Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon – BETA Release

Post by antikythera »

Also here now too - https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11112

Fairly compact but it does direct readers to the proper announcements
The Linux Mint developers have published a new testing release, Linux Mint 20.1 Beta, which introduces a number of new features. There is a new IPTV application, called Hypnotix, performance improvements for the Cinnamon desktop, and there is a web app manager which helps integrate web apps and into the desktop. This development release also includes way to mark files as favourites for quick access later. "Time and time again we need to access the same files. Up until Linux Mint 20.1 we would remember where they were stored and slowly get to them using the file manager, bookmark their containing folder to get to them faster, look in the recently opened document section, hoping to find them in there, clutter our desktop with direct links... Well, there's a much better way now! If you're working on a file and you know you access it often, right-click it and select 'Add to Favorites'. You'll see a little star pop up in your panel. That's where all favorite files are, just one click away." Further information can be found in the project's release announcements for each of the distribution's three editions -
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

I'm looking forward to it! :D
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

I put it in a VirtualBox VM, and it installed fine and the Guest Additions too. So far, it feels *way* snappier than even my host Mint 20 Cinnamon.
\o/ :D
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royt911 »

I can't get it started in Virtualbox. I get FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted. And when I go back in settings, I cannot click on half of the settings any more. They are grayed out, so to speak. This is using Linux Mint 20 as host.

I just tried it on my other computer that has windows 10 as host. Same message and it also grayed out the settings after I tried to adjust. Both had a check mark saying saved under the machine.

I took a screen shot. Can somebody show me how to post an image from my laptop? I forget how I did it before. Thanks.
]
dave_2018
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave_2018 »

I just installed this on a Dell XPS L322x (2013) laptop. It was a piece of cake! No problems at all. AMAZING! :D

The Dell system has 8GB of memory and a 250GB hard drive.

Great job to the all the guys who worked to get this out. Also, a great job on your other project "HYPNOTIX". This really has a future.

Again, thanks for a great product.

And to you all, be SAFE!
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

royt911 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:00 pm I took a screen shot. Can somebody show me how to post an image from my laptop? I forget how I did it before. Thanks.
Do you mean where to put the screenshot so you can link it to the forum? You could use a site like imgur.com but I don't think you have any control over privacy settings or anything.

I've never see what you're describing you had with Virtualbox; did you verify your iso image? Maybe it's corrupted?
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royt911 »

I guess I should of said picture. I took a screen shot of the virtualbox and how it was grayed out and wanted to post it for everyone to see. I saw in a forum post in 2015 that there was an attachment button near the reply button but I don't see it anymore. I did get it to work finally on windows 10 host. But not on my linux mint 20 host.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

royt911 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:38 am I saw in a forum post in 2015 that there was an attachment button near the reply button but I don't see it anymore.
Scroll down a little... it's below the reply entry box. Attachments can be up to 200 KB in size.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jecht187
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jecht187 »

Hey guys,

Here are great names for the next instalments.. just suggestions :-)

20.2 - Vanessa
20.3 - Wanda
21 - Xenia
21.1 - Yolanda
21.2 - Zelda

Enjoy!!
:-)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

jecht187 wrote: Here are great names for the next instalments.. just suggestions :-)
Great ideas. :) Know that the 20.x series will all start with a U, 21.x series will all start with a V, etc.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Has there ever been a 'Karen' :mrgreen: My wife would love it
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepi wrote: Has there ever been a 'Karen' :mrgreen: My wife would love it
About 12 years ago, I was dating a woman named Elyssa, and I was eager to let her know her name was also the codename selected for the upcoming Mint release. She was clearly not as thrilled.
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

20.2 should be named Uzaki.

It will be "sugoi dekai" :)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

This release is great, I've switched to it on bare metal from LMDE4 now after running it in VM since official release. The Vulkan support for my AMD R3 is much better with the more recent mesa and amdgpu builds. There's no glitching in chromium any more with text in this forum for example.

I can see a subtle overall performance improvement over Cinnamon 4.6 too.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Yes, I quite like it, too. I wouldn't wonder if the quality would already be high enough for the final release. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm Yes, I quite like it, too. I wouldn't wonder if the quality would already be high enough for the final release. :mrgreen:
It possibly is, I've not looked on github at open issues though or trello to see if there's any blockers mentioned by the developers. Since it runs a bit better than LMDE4 did on my hardware, I'm more than happy to use it anyhow :)

I've tried everything I could think of from my normal usage patterns and not had an issue apart from printing being a little slower to start but that's something I can live with. I know that statement is tempting fate...

EDIT - there is a minor issue with the original orange numix-gtk theme so I've switched over to the blue variant. It needs some tweaking for use with Cinnamon 4.8 as some of the components aren't rendered the proper size like search boxes and popup dialogue title bars.
Last edited by antikythera on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royt911 »

Moem wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:43 am
royt911 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:38 am I saw in a forum post in 2015 that there was an attachment button near the reply button but I don't see it anymore.
Scroll down a little... it's below the reply entry box. Attachments can be up to 200 KB in size.
I still don't see it. On Mint or Windows 10 computers. The only reply I see other than the quotes on the side is at the bottom of the page and I don't see where you can attach a photo.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

royt911 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:22 pm
Moem wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:43 am
I still don't see it. On Mint or Windows 10 computers. The only reply I see other than the quotes on the side is at the bottom of the page and I don't see where you can attach a photo.
A small misunderstanding. After you click on Reply (or the quote doohicky) the Attachment thingamabob is below the box where you type your reply.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Maybe it's not allowed for normal level forum members in the Releases & Announcements section. I don't see the option to attach anything other than a signature in this thread when replying either.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”