Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
MaddogF16

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by MaddogF16 »

bobevt wrote:When I give command
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

I get the text editor but a page with no
text on it.
It says it is loading the file but I get nothing.

I need to get to this file to so I can add 'acpi_osi="Linux"' to my kernel's boot parameters. This is an example of a menu.lst file, with the part I need to add in bold (the rest may differ slightly in your file):

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid a91f7379-e93b-490c-b541-0681173bccc2
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=a91f.. ro quiet splash
acpi_osi="Linux"
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

This will keep my fan from staying on.
Found this fix on the net worked great on Mint 7 I'm now using Mint 8

Thanks Bobevt

Uses Grub2 now so things aren't the same anymore. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
joebobwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joebobwilson »

Hamburn,
I did read the known issues, but it was not immediately clear to me that the issue you reference was my problem. Also I tried to refresh as directed there as well as by running apt-get update and the problem still persists. No drivers for me.
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

As requested, here is the bug report for the inxi version.

There is a more up to date inxi available that has several new features. It can be grabbed from here:

[url]ftp://cathbard.com/binary[/url]

and the source files from:

[url]ftp://cathbard.com/source[/url]

PS: inxi has been tested to install ok all the way back to at least Elyssa so it should be safe to add the new one to those repos as well. I haven't tested it on Daryna but I have checked that the dependencies are ok back as far as that too. I made it etch proof recently so it should be safe even further back than Daryna but I haven't checked.
AKiRa121

Post by AKiRa121 »

It's been three times I get this, right after starting session, some icons and my user name don't appear, it fixes when I close session or reboot.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Made another drink coaster today using Brasero so I've changed back to Mint 7. Ubuntu 9.10 version of Brasero makes drink coasters too. Never had any from Mint Cassandra onwards but Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 RC1 have both been responsible for ending that dream run. BTW I am using the same batch of CD's and DVD's that worked fine before UB9.10 and Mint 8 were released.

Sorry guys but you did ask for bug reports.

G.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

grizwald, there is a Brasero update available for Mint 8 and I still recommend turning off those darn plugins, they always cause errors for me. I always try Brasero with a RW disk first because I know what you mean about creating coasters. :)
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Running from the live cd I have opened Firefox and tried to enter the forum. The page opens but the double click adverts do not display and the page closes and returns to the desktop. Trying to open firefox again reports that firefox has not been able to restore previous settings and closes. Any further attempt to open firefox returns you immediately to the desktop. This only seems to happen on the Mint site.
tawan

Post by tawan »

1) During install the slideshow says Mint is more "performant" than Windows. This is a French word I think.

2) In "open as root mode" (Nautilus with its red background) you get an error when you click on the "computer" shortcut at the top. "computer locations are not sported" (or similar).

Apart from those little niggles it is all very nice indeed on a functional basis, functionality 10/10 but looks have taken a slump 6/10.
Rovanion

Post by Rovanion »

One thing that I have thought for quite some time is that the Administration and Settings menus are too large.
They could both be split into a third menu called Visual options or something like that. May be a good solution. May also be just cumbersome and unneeded. But the Admin and Settings menus are to large as they are, too much scrolling needed.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

What do I have to do to get the 'mark all upgrades' button back on Synaptic. I don't care what it takes, I want it back. Your automatic updater is not appropriate to my internet connection for half of the year, and neither is going through every single update and manually marking it for upgrade. I suppose I will have to use apt-get until I find a way around this "improvement" :evil: .
primski

Post by primski »

I don't mind the fact that Firefox's google search uses custom Mint search, but what i do mind the lack of option to set number of google's results to 100.

If you go to google.com and hit preferences you can override default 10 results per page to, i set mine to, 100. You cannot do this with Mint's custom google search. This is the sole reason why I do not use it and is making my browsing experience very difficult. I have to set my homepage to google.com and use it everytime i need it. makes me use firefox differently than i've been using it for years.

This is a bug and i'd like to know if there's a anyway i can fix it?
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Eclipse wierdness

Post by rps63ifid »

Running Mint RC1; installed with no problems and have bumped into only one thing that has me completely stumped: I normally pull down the stock Eclipse JEE install for 32-bit Linux from eclipse.org and stand it up under /opt/eclipse. Under Mint RC1, portions of the Eclipse UI don't seem to respond to the mouse. The problems render it nearly impossible to use. Two of many examples:

1. Try to set the default font for the basic text for structured text editors under preferences. If you click the corresponding entries in the preferences panel to find that font and then click the "Edit" button on the right side of the preferences panel... nothing. Double click the font entry, however, and a font selection dialog comes up.

2. Configure an additional software install URL: click the "Add" button on the right side of the preferences panel, and the window for the site title and URL pop up. Fill in those fields and click the button to save it... nothing. Tab to that same save button so that it has focus and hit enter. It works and adds. With the new site selected in the list of sites, click the button to test that site... nothing. With that test button having focus, hit enter... it tests the connection.

I didn't experience these problems with Ubuntu 9.10 on this same box earlier this week when I installed this same version of Eclipse. These same kinds of problems make it impossible for me to then go install new Eclipse plugins from the site I just added.

I am pulling down the Eclipse install via Synaptic to see if I bump into the same problems there, but this one has me completely stumped...

Can anyone else confirm this or provide any insight?

Following up: the Eclipse installed via Synaptic does not exhibit this same behavior, but also does not include all of the various plugins that come with the stock Eclipse JEE. I'd love some insight as to what this is.

More follow-up: Apparently some people /have/ experienced this under Ubuntu 9.10 (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... clipse.org); invoking it as

GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true /opt/eclipse/eclipse

solved the problem.
Last edited by rps63ifid on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ viking777
I think the "Mark all upgrades" button on Synaptic is removed because it is dangerous to use - you don't really know what gets updated
There was a discussion about this some time ago - don't remember if it was in a closed or open area
snuff

Post by snuff »

Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it but my laptop has completely locked up/froze on me several times only thing that sorts it is a hard reset.
Some times when dim when idle is enabled the screen stays dimmed.
Opera web browser is very slow loading.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind »

I can't compile Nvidia drivers. I had no problem in Ubuntu, but in Mint 8 RC1 I get an error 2
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind »

I find this edition a pointless upgrade. It is actually encouraging me to switch to Ubuntu.

The fact that I can't compile Nvidia drivers is just one issue that should never happen in and RC. What I can understand happening in an RC is the animation screwing up on the boot loader. This release was way too quick.

I thought Mint Linux was supposed to be about innovating on the UI, but it seems like everything is stalled or moving backwards. The wallpapers are just bad. Along with that it seems like a lot of the good things have been removed from Ubuntu and it is just Mint Linux 7 running on the new Ubuntu. A huge bug that I thought would have been resolved is still there. The really bad grey on grey titlebars of windows so you can't tell the difference between the foreground window and the background window when they overlap. Why is it called Mint Linux when the colours are all greyish chocolate?

Then there is the hack job to the package manager that basically gimps it in strange ways. You remove the ctrl-alt-backspace that Ubuntu uses to protect users but then go and protect users from the package manager, it makes no sense.

Mint Linux 7 is a great edition, I guess I will wait until 9 comes out and see if there are significant changes to suggest upgrading.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Husse wrote:@ viking777
I think the "Mark all upgrades" button on Synaptic is removed because it is dangerous to use - you don't really know what gets updated
There was a discussion about this some time ago - don't remember if it was in a closed or open area
Thanks for the reply Husse, and believe me I do understand that Mint is in general trying to cater for the less experienced user and as such this could be regarded as a 'sensible' move, but I don't think that removing important functionality from such excellent applications as Synaptic is going to win you many friends. The usual course of action if a particular mode is considered 'dangerous' is to hide it under an 'advanced' button, which in general newbies will leave alone, not to remove it altogether. It is like removing the engine from a car because road accidents can happen - it doesn't make sense. However, the point of my post was to ask if it is in any way possible, for me personally, to remove the present version of Synaptic from Mint 8 and replace it with one that works the way it always has and the way I want it to work. If it were possible I would happily substitute the present version with an earlier one or one from a Debian repository perhaps that works the way I want and need it to. I just don't know if this is technically possible and I certainly don't know how to go about it, if anyone can help with that I would be interested to hear their ideas.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

A couple more issues I came up with during my usage of Mint 8 today.

The first is relatively minor to me, just an annoyance really. Every couple of boots I get a message popping up under the Mint logo to say that some of the partitions listed in fstab cannot be mounted. It goes on to list just about every partition I have save for / and swap. When the boot completes all the partitions are mounted normally. So what does this mean? It could well have something to do with the fact that on this release - as with every other release of Mint that I have ever installed - it failed to populate fstab and I had to do it manually. The only entries on the auto generated fstab were / and swap. I install Mint in exactly the same way that I install every other distro, and Mint is the only one where this occurs.

The second, and far more important issue for me is that I am now unable to use my ZTE mobile broadband modem. My Huawei modem is working well, but the ZTE will not work at all. Again in Mint7 it works faultlessly. Having been using these modems for some years now I know quite a lot about how to get them working, but I cannot succeed with Mint 8. In addition to trying with gnome network manager (usually the best for this type of connection) I have tried gnome-ppp and Umtsmon without success. I have installed usb_modeswitch and configured it for my modems, I have even tried installing extra rules in /etc/udev/rules.d all to no avail. I have tried to manually modprobe the correct usbserial vendor and product id's into the system, but it will not be recognised as a modem only a storage device. I don't know what changes have been made to udev in Mint8, but something is causing this behaviour and for me it is a complete showstopper.
karo

Post by karo »

Hi!

I had a problem with sound in Amarok. It seems to be a Ubuntu problem too. I found a solution here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... tion/87299. Installing the additional packages as Joe stated made it work. Maybe these packages can be set up to be installed automatically with Amarok? (libxine1-ffmpeg,
phonon-backend-gstreamer).

I also experienced the previously stated problem with the screen going dark and no response and the "could not mount" message on start up.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

SOLVED!

KEYBOARD PROBLEM

-Dual-booting with Win. XP
-I have been using Mint 8 RC1 since it was released the day before yesterday.
-Now my keyboard works only as far as the log-in password entry.
- After that, all keys go dead.
-Tried a different K/B --Same problem.
-Keyboard works Ok with live CD.
-NO PROBLEM IN WINDOWS

NOTE: This happened while trying to copy a link from YouTube.

Solution:

-Caused by keyboard accessibility problem
-"Only accept long keypresses" was accidentally turned on.
GO TO KEYBOARD PREFERENCES
Accessibility>Slow keys: uncheck "Only accept long keypresses
Last edited by npap on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”