Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by dswaim91 »

I cannot log in as root even after giving the account a password. I keep getting "authentication failure". Any ideas?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In reply to Spudgun's post on page one; I ran into the same sluggish behavior from Grub 2 and did a little investigating. I found that the poor response was due to Mint 8 being installed on one HD and Grub 2 booting from another HD.

With Mint 8 as the only installed OS in a system with 2 internal HDs, if Mint 8 is installed on sdb and Grub2 is booting from sda, the response is exactly as you described. Conversely, if Mint 8 is installed to the HD with the boot sector aboard (usually sda) there is no sluggishness and it doesn't seem to matter how many OS are installed.

For further discussion please see this post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p206816
vassilianna

Post by vassilianna »

login window never appears..it keeps loading and reloading continously
niraj

Post by niraj »

iluzion wrote:1) Each sound event is preceded by a loud crackling sound through speakers/headphones. The same problem applies to Ubuntu 9.10 (Laptop Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 [Realtek HD Audio])

2) Wireless USB adapter D-Link DWA-140 [ralink rt2870] in Mint 8 sees the wireless network, but doesn't want to connect. The same problem applies to Ubuntu 9.10. This adapter works out-of-box on Linux Mint 7.
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/ ... audio-fix/ will fix sound issue.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I can't remember that Insert (the key) had the annoying behavior to delete text instead of pushing it ahead. Think it's new and we could well do without it (any Windows user recognizes this)
This is maybe not Helena, the new (?) open Catalyst Control Center as root option does nothing
But I finally managed to get dual monitors as I want it
You need to run sudo amdcccle instead
walterav

Post by walterav »

User switching is not working for me, logout does work.
User switching leads to a black screen and than it seems to hang/freeze

info:
ati hd2600xt using compiz, Ati driver 9.10 from ati site itself
xorg patch clearback:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments=all #k0ekk0ek's ppa
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

joebobwilson wrote:Hamburn,
I did read the known issues, but it was not immediately clear to me that the issue you reference was my problem. Also I tried to refresh as directed there as well as by running apt-get update and the problem still persists. No drivers for me.
sorry JBW for sounding harsh, wasn't meant so.

Have you tried to get the driver over menu ->system -> hardware drivers?

I have have experienced, too, that it comes not automatically. I had to go this way. Then I got it, and could install it. But I got the problems about that I have written in my first posting in this thread.

wish you luck

H.
saxoli

usb-hdd, keymap, compiz, recovery console - problems

Post by saxoli »

O.K., sorry for my first post, the first post!

So ? Is it a bug or a feature ??

After playing around with live CD, I dare to install Mint8 on usb-hdd.

First it took 10 times to run installer, gparted, better the ntfsresize process, ran in circles to check my usb-hdd.

Then somehow installer let me install, choosed german, while installing the language packs downloaded 2 times.

First boot with grub2, it's takes very long, double time of old grub and Mint7, to load the kernel (bootimage or whatever you want to call it) and to get to the LM bootlogo. So boottime slower than Mint7. (And now booting Mint7 with grub2 much slower, too !!!).

Then next screen GDM-Screen(?), then login screen. (Too many screens for my opinion).

Login, the keyboard layout not german, irish ?? Changed it, no problem, but why ??

Then the expected sound problems, only predefined sound preferences and no way to change sound events.

Can't enable visual effects (compiz), maybe new intel-driver problems, I have Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Intel.
With Mint7, same machine, no problems.

Then can't unlock "Login-Screen" to automate the login for my account.

Where to change GDM-Style ??

So this was enough for first impression. Logoff and reboot.

Second boot with grub2. After loading kernel get this message:
drm: [intelfb_restore] * ERROR Failed to restore crtc configuration

Third boot, with system restore option in grub2.
No way to restore x_server anymore ?

Choosing "normal boot" first menu entry of recovery console.
Terminal-Login, startx, brings back graphical desktop.

But no way to boot in desktop with standard boot, always the same drm-error.

Greetings,

Oliver
lexon

Post by lexon »

While using Firefox, I have noticed sometimes, I click on a URL and nothing happens for almost thirty seconds. The pointer does not do anything, no indication anything is happening. I am using Mint 8 RC1 in a separate drive. I switch back to a Mint 7 drive, and Firefox works normally. No delays. I have repeated this test a few times.

lex
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

Comments presented in the installer aren’t full translated in French (try with oem installation).

Bye.
ezsurfer

Post by ezsurfer »

viking777 wrote:
The second, and far more important issue for me is that I am now unable to use my ZTE mobile broadband modem. My Huawei modem is working well, but the ZTE will not work at all. Again in Mint7 it works faultlessly. Having been using these modems for some years now I know quite a lot about how to get them working, but I cannot succeed with Mint 8. In addition to trying with gnome network manager (usually the best for this type of connection) I have tried gnome-ppp and Umtsmon without success. I have installed usb_modeswitch and configured it for my modems, I have even tried installing extra rules in /etc/udev/rules.d all to no avail. I have tried to manually modprobe the correct usbserial vendor and product id's into the system, but it will not be recognised as a modem only a storage device. I don't know what changes have been made to udev in Mint8, but something is causing this behaviour and for me it is a complete showstopper.
My AT&T Broadband does exactly what it does in Ubuntu 9.10 Disconnects immediately after setup, and doesn't function despite the "mint like" setup. Everything I see looks fine, but it won't connect.

Works fine in Mint7

Hope this helps.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

First I have to say I'm playing now around with Helena, with a little help from Gloria, as I mentioned before.
But that is a real bug, The problem with the installation of hard ware drivers and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf should be solved. I guess it is also the guilty when the mouse is not detected after login, as some one has written here, and other annoyances with X.
Then there is another bug: If you try to install .mint files from the portal the system wants to use the archive manager :lol:

Installation works fine with synaptic and fine with the "softwaremanager" aka mintinstaller, but not from the portal.

So, I have installed open arena again and go a round shooting now.
inchkape

Post by inchkape »

I installed Mint 8.0 Helena RC1 on my desktop comp as my main OS (I know I shouldn't but it's the only way I find bugs) and all seemed fine until this morning. I wanted to install skype and clicked the software manager entry in the main menu: Nothing happened.
Then I clicked synaptic. This time I had a pop-up warning to say something was trying to grab my mouse - but no synaptic.
After several tries, one re-log in and one reboot, it still wouldn't work. A refresh on the update manager on the taskbar seemed ok.
I finally used apt get to remove and then reinstall synaptic and all works fine again. May or may not be a bug - I'll let you know if it happens again! :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

KEYBOARD PROBLEM FIXED
CAUSED BY ACCIDENTAL ACTIVATION OF SLOW KEYS in Open Office writer.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p206806
Last edited by npap on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave_s

Post by dave_s »

Disable touchpad is now missing from mouse options.

Not a bug as such but it was a really useful feature.
inchkape

Post by inchkape »

inchkape wrote:I installed Mint 8.0 Helena RC1 on my desktop comp as my main OS (I know I shouldn't but it's the only way I find bugs) and all seemed fine until this morning. I wanted to install skype and clicked the software manager entry in the main menu: Nothing happened.
Then I clicked synaptic. This time I had a pop-up warning to say something was trying to grab my mouse - but no synaptic.
After several tries, one re-log in and one reboot, it still wouldn't work. A refresh on the update manager on the taskbar seemed ok.
I finally used apt get to remove and then reinstall synaptic and all works fine again. May or may not be a bug - I'll let you know if it happens again! :D
OK it DID happen again, right afterwards. I reinstalled (so glad i have a separate / and home partition!) and except for one click on the synaptic entry in the menu where absolutely nothing happened (it worked second time around) everything is working fine
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ hamburn
xorg.conf is truly minimalistic in Helena and I guess it will disappear in the next release
The problem with .mint files is mentioned in "Known issues" in the release notes
dave_s

Post by dave_s »

Crash on resuming from suspend.

Dell Vostro 1700.

Being a newbie I have no idea if the error is written to a file.
breusshe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by breusshe »

Husse wrote:@ hamburn
xorg.conf is truly minimalistic in Helena and I guess it will disappear in the next release
The problem with .mint files is mentioned in "Known issues" in the release notes
@Husse
xorg.conf is going away? How is X being configured then? Guess I need to pay attention more...
Brett
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

We can have every confidence that a quality Mint 8 release is forthcoming, judging by the standards set with past releases. While Mint 8 RC1 has a variety of rough edges that require patience and careful work if the release is to live up to what we expect, nevertheless if there's a crew that can make it happen it's Clem and his Mint team. So keep the bug reports coming, but be patient and slow to disparage or discourage these guys simply because you find something in this early RC not to your liking. The talented team knocking this project into shape knows what it's doing, and while they have a shopping list of things to attend to, they have everyone's best interest at heart as they strive for the level of elegant perfection we expect in the release of Mint 8!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”