How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.2

Post by clem »

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.2

Post by JosephM »

Already tried it this morning and it upgraded without a hitch.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Upgrade went smoothly here also :)
Thanks to the Dev team.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lamar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lamar »

I upgraded three machines today. Zero problems.Good job Linux team and leader.
lamar
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I followed the instructions at the link and had the problems illustrated below**, but after the official attempt 'uma' was the Mint distro in official-package-repositories.list, so apt-get upgrade completed the process.

** Attach image is missing from the forum's GUI....?

Here's they are:
viewtopic.php?p=2036607#p2036607
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

Well that was easy, zero problems !
Well done.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Super-fast, no problems - thanks a bunch, Clem & company! I was a little worried about grub being reinstalled, but it was never an issue.
JohnBdigital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnBdigital »

I upgraded Linux Mint 20.1 to 20.2 on a dual boot system and it went smooth... :D
Thanks
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon...
doodah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doodah »

Beauties!
No probs out of Update Manager.

Whoa! 40 min later I find that nemo's file search is not working on either machine here. My bad, should have caught that.
So far all it gives me is "No files found"

It's really different.
Last edited by doodah on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

No problems here.... now I'll do the wife's machine.
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Following the official method, I got some error messages, graphics glitches (see link in post above). The official method failed to complete, but I could finish it with apt update/upgrade, which wanted to install about 25 new packages, mostly xfce stuff which I had previously removed (I use fluxbox+lxde), along with a few hundred MB of pictures and icons that I never use and had previously removed. Then apt suggested that I remove most of those just-installed packages with apt autoremove, which I did.

So I started over; erased 20.2, restored 20.1, changed ulyssa to uma in the 20.1 official-package-repositories.list, ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and now have

$ cat /etc/lsb*
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.2
DISTRIB_CODENAME=uma
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.2 Uma"
without installing and then "autoremoving" a bunch of packages. So far everything's working fine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SantaFe »

Just did the update. First thing was when it started, a window popped up saying:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.
. When I clicked on the close button, another window opened with these error codes:

E: Invalid record in the preferences file, no Package header
E: Unable to lock the list directory
So I tried Software Updater, and that showed all the things it was gonna update/install and now I have Linux Mint 20.2. Update manager still throws those two pop-up windows, but when I close them, if there are updates it'll install them. Hmmm.... :o
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

I upgraded my test system with no problem so then tried my production machine which has a virtually identical Mint/Cinnamon installation. Everything worked fine until I tried to run usrmerge. Then I got the message:
"Setting up usrmerge (23) ...cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/lib64/../lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.31.so': No such file or directory".

It is true my system does not have a folder /usr/lib64 and never has. I installed an old image, ran all the updates and tried again with the same result. I tried eliminating all the errors thrown up by usrmerge (mostly duplicate files in /bin and /usr/bin) but this caused a lot of failures so I have just settled to use 20.2 without the merge feature. Will this cause problems with future updates?

Apart from that thanks for a good upgrade and I like the "search in file" feature.
Cheers, Mike
Eric23
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eric23 »

SantaFe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:06 am Just did the update. First thing was when it started, a window popped up saying:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.
. When I clicked on the close button, another window opened with these error codes:

E: Invalid record in the preferences file, no Package header
E: Unable to lock the list directory
So I tried Software Updater, and that showed all the things it was gonna update/install and now I have Linux Mint 20.2. Update manager still throws those two pop-up windows, but when I close them, if there are updates it'll install them. Hmmm.... :o
I had the same massage as your first one. I have no idea if its normal or if my system is now borked.
isahk01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by isahk01 »

My current version of LM is 19.2. I need to upgrade to 19.3 before moving forward. below is the error msg:
GPG error: https://repo.skype.com/deb stable InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1F3045A5DF7587C3 Skype Linux Client Repository <se-um@microsoft.com>The repository 'https://repo.skype.com/deb stable InRelease' is not signed.

try to find remove any files but didn't work
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

isahk01 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:27 am My current version of LM is 19.2. I need to upgrade to 19.3 before moving forward.
Please start a new topic for your question, this is an announcement topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Todd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Todd »

Hi. I have successfully upgraded from Mint 20.1 to Mint 20.2, however, I have a question regarding step 4:
4. Convert the system with usrmerge

We recommend you convert your system with usrmerge. This is done already for all fresh installations of Linux Mint 20.1 and 20.2.
I had done a fresh install of Mint 20.1 when support ended for my previous version of 18.3. Since I had a fresh installation of 20.1 at that time, does that mean the usrmerge is not necessary when upgrading to 20.2? Or do I still need to perform this step?

Appreciate some clarification. Thanks.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edition running on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon
Todd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Todd »

OK, I think I'm answering my own question...

If I enter "ls -la /" in Terminal, I can see symlinks for "bin -> usr/bin", "bin -> usr/bin", etc. So usrmerge already exists, and does not need to be installed since I upgraded from a fresh Mint 20.1 install. However, since usrmerge was not included in a fresh Mint 20.0 install, and is not included in an upgrade from 20.0, one would need to install it if upgrading from a Mint 20 fresh install to Mint 20.2 (Mint 20.0 -> Mint 20.1 -> Mint 20.2).

That's my understanding.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edition running on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

One thing I just ran into after a successful upgrade - my mirrors had been reset to the defaults.
denwar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denwar »

Upgrade itself went smooth for me (20.1 -> 20.2 xfce)

However, I had to quit the update-manager and restart it, for the update to show.
I also had to flush my DNS cache after the upgrade as some websites strangely refused to load (server not found).

Return to “Releases & Announcements”