Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
bobcollard

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by bobcollard »

ho0ver wrote:Hi folks,

I just checked again, and it seems like I'm using ndiswrapper for my t41 wlan connection on Mint 7. I just tried the intel drivers for the ipw2100 on mint 8 rc1, but they won't work. I'm posting my ndiswrapper config here (from Mint 7 which works) in the hope it may help with the wireless problems people are having with this chip on mint 8.
Did you look in Hardware Drivers to see if it is in there? It would have your card name in the driver, probably. Linux Mint 8 put them there and you have to use an Ethernet connection to install them from that menu.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Nov/20/2009
New Updates

Level 1 ( Mint)

usplash-theme-mint v. 8.0.2-0.27
mintInstall v. 6.5.1
mintMenu v. 4.9.0
mintUpdate v. 3.8.6
mintInstall data 8.0.6
mint-artwork-gnome 2.6.24

* the previous wallpaper no longer appears at start up.
Now we do have Fresh wallpaper.

Level 3 (Mint-Ubuntu)

inxi v. 1.2.6-2
xsplash 0.8.4
ubuntu-xsplash-artwork 0.8.4

--------------------

I don't know if it is a small or insignificant bug.
mintMenu version 4.9.0

When i add an app from the starting menu (option -show in my favourites)
Yes, ok mintMenu adds the app to my favourites, shows and opens it but
mintMenu does not close if i click on desktop to close it.
Need to click on menu main button ( mint logo) in order to close mintMenu.

Consider add/remove apps (to/from) favourites - mintMenu

First time i open mintMenu again i click on desktop and mintMenu closes.

----------------------
(Bug posted by Rich)
mintmenu - 4.9.0
preferences - places - new
Name / Path ---(it was corrected)

---------------------
Cheers
Roberto
Last edited by Rob Brill on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lagagnon

Re: Reader For CHM Files?

Post by lagagnon »

arby wrote:Please include a default e-book reader for .CHM files!
This thread has degenerated into something it was not intended to be. The title of this thread is "Mint 8 RC1 BUG thread".
For those who do not know what a "bug" is here is the commonly accepted definition (this from Wikipedia, but others are similar):

"A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways".

Therefore this thread should not include any of the following:

-suggestions for your improvements
-your setup issues
-problems caused by not installing the ATI/nVidia drivers in Hardware Drivers
-anything else not a software bug.

A bug is usually denoted via an error message when running an application, a totally unexpected result when launching the system or an app, etc. Please be aware of this so as to not waste our developers' precious time. Inappropriate posts to this thread simply prolongs the release of the final version. For problems other than a bug please start your own thread in the appropriate forum, stating that you are using Mint 8 RC1.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

When I go into Update Manager, and there are updates available, it always starts at 48 so if there are 7 updates available it says downloading 48 to 55, the next time if there are 3 updates, it will say downloading 48 to 51.

I thought I was going crazy, but things are disappearing off the menu, I downloaded and installed the K games package through software manager, and now about half the games in the package have disappeared off the menu.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think my connection problems has some similarities with this bug for Karmic
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:I think my connection problems has some similarities with this bug for Karmic
MMMM same here, the behavior is the same in this bug as with me other than my NIC is an onboard NIC, not USB. I couldn't find a cause and eventually rolled back to Gloria after sniffing around the net and finding that this release of Ubuntu is extremely buggy.

My two bits worth is Ubuntu's 6 month release cycle isn't realistically sustainable. IMO they should focus on package updates and move to a 1+ year release cycle for OS releases, every six months just creates too much chaos.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Husse

Post by Husse »

+1 for that
tawan

Post by tawan »

marcus0263 wrote:IMO they should focus on package updates and move to a 1+ year release cycle for OS releases, every six months just creates too much chaos.
Even if Ubuntu don't it may be a smart step for Mint.
snuff

Post by snuff »

Turning my laptop off/on to suspend is still very hit and miss for me.
sleep but screen back light still on.
wake up to a black screen.
wake up to log in screen but every thing frozen.
Husse

Post by Husse »

A guy in the Swedish section in the forum has discoverd that libxine1-ffmpeg is not installed by default which I think it is in Gloria - at least I have it and I can't remember installing any codecs
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

The more I read this thread, the more convinced I become not to upgrade from Gloria to Helena, at least for the time being.
inchkape

Post by inchkape »

Again, not sure if this is a bug or not: I just had my first fsck file system check at log in. The little notice telling me so was flashing on and off, but there was no progress information (x % done) as there used to be. it flashed for about 15 seconds, then the log-in took place as normal
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I just had the first file system check as well. The output did indicate %-complete numerically. It happened very fast: starting at 3% a couple of times, the 71%, then done.
snuff

Post by snuff »

It this check is under the mint logo while booting than i have had it a number of times - for me might be something to do with so many hard resets?
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

Well I don't know if you've fixed it in 8, but in 7 I can't change my monitor refresh rate, from a "persistent USB stick" version - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=36253 - and nobody seems to know why.

I thought the main "selling point" of Linux was that any problems could be dealt with by the community....? :wink: :)
Arathas

Post by Arathas »

I was just wondering if there was anyone else experiencing problems with the ibus IME that came with the release candidate. It seemed that the SCIM input method previously in Gloria was more stable and reliable. Ibus has on several occasions stopped showing up on my toolbar panel. I regularly had to reconfigure it to get it to work properly or show up at all even though none of the settings had changed among other problems. I finally just installed SCIM (which i had to uninstall ibus to get to work at all) and haven't had a problem since. I am not sure if this is just a problem i am having with ibus but i figured it might be worth mentioning.
snuff

Post by snuff »

I got these two messages in my panel tonight.
Cannot get laptop panel brightness.

Session active, not inhibited screen idle,
if you can see this text your display server is broken and you should notify your distributor
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

newW2 wrote:I just had the first file system check as well. The output did indicate %-complete numerically. It happened very fast: starting at 3% a couple of times, the 71%, then done.
Hi,

The same for me - like yours.
inchkape

Post by inchkape »

ncooling wrote:Just for the information of the group: I had a computer fry on me because of the video card getting overheated with mint8. I can confirm this because I swapped hard disks to another tower and the card (different one but nvidia) was so hot the plastic lugs melted and the heatsink fan fell off. The card was impossible to touch. This occurred during watching youtube videos.
Part of being on the front lines of the new package gives me an excuse to get a new one.
Nick

I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Found this in the forum, could be a bug, not sure
Helena does not start automatically on an encrypted root partition while Karmic installed from the alternate CD does
Can be that the alternate CD is different

Return to “Releases & Announcements”