Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
saxoli

System Sounds - Is it a bug or a feature ?

Post by saxoli »

Hy everyone,

I've just downloaded LinuxMint 8, played around a little bit, first of all nice look !!!

But where are the systemsounds gone - no way to change them ?

And what kind of sound-mixer will be installed in final version of Helena ?

I can't change/find the options, switches for example MicBoost, Duplicate Front, Channel Mode or Surround Mode.

Only pre configured options, like 4.1 Souround ?

Many greetings,

Oliver
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Husse »

This topic is for bugs in the upcoming Mint 8 - at the time of writing is it not released yet but will (hopefully) soon be
Edit - and it was released about five minutes later :)
niraj

Post by niraj »

hi guys
there is a popping sound coming esp during booting of the computer. i read about similar kind of sound in ubuntu 9.10, also a fix is available. though not sure where!!

fix : http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/ ... audio-fix/
Last edited by niraj on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

I want to tell you I tested Mint 8 RC1 with an ATI graphic card. I must use the compatibility mode, because when I use the default choice (start LinuxMint), it started but after a moment, I've got a black screen but no screen desktop. :?

Main menu and Gnome Menu applets have Ubuntu icon.

Bye.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

An upstream bug that I had with ubuntu and edubuntu occurs with Mint 8 RC1. I've reported it here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/481152

Basically, the Live CD won't finish booting up into X and the screen starts flickering. I've never had a problem with my desktop and ubuntu/mint until 9.10/Helena. As I mentioned in my bug report, I suspect it is my nVidia graphics card that is causing the problems, as RC1 works well on my Acer laptop with an Intel graphics chip.

My non-working system specs:
Dell XPS Desktop
3.0 GHz hyperthead (not DuoCore)
2GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
snuff

Post by snuff »

Laptop (Insprion 1501) suspend function problems - had a black screen. another time loaded into desktop but some kind of crash resulting in no menu/panel. another. loaded to desktop but screen stayed dim.
Last edited by snuff on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

This is a fairly simple one. At some point in either the Ubuntu or Debian dev cycle the VIA-DXS controls were dropped from alsa-mixer.

This was fixed in proposed linux-image-2.6.31-15-generic:

" * sound: via82xx: move DXS volume controls to PCM interface"

While there are no longer any VIA toggles I can now achieve reasonably acceptable sound quality/volume.

Those are very common audio cards so some folks will be baffled.

Edit:

Instead of going for 2.6.31-15 I jumped the bus and changed to 2.6.32-2.

Sound is good. No ill effects so far.
Last edited by kansasnoob on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

Re: Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Postby grizwald on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 pm

1/ Files dragged and dropped into sub directories cause the contents of that directory to disappear.

2/ Several Brasero bugs have been brought across from Ubuntu.
When a data CD burn is complete, the drawer does not pop open like before. Making a second copy of the disc is another area needing attention.
The Ubuntu version creates burn errors sometimes but so far the mint version seems to be OK

Is it possible to just graft the Mint 7 version across and dump this one? The Mint 7 version of Brasero worked perfectly.

Fantastic effort in getting the RC1 out for us to test, I really appreciate all the effort that has gone into doing this.

G.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

Have a problem with etc/xorg/xorg.conf. Found it when I wanted to merge the NVIDIA-server settings with it. I got an error warning: "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!" with an Attention sign. When the normal user get it, it's all right, user has nothing to do there, but as root? :x

When i looked it up, that file was nearly empty, Nothing in about the screen or the mouse.
So I copied the xorg.conf file from my Gloria install and pasted it in.

Ok, it works fine now, but not everybody has such an "old" file.
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Hi

Just tested dual booting with xp, mint on a spare drive, setup reports my xp as windows 7, this may be
due to the fact that I have had win 7 on there previously but got rid of it by repairing my boot sector with
fixmbr and fixboot commands, the install went ok, about 25 mins, on restart I see the bios info then grub
loading, it waits at this point for about 20 seconds, then the menu shows up and times out, then waits an-
other 10 seconds before it starts to boot, once booted everything seems fine. Ive set xp to default boot op-
tion using Startup Manager, which by the way, wont run from the menu, it needs to be run from the
terminal, as does ntfs-config, not sure what thats about.

I’m thinking the slow boot may be the fact that I have some orphaned parts of win 7s bootloader on my c
drive and grub is looking for win 7 before it shows the menu(just a hunch)

All in all, I love it and cant wait for the final, even if I do have to reinstall xp first, just to clean up the
bootup.
:D
tawan

Post by tawan »

BUG: Desktop Image is ugly.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

tawan wrote:BUG: Desktop Image is ugly.

seconded

where is the shiny glance mint had have had till now?

A great to the top fading grey area with a little green triangle?

That's not Mint for me.

My apologies to the artist and to them who decided about this, but it looks not

"Minty" enough for me.

Maybe the Glorious Gloria has spoiled me?
talava

Post by talava »

This is just a cosmetic problem, but kind of annoying. When gnome desktop is starting it first shows the login screen wallpaper, even though I have automatic login enabled. It ruins the beautiful boot experience of previous releases.
Also: is the login screen really not themeable in Helena?

EDIT: I changed the splash-images in /usr/share/images/xsplash to all-black. Now the loading splash is much more visually pleasing.

I second the notion on changing the default wallpaper.

This is becoming a great release. Mint has got allmost everything spot-on!
Last edited by talava on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

A LiveCD session was great, with even added Kaffeine containing the plugins needed for excellent FreeView reception and better visual clarity and performance than Mint-7, but ubuntu-restricted-extras failed to install MS core TTF, as per Ubuntu 7.10. A wider choice of desktops would be nice, but I selected the Mint-7 version.
Actual installation for multi-boot operation failed just short of completion, so Bug #481852 in ubiquity (Ubuntu); "Mint-8RC1 Installer crashed" was submitted as requested by the Error message window.
sgarnett

Post by sgarnett »

The pulsating splash logo looks horrible on my Dell 1905FP flat-panel display. The Ubuntu Karmic version looks OK (functionally, if not aesthetically), and the white parts of the Mint logo are OK too. However, the pulsating green fill area is streaked and flickers badly. The boundaries of the streaks or bands move as the brightness pulses. I think this is just an inherent artifact of the limited color gamut.

I suggest either:
1) Keep the shade of green uniform everywhere in the logo for each brightness level.
2) Only pulse the brightness of the white portions of the logo.
Last edited by sgarnett on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgarnett

Post by sgarnett »

I find it astounding that using synaptic and the mint* front-ends for apt behind a proxy is STILL a pain. This is a very old and very annoying problem. From a user point of view, it seems incredibly obvious that setting the "system wide" automatic proxy should set the automatic proxy "system wide". Failing there, it would be nice if synaptic could actually handle automatic (*.pac) proxy settings in its built-in proxy page.

Yes, Ubuntu has the same problem, and yes, today, I plan to parse through the .pac script and find the proxy port myself, but this is a really old and "kludgy" problem that is very fundamental to the user experience (unless they never intend to install ANY software or updates).

Since a proxy setup app is included in the menus and supposedly handles automatic proxies, and EVERY installation will have apt, the proxy app should be able to add the parsed proxy information to the apt configuration.
Wamukota

Post by Wamukota »

Broadcom 43xx STA wifi drivers missing, forcing me to use a cable connection with my laptop to get my wireless going. No such problems in Mint 7, as the drivers could be fetched from the CD itself.

Solution : Include 'patch_2.5.9-5_i386.deb' from 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/pool/main/p/patch/' on Mint 8 CD

Alain
Rovanion

Post by Rovanion »

I got three papercuts immediatly on booting the LiveCD.

1. There is an obvious green square outside of the flashing Linux Mint logo on Boot. The logo was also too large but that might be solved once I install the distribution.

2. Was the standard background imeage. The green gradient in the lower left corner is plain ugly.

3. The installer was only partially translated and the English and in my case Swedish texts did not match. This example is found in the partitioning part of the installer:

English header - Where do you want to put Linux Mint?
Swedish option - Installera dem sida vid sida, välj sedan mellan dem vid varje uppstart - in English: Install them side by side, then choose between the both each boot.

This is slightly offtopic but I couldn't find the translation at launchpad. But the Swedish translation talks about running Windows or some other OS as a dualboot meanwhile the English header asks where the user wants to install.

One odd thing is that the icon size option for the MintMenu Main button does not change anything, not even if you make the Gnome-Panel as large as possible. All other icons, except the show desktop one, scale with the Gnome-Panel. Along with that there is no difference inbetween icon size 1 and 2 on the Applications Icon size.

When the Application menu icon size is set up to 3 or 4 the submenu-text is at the bottom of the icon, not centered as it should be. The text size should also be customizeable as the icon size.

The text showed during the actual install of Linux Mint was also only partly translated.
joebobwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joebobwilson »

Proprietary drivers will not install. ATI drivers are selected for my Radeon 4770HD and they briefly begin to download and then nothing, no matter how many times I try or reboot. Also, redrawing while scrolling in a window is VERY slow.

AMD Phenom II X2 550BE
Gigabyte GA-MA790GOT-UH 3H
4GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333
Saphire Radeon HD 4770

Return to “Releases & Announcements”