Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Post by MrEen »

antikythera wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:33 pm Maybe it's not allowed for normal level forum members in the Releases & Announcements section. I don't see the option to attach anything other than a signature in this thread when replying either.
I admit, the thought never occurred to me. I'll see if I have a browser that isn't already signed in to test.

EDIT: I'm stoopid! If I'm not signed in, I can't reply! :lol:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I may have stumbled across a memory leak in Cinnamon 4.8 but need to try and recreate it again to confirm. I just added a PCI-E USB 3.0 adaptor card to the machine and plugged a 128GB drive into it. The card is working properly and the drive reads and writes at full speed. However, after safely removing the drive memory usage for the Cinnamon process rose to 6.8GB.

As a precaution I have removed the places-center applet as well for now. It may be down to that but I didn't interact with it at all. When I plugged the drive in it automatically mounted and opened nemo. I used the removable media icon in the notification area to safely remove the 128GB drive.

I will keep an eye on this and report the issue properly if it persists.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
malherbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by malherbo »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm Yes, I quite like it, too. I wouldn't wonder if the quality would already be high enough for the final release. :mrgreen:
Here's another cinnamon fan! Actually i've been dipping my toes in the Linux waters for years, several different distro's, but I kept my main setup with macOS.

Mint 19.2 - but really Cinnamon - is what at last pulled me over to the bright side. This year the balance really tipped. I still use macOS on my macmini mediabox, but this year for the first time i'm mostly (over 80%) a Mint user.

Really hope there's still enough power in a 2010 macbook pro to decently run 20.1 (and Hypnotix). The more bugs and nasties are squashed before i try the better, i'm going to sit waiting for the official release as long as i needs 8) But regardless 20.1 is a serious candidate replacing the last bastion of macOS in my house: a 16GB, 6 core macmini!
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royt911 »

antikythera wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:33 pm Maybe it's not allowed for normal level forum members in the Releases & Announcements section. I don't see the option to attach anything other than a signature in this thread when replying either.
You are right. I went into another section of the forum and there was a tab beside options that I could possible attach a photo. I didn't try it but assume it works. But in this part of the forum it is not there. Thanks for following up. This proves I'm not crazy. :mrgreen:
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

malherbo wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:31 pm Really hope there's still enough power in a 2010 macbook pro to decently run 20.1 (and Hypnotix). The more bugs and nasties are squashed before i try the better, i'm going to sit waiting for the official release as long as i needs 8) But regardless 20.1 is a serious candidate replacing the last bastion of macOS in my house: a 16GB, 6 core macmini!
Dude, if you've got a rig like that (assuming that mac is running an intel chip) you'll have 0 issues. I've got it running fine on an old intel i3 from 2011: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-2120 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Sandy Bridge.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The memory leak did not happen again but I've put LMDE4 back anyway.

A couple of the applications I use with LMDE4 are not built for Ubuntu 20.04 yet. While the 18.04 builds will run if downloaded, there are issues with certain functions in them not working as expected. They aren't ones I am willing to forgo just to run Mint 20.1.

Additionally Clem stated that LMDE4 will get Cinnamon 4.8 at some point. So I'm quite happy with waiting and using that as and when it comes.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Hello,
I presently use the 20.1 beta and everything works perfectly. I am even able to use WINE perfectly with Office 2010. Keep up the good work guys!
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp

Return to “Releases & Announcements”