop. Everybody is of course entirely free to do as they please with my advice. Thank God it's a free world: we can say what we think and we can do our upgrades the way we prefer it. 8)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I appreciate it is best to do a clean install of Ulyana but I have so much customisation on my current 19.3 version it is going to be a lot of work to start over again with all my customisation's and re-installing programs.

If I create a new partition and install Ulyana to it and dual boot to that and my current 19.3? I'd like to get 20 up and running to as near to the configuration I have in 19.3 first before deleting 19.3 and going to Ulyana on its own.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

muffybean wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 am
I appreciate it is best to do a clean install of Ulyana but I have so much customisation on my current 19.3 version it is going to be a lot of work to start over again with all my customisation's and re-installing programs.
There's no need to do it all over again. In your home directory, from your file manager, show hidden files, select all and compress them to an archive such as tar.gz, do the installation and uncompress your backup into your new home directory. This time, when you install, consider creating a separate home partition to avoid this in future. You should leave 32-40GB for root.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:49 am
In your home directory, from your file manager, show hidden files, select all and compress them to an archive such as tar.gz, do the installation and uncompress your backup into your new home directory.
Not quite my recommendation, because that indiscriminately transports all of the old user settings to the new Mint. This at best transports some cruft (unavoidably), and at its worst might also have negative effects on (the performance of) newer versions of certain applications. Which is one of the main reasons why, incidentally, I'm opposed to having a separate home partition.

My advice is: only transport those old settings that you really need. Usually only the web browser profiles and the e-mail client profile. And even for the web browser profiles I recommend to transport only the bookmarks. Make a fresh start with a fully predictable system.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Buffy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Buffy »

I would go the other way, to be safer. Backup all of your $HOME, making sure to get all the .* directories and files. Then you can restore the ones you need from there. I say that because theres ones that you don't realize you need until they're gone. Things like .local/share/rhythmbox (where your database and playlists are) and such. Better safe than sorry, IMHO...
--
MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition, i7-5820K (o/c to 3.8 GHz), 64 MB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2400 MHz) DDR4 DRAM, Samsung 860 Pro SSD (1TB), WD Black HD (5TB), EVGA GTX 1070 FE (displays), EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SC Ultra Gaming (rendering), Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

I always do a clean install on a major version change. I have a separate /home partition which makes life easier. Only had one problem with old configs - evolution and that was easy to fix.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

I have been upgrading from 17.0 to 19.3 without issues, this is mainly to avoid redoing the customization.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

myface68 wrote:
relax and wait for the official instructions from the mint team. you won't have to wipe your drive, but you should already have everything backed up somewhere as nothing is 100% guaranteed. what works for me may not work for you or other way around

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

just saying that talking about transferring data for new installs or even doing some safety backup with updates, the Mint "Backup tool" is there. -pretty sure there's a good solution for all the problems we can conjure up.

myface68
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myface68 »

I did clone sda to external ssd usbd drive. Tested - I can boot from and use it if main drive fail. I wait for instructions for safe install v20

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

I also await the upgrade to 20 instructions.
Regards,
Deepak

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Moderator's note:
Muffybean's posts and the helpful answers given by (among others) AndyMH have now been merged into Muffybean's post: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=323356

Please keep support questions out of Announcement topics. Thank you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

grioghair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grioghair »

When can we expect an upgrade of 19.3 to 20 via software updater? A couple of weeks?

Steve

Fizz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fizz »

This is excellent news- been looking forward to this. Out faster than i expected.

-Fizz
Last edited by Fizz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

grioghair wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 pm
When can we expect an upgrade of 19.3 to 20 via software updater? A couple of weeks?
The answer to that question is at the link provided in the very first post of this thread.

mattlach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mattlach »

First off, bravo to the Mint team for resiting the ridiculousness that is snapd. I for one don't want the nightmare of duplication of dependencies, and potentially unpatched (for security) dependencies residing inside 3rd part snaps. Much better to have everything come from the repositories!

I'm not sure how I feel about this warpy thing. I generally do not like my computers communicating with other computers on any network unless I explicitly tell them to. I'm not sure how the warpiness works but I am guessing it uses some sort of multicast to detect other clients and allow you to connect to them. Generally that just kind of makes me go "yuck", and feel a little uneasy. I hope it can be disabled easily.

I'm also hoping I can still use ifupdown. I am not a huge fan of netplan.
Desktop: Threadripper 3960x, Gigabyte TRX40 Aourus Master, 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16, 2TB Sabrent Rocket Gen4, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
Proxmox (NAS, Mythbuntu, etc.): 2x Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM, 120TB ZFS

Return to “Releases & Announcements”