How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20

Post by clem »

Buffy

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20

Post by Buffy »

Thank you! \o/

I tried it in a VM first and it went OK, so I did my workstation. Went OK, too! \o/
PhilippeH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PhilippeH »

Thank you \o/

The upgrade path worked fine for me. It was the first time I upgraded this way, and I am happy with the new version

Everything works as before, not bad for a 9 years old machine!
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint rocks!

Post by Goro Daimon »

I loved the new XFCE version.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

[SOLVED] see the edit.
I have just done the upgrade and all seems well.

Just one immediate potential issue with Evolution email. It is working normally with my gmail address but it will not connect to my principal imap address.

The error message is "error performing TLS handshake. A packet with illegal or unsupported version was received".

On the other hand, the Mailspring email client works perfectly. I do prefer Evolution, though, so any help would be welcome. I have already tried reinstalling Evolution and setting up the email address afresh with no luck.

EDIT: The problem seems to be that LM20 (Ubuntu 20.04) no longer supports TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1 and my email provider's servers still use those insecure versions. I have contacted them to ask when they plan to upgrade to TLS 1.2 / 1.3 but, so far, I have not had an answer.
Last edited by diapason on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine
Rander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rander »

Will this at any point be made an automated upgrade through the Update Manager?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Worked fine with Mint 19.3 Xfce.

I don't use timeshift, so I edited /usr/bin/mintupgrade and commented out these two lines ( ~ line 223):

Code: Select all

# if not os.path.exists("/etc/timeshift.json"):
#            self.fail("Please set up system snapshots. If ...
and completed the instructions at https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3946

One niggle: wine 4 used to be installed in /opt/wine-stable/{bin lib lib64 share}, now wine 5 is installed all over the place, and the installer removed the /opt directory which wasn't empty (had a link in it).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

There was this in the notes on the migration guide:
If for some reason you do not want to use timeshift, you can force the upgrader to not require it by typing the following command: "sudo touch /etc/timeshift.json".
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

Upgraded from Mint 19 ... took a day.

1) make 100% sure you have enough space on /boot. DO NOT rely on any tools. Check yourself. It was only when the upgrade went to built the init image I discovered loads of files left from previous Kernel deletions.

2) If you run with whole disk encryption, then be prepared to fail on reboot as the init image doesn't realise you have an encrypted disk. This is because somewhere the upgrade process removed "cryptsetup" from the initramfs image. You will need to boot from a LiveCD (so not a bad idea to download Mint 20 onto a USB anyway - you'll need it) and after mounting your encrypted disk within it, chroot to it so you can reinstall crtypsetup, and rerun update-initramfs to pick it up. Then the boot process should find the disk and you're back to rights.

I have to give massive thanks to this post here. And knowing how ephemeral the internet is, I'll quote the meat you'll need to get booting if you have this issue. I think a diagnostic is if when the boot process fails and drops you to a Busybox prompt, the command "cryptsetup" isn't available.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/567730/ ... esnt-exist

In certain Ubuntu versions (e.g. Xubuntu 18.10) this issue might be caused by an apt autoremove. Due to this bug apt will suggest to remove

cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run dmeventd libdevmapper-event1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02 libreadline5 lvm2

which makes the system non-bootable (because the root partiation cannot be mounted and unencrypted using LVM).

If you are not using LVM and disk encryption this answer is probably not for you.

I was able to fix it by re-installing cryptsetup and lvm2 in a chroot environment: boot from a live USB stick, run commands below in a terminal, reboot.

Code: Select all

# find root partition
sudo fdisk -l

# unencrypt partition
#   Note: replace /dev/nvme0n1p3 with your disk
#         replace "nvme0n1p3_crypt" with the correct name 
#         check by running this in chroot:
#         $ cat /etc/crypttab | cut -f1 -d " "
#         nvme0n1p3_crypt
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p3 nvme0n1p3_crypt

# mount root partition
sudo vgscan 
sudo vgchange -ay
sudo mount /dev/mapper/xubuntu--vg-root /mnt

# prepare chroot environment
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/boot/   # replace nvme0n1p2 with your boot partition!
sudo mount -o rbind /dev/ /mnt/dev/
sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc/
sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys/

# make dns available in chroot
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf  /mnt/etc/resolv.conf 

# enter chroot
sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash

# re-install missing packages
apt install cryptsetup lvm2

# re-generate  (this might be done also by apt in the step before, I'm not sure)
update-initramfs -u -k all

# Leave chroot environment - not sure if the following is really necessary...
exit
# Write buffers to disk
sudo sync
# Unmount file systems
sudo umount /mnt/sys
sudo umount /mnt/proc
sudo umount /mnt/boot
KeithMorgan0101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithMorgan0101 »

I just tried an upgrade from a very vanilla 19.3 system with no success. While I'm not a newbie, have been using Unix of one flavor of another for > 40 years, I'm more a programmer than a sysadmin. My first confused moment was the instructions re 'check the upgrade' to pay close attention to the 'mintupgrade check' output and not proceed until I was happy with the output. The output included a list of packages to be removed, but damned if I knew what most of them were since most had informative names like libmumbledyfratzlimpnoodle. Neither did I have any idea how to get them off the 'remove' list if I thought I needed them. This made judging my 'happiness' level somewhat arbitrary. As near as I could tell, most of the packages to be removed had to do with MySQL, so I proceeded on figuring I could uninstall/reinstall MySQL as necessary after the upgrade. During the execution of the mintupgrade upgrade I saw a bunch of error messages fly by, including 'syntax error', executables not found, at least one instance of attempting to execute something that looked like a comment that included someone's name, etc. All of them flew by too quickly to write down. When the update completed and the system rebooted, I encountered a bunch of error messages in the system reports, a bunch of apps missing, etc. Happily, a timeshift restore back to 19.3 went smoothly. Doesn't seem to me that this upgrade script is ready for prime time.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

I'll be honest. I've never had an upgrade go smoothly.

Previous to this whopper, I had an issue where my XServer profile got borked, and I couldn't log into Cinnamon. I had to CLI in and replace the ~/.config directory from a backup.

If you complain about upgrades, you are told you should have done a fresh install. (And I suspect if you do a fresh install, you'd be told you should have upgraded ...)

Still, it is free and not MS.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

JLC17 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 amIf you complain about upgrades, you are told you should have done a fresh install.
Definitely, this will happen.
JLC17 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 am(And I suspect if you do a fresh install, you'd be told you should have upgraded ...)
Nope. You will be blamed for having done the fresh installation incorrectly and you will be told to read and follow the RTFM LMIG more carefully. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

Plus a stern looking-at by the kitteh. =^.^=
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
How-old!'s questions have been split off and turned into a dedicated thread How to upgrade from LM 19.3 to Linux Mint 20?.
Would have thought the red text on light red background at the top had been clear enough: "Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead"
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Releases & Announcements”