Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” MATE – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” MATE – BETA Release

Post by clem »

Last edited by SMG on Sun May 01, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked to prevent spam posts from being added.
rhY

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” MATE – BETA Release

Post by rhY »

Here is my detailed analysis of the several bugs I encountered installing Mint MATE on bare metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6rofiwYvs

Great potential, but this beta definitely needs lots of work.

Thanks again mint team. Please don't be too upset about my constructive criticism. I'm trying to help.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

rhY wrote: Here is my detailed analysis of the several bugs I encountered installing Mint MATE on bare metal:
See the "Bug Reports" section in the blog post.
rhY

Post by rhY »

Are you suggesting I type out all the bugs I find in the video?

I will, just curious as to what you're saying. :)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

rhY wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:46 pm Are you suggesting I type out all the bugs I find in the video?

I will, just curious as to what you're saying. :)
I doubt anyone is going to want to sit through nearly an hour and a half but kudos for coming up with enough content to fill a recording that long.

Thankfully YouTube has your back, so you don't need to type everything out. There's a transcript feature that automatically generates a text based version of what is said. Click on the video menu and open the transcript, copy and paste the relevant stuff into any bug reports. As you speak American English the accuracy of the transcript should be quite high.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

rhY wrote: Are you suggesting I type out all the bugs I find in the video?
I'm suggesting that you submit bugs as directed. Posting a video here doesn't do much, unless I'm misunderstanding what you intended.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Maybe I misunderstand the meaning of "bug" but I don't think personal opinions of what should be or shouldn't be Mint is a bug.
Admittedly I did not watch the entire hour and a half video and skipped around for about 5 minutes but I didn't see any mention of a bug.
... Maybe nothing about Mint bugs me. Dunno. I too would like to see Gimp included but it's just a couple of clicks away to install.
It's easy enough to make Mint like you want it. I'm past that learning curve. One size does not fit all.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

JoeBingo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:45 am Maybe I misunderstand the meaning of "bug" but I don't think personal opinions of what should be or shouldn't be Mint is a bug.
Admittedly I did not watch the entire hour and a half video and skipped around for about 5 minutes but I didn't see any mention of a bug.
... Maybe nothing about Mint bugs me. Dunno. I too would like to see Gimp included but it's just a couple of clicks away to install.
It's easy enough to make Mint like you want it. I'm past that learning curve. One size does not fit all.
This. There are very few bugs shown in that video. It's mostly complaints about the defaults not meeting someones own personal preferences. There is a lot of feedback from a lot of users that goes into the decisions made for the defaults. And some choices are made because things don't work properly, what we want to take responsibility for maintaining, etc.

A good example is using the dark theme by default. For one, not everyone wants that. I don't believe even a majority do. On top of that, while the person making the video may not have run into it in his own personal use, dark themes have well known and unfixable issues. They don't always display properly in gtk2 apps or others that rely on gtk2 theming, like Qt. They also break things in browsers which everyone does use. So one person may prefer them, they simply aren't a choice as the default.

That is just one example of why a certain default is chosen. We try to make choices that we can make work properly and will work for the majority of users.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Some issues mentioned are caused by upstream changes to MATE itself rather than at distribution level as well. For example, the desktop background images taking a long time to load the first time you open the dialog. All distributions I have tried since MATE became GTK3 have suffered to an extent with that. Linux Mint do not solely develop MATE, only one or two Mint Developers are listed as part of the MATE team and I'm not sure how active Clem really is in that regard which is why I said one or two. The MATE project lead is actually Martin Wimpress at present who is behind UbuntuMATE.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”