Warning: Critical issue in base-files 19.0.2 update

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
euphrates

Re: Warning: Critical issue in base-files 19.0.2 update

Post by euphrates »

I've checked the preferences. It's set to refresh every two hours. Actually, it's not that it was not refreshing at all. I applied new updates that appeared on the list for a few days, excluding the base-files. New updates did appear, but base-files 19.0.2 kept lingering on. It took the manual refresh to get rid of the base-files update. More people might have had this issue, as there were a few questions similar to mine, and warnings (e.g. Damien's) against installing the base-files 19.0.2 update in this thread a couple of days after the package had been rolled back. That's also why I asked about it in the first place.
beaudanger

Post by beaudanger »

I was hit by this bug but unfortunately the official solution didn't work, though it did help. Before I knew about this bug I tried the usual troubleshooting steps: a previous kernel, recovery mode, look at logs, run updates, repair packages, start up services etc. After applying the solution in the original post my system now has a GUI for the hard disk decryption phase -- which works fine -- then briefly blinks an underscore in the top left corner, then quickly flashes the login CLI with the correct font size in the top left corner, then holds an underscore in the top left corner. That's pretty similar to before I tried the fix, with the exception of the correct font size. Two other things that are new however, are that when I hit ctr + alt + f1 it doesn't keep bringing me back to the blinking underscore in the top left corner every 20 seconds or so, and now it has networking enabled so I can download packages etc. I've tried doing the usual troubleshooting steps when networking is enabled, like updating/repairing packages, but that hasn't helped.

One additional point of note is that after I hit ctrl + alt + f1, it says:

Code: Select all

[    106.709046] Could not find key with description: [some hash]
[    106.709924] Could not find valid key in user session keyring for sig specified in mount option: [same hash]
[    106.710025] Error parsing options: rc = [-2]
Any ideas where to go from here?
ChadnCQ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChadnCQ »

Have done exactly as per the instruction... but have 9 restore thi gies (yup... i'm a newbie)
Have tried four of them so far starting at the top... but all come to a stop at "(initramfs)".
What is the next step please?
frisa2000

Post by frisa2000 »

I updated my LM Tara desktop Friday then had this unpleasant surprise - I also wasted much time trying to fix it until I happened to come across this fix. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Keep them coming! :D :shock:
MintosH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintosH »

Hi all ,
this is my first time here as registered member (i visited this forum many times before as anonymous ) ,since i started using Linux MINT (ver : 19 Tara)
i'm a refugee from Microsoft terror !!! :wink:
three week ago i thought i deed a big mistake and i gonna loose my system again , i was no longer able to login to my lovely (Tara) , fortunately my hard disc has partitions where i have installed other distro ( in my case is another Mint ; MINT20) i used it until today , when i was able to visit the forum , and find this solution that worked fine (i'm writing this comment from my Mint Tara ).
I would like to thank you very mush for this .
PS : i was a dumb stupid to not come here earlier , but one clever thing i deed is not to rush my self and formate my system , in order to rebuild it from scratch! anyway again Thank you a lot for this (even i am a middle aged man i jumped like a kid after this succeeded saving operation :lol: )
I know Nothing , I Need Everything
slashp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slashp »

Ha ha, I just spent some time writing a blog post on this issue and as I searched around for the links I used as references to fix it, I came across this announcement.

Note to self: RTFM :wink:
Last edited by Moem on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a link
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

MintosH wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 am Hi all ,
this is my first time here as registered member (i visited this forum many times before as anonymous ) ,since i started using Linux MINT (ver : 19 Tara)
i'm a refugee from Microsoft terror !!! :wink:
Welcome in!

You have discovered, as I did back on Mint 13, that these fora are an absolute gold-mine of information and help.

As you continue, you will also discover that - unlike many other distributions and fora - the people here are kind, polite, and truly helpful. They remember what it's like to stare at the blinking cursor in a terminal window for the first time, with no idea what to do next, and they do not talk down to people like you and I who are not yet at their level.

It is refreshing!

These fora, more than any other, are my go-to source for information Linux related.

Please do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are too stupid to ask. As Einstein once said: "There are no 'stupid' questions."

Again, welcome in and I hope to see you again.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
BowWow

Post by BowWow »

Thank you clem.

And thank you antikythera.

I finally figured out the problem after literally weeks of pulling my hair out. That teaches me to always check the forums here first!

Thanks again
Last edited by MrEen on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed support question and follow up posts and merged with existing topic in the appropriate section.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”