Monthly News – August 2020

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – August 2020

Post by clem »

DAMIEN1307

Re: Monthly News – August 2020

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

After reading clems monthly news I was pleased to read him talk about ICE which is a Peppermint linux thing, i dont use ICE myself but i do use Peppermint OSs in many of my computers.

Quote from Clem in the monthly news:
We started talks with Peppermint and we’re currently trying to figure out the best way to work together.
This would also be welcome since both LM as well as Peppermint OS are quite alike already in many respects and collabaration between the two can only make both even better...thanks clem and team...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Also a nice read is an interview with Clem regarding Linux Mint released today on Fossbytes...DAMIEN

https://fossbytes.com/linux-mint-founde ... -lefebvre/
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i really like how those users installing Mint 20 fresh or on another system get to have their cake and eat it too. meanwhile those of us that are waiting for official upgrade from 19.3 or lower are made to sit and watch while the rest of the class enjoy their cake.
No, Billy, you had cake last year! :lol:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi trytip,

I would much rather see the upcoming "upgrade" to be well thought out and vetted properly before being released, rather than being a "half baked", rushed into, production upgrader, resulting in a fiasco that would be problematic to those who are anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Good and great things comes to those who are patient and desire a quality "upgrade", not a rushed one...Your piece of "cake" is coming soon...DAMIEN
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

trytip wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:38 am i really like how those users installing Mint 20 fresh or on another system get to have their cake and eat it too. meanwhile those of us that are waiting for official upgrade from 19.3 or lower are made to sit and watch while the rest of the class enjoy their cake.
The How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 instructions came out on July 7, 2020. There is no automatic upgrade.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi SMG,

Good to know that the upgrade was already released, I was unaware since i ALWAYS do a clean install when i go to newest versions rather than point releases...thanks for the info...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 pm
trytip wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:38 am i really like how those users installing Mint 20 fresh or on another system get to have their cake and eat it too. meanwhile those of us that are waiting for official upgrade from 19.3 or lower are made to sit and watch while the rest of the class enjoy their cake.
The How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 instructions came out on July 7, 2020. There is no automatic upgrade.
i was waiting for the upgrade in Update Manager as it has been before. the user guide in your link gives errors every time. i would have to undo two years of work replacing built files patches not belonging to mint. Surely this is not the official way to upgrade? if so then i'm rainbows for sure this time

i mean it won't even go forward because i choose to keep an older version of conky?

what happened to the upgrade option in Update Manager? and why do i not know about it?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

trytip wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:26 am what happened to the upgrade option in Update Manager? and why do i not know about it?
The Update Manager upgrade option wasn't there when 19 came out either:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416

It only exists for upgrades between point releases.

Amongst other things, I'm wondering if apps based on GTK+2 and Python2 are the main sources of trouble. That's not including apps upgraded via PPA to a version greater than Mint 20 is released with.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

trytip wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:26 ami was waiting for the upgrade in Update Manager as it has been before. the user guide in your link gives errors every time. i would have to undo two years of work replacing built files patches not belonging to mint. Surely this is not the official way to upgrade? if so then i'm rainbows for sure this time

i mean it won't even go forward because i choose to keep an older version of conky?

what happened to the upgrade option in Update Manager? and why do i not know about it?
There will not be an upgrade option in Update Manager. That is what I meant by "There is no automatic upgrade." Sorry if my terminology was confusing.

I am not familiar with conky, so I do not know what the issue might be with that app.

There are apps which were written in python2 which will not work in LM20 because python2 is no longer supported and python3 is used in Ubuntu 20.04. There are apparently enough differences in python3 when compared to python2 that python2 is not backward compatible in python3. (That has been a challenge for major corporations who had mission-critical code in python2 that had to be rewritten.) I was on a thread where someone had an app written in python2 and noticed it no longer worked in LM20. That person was also having issues with other products which did not yet work with LM20 and returned to using LM19.3
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hence the reason why i do clean, new installs between old versus new platform, (18.04 to 20.04)...point releases lend themselves OK to auto upgrades but new platform upgrades do not because of things like python dependent software between Python2 to Python3, where it is not possessed of backwards compatibility...DAMIEN

Return to “Releases & Announcements”