Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Xfce released!

Post by clem »

4Orbs

Re: Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Xfce released!

Post by 4Orbs »

Thanks for this. You Mint guys rock. I've been distro hopping for 13 years and this Linux Mint XFCE simply nukes every other distro.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Been using MATE since LM13 Maya, this time I switched to Xfce and WOW, I thought MATE was the best (it still is!), but Xfce is beautiful and lighter on my system!
Linux Mint 20 MATE
paranightpara8

Post by paranightpara8 »

This time i installed XFCE version, all is ok. :)
Thank You, that are supporting at least flatpak: this way i could install newest VLC media player, that is important to me at some level.
dm999

Post by dm999 »

I installed Xfce 20 today, all is looking good, a big thank you to the Mint team for all of their efforts.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

I tried 3 times to install from a USB key to an SSD via an HP EliteBook 840 G1. Each time the installer has crashed and not given the promised reporting option, hence this post.

The live system seems OK so I'd like to try it as the "toolbox" on an external portable SSD. I succeeded in installing 20.0 to a different (not SSD) external drive and installed 19.3 to the SSD. That went OK, checking hardware / ports.

Oliverjames
converse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by converse »

Beautifully simple install of XFCE on my two old (15 years) macs. Both are running really well now, and I appreciated the default install with no need to mess around with partitions. Thanks for your efforts and talents.
Rootbeer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rootbeer »

thank you for an awesome release!
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux 20 Ulyana bug

Post by Goro Daimon »

I found 2 bugs when I updated from Tricia to Ulyana.
I can't see the hour:
Linux asks me to remove this thing here

EDIT:
I solved removing foreign packages and I did this:
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4*
rm -rr ~/.cache/xfce4
xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel;

I made a mistake. Instead of using mintupgrate download and then mintupgrade upgrade, I did mintupgrade download and then apt full-upgrade.

But I solved the problem.
sh123469
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sh123469 »

Will there be a 32bit version also released or was 19.x the last of the 32's?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the LM20x series is available in 64bit only . .
- the LM19.x series will be the last 32bit version
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Goro Daimon »

sh123469 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 pm Will there be a 32bit version also released or was 19.x the last of the 32's?
19.3 was the last of the 32.

But Mint Debian will support 32 bit.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

Quite complicated I found the migration of Mint Xfce 19.3 to 20 of 64-bits, I do not stay the other option through the command line, even so when rebooting the system the screen was left black with the legend (INITRAMFS) and after spending hours and hours looking for information in duckduck.go I was able to solve the problem through live USB memory through the terminal following the steps of this link, in conclusion, traumatic for a novice. :wink:

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-20.html
http://www.bernaerts-nicolas.fr/linux/7 ... -initramfs
Ramblin

Post by Ramblin »

I love you guys - you look after us with robust releases and great functionality, all while honouring the open source ideals. Great going!

I use the Mate interface and have for years, also getting my (non-technical) spouse setup on it for 4 years now with no issues.

I have one question re LM20

In the "upgrade from LM19" instructions, at https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-20.html , in the "Downgrade foreign packages" section, you have the sentence:
"Some of your packages might have a lower version in Linux Mint 20 than in Linux Mint 19.3. To guarantee they function properly, they need to be downgraded."

Why, in a more recent version of Mint, would any packages be at a LOWER version than a previous release?
bhermance

Post by bhermance »

heh good question!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ramblin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm In the "upgrade from LM19" instructions, at https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-20.html , in the "Downgrade foreign packages" section, you have the sentence:
"Some of your packages might have a lower version in Linux Mint 20 than in Linux Mint 19.3. To guarantee they function properly, they need to be downgraded."

Why, in a more recent version of Mint, would any packages be at a LOWER version than a previous release?
A package from the official Linux Mint 20 repositories wouldn't be a lower version than from the official 19.3 repositories. The above is about if you added PPAs or other repositories to your 19.3 system, those additional repositories may have a higher version than is in the official repositories. Very simplified but for example a PPA with the daily build of the development version of some program would have a newer version than is in the official repositories.
Ramblin

Post by Ramblin »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:08 pm A package from the official Linux Mint 20 repositories wouldn't be a lower version than from the official 19.3 repositories. The above is about if you added PPAs or other repositories to your 19.3 system, those additional repositories may have a higher version than is in the official repositories. Very simplified but for example a PPA with the daily build of the development version of some program would have a newer version than is in the official repositories.
So the keyowrd in the LM advisory is MIGHT?

Good to know.

I have no non-standard PPAs so I guess that means I aill not have any libraries/packages needing downgrading?

Thanks for the perspective.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

xenopeek is the man!
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Xfce

Post by Goro Daimon »

Unfortunately I had to use TimeShift and downgrade to Mint Tricia. My Scanner(HP Multi-function) does not work on Mint 20.

viewtopic.php?p=1846480#p1846480
Last edited by Goro Daimon on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
harsh_s21

Post by harsh_s21 »

Thanks for wonderful OS

Return to “Releases & Announcements”