Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
plutus
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by plutus »

it's not a bug but...a feature request ;)

I guess I'm not the only one using mint on a laptop between home/ work or home/university...the problem is that very often at work/university it is necessary to set a proxy which has to be excluded at home.

Why not enhance the network proxy manager to auto detect a pre-configured proxy? i.e. I'm at work (IP adress begins with 123 ->use the proxy, otherwise do not use it...or something like that)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

-------- Just a little note to myself to mark the fact that I read all the way up to here. Please disregard this :) ---------

Clem
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

scotthge wrote:Mint 8 needs to have the broadcom driver included with LiveCd. I run the livecd of Mint 8 but can not connect to my network to get updates or to install the broadcom wireless driver. so if you only have one machine with Mint on it, there is no way to set everything up until you can connect to a network for update, drivers, software, etc.

Hope this helps. I guess I will have to wait until the updated release comes out.
Did you look in Hardware Drivers to see if your Broadcom driver is there? Mine was. You will need an ethernet cable to download it, then it should work.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Yup, I found it. Thanks
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

scotthge wrote:Yup, I found it. Thanks
You're Welcome.
JimC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JimC »

bobcollard wrote:
scotthge wrote:Mint 8 needs to have the broadcom driver included with LiveCd. I run the livecd of Mint 8 but can not connect to my network to get updates or to install the broadcom wireless driver. so if you only have one machine with Mint on it, there is no way to set everything up until you can connect to a network for update, drivers, software, etc.

Hope this helps. I guess I will have to wait until the updated release comes out.
Did you look in Hardware Drivers to see if your Broadcom driver is there? Mine was. You will need an ethernet cable to download it, then it should work.
I don't have wired connections to any of my PCs. So, I would prefer the drivers were on the CD. If nothing else, at least include the .deb for popular Broadcom chipsets. Here's a download if you want to use "sneakernet" by downloading the driver from another PC and copying it to a USB Flash drive.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/b43-fwcutter

That's what I'll probably do in order to test Mint 8 on my wife's Dell Laptop. When I originally hit this issue trying Mint 8 on it, I just installed a different distro with the drivers already included instead. The harder a distro is to get working with my hardware, the less likely I'll install it, use it, or recommend it.
plutus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plutus »

another small bug: I've installed ubuntu tweaks and some features don't work...everything was fine with mint 7 and with the same version of UT
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

JimC wrote:
bobcollard wrote:

I don't have wired connections to any of my PCs. So, I would prefer the drivers were on the CD. If nothing else, at least include the .deb for popular Broadcom chipsets. Here's a download if you want to use "sneakernet" by downloading the driver from another PC and copying it to a USB Flash drive.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/b43-fwcutter

That's what I'll probably do in order to test Mint 8 on my wife's Dell Laptop. When I originally hit this issue trying Mint 8 on it, I just installed a different distro with the drivers already included instead. The harder a distro is to get working with my hardware, the less likely I'll install it, use it, or recommend it.
I think all of the install disks are getting too big and they have limited space. Since some or all of the older machines cannot burn DVDs there has to be a limit. The current Liux Mint 8 is over 1.5GB. Eventually your old distributions will not be supported anymore. You have to keep up with the times or suffer.
primski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by primski »

I got this weird notification today (see screenshot) after my screen turned black for half a second. i just opened a page in firefox and it flickered for a moment. then this notification poped up.

Here's the link to the mentioned blog post:
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2009/08/ ... of-bodges/
plutus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plutus »

another couple of issues...

-fonts are not as good as in Karmic (and in the mint 7). Of course I've installed MS Fonts and I've tried best shape and subpixel smoothing. Fonts are somehow thinner and less readable

-the mint menu button is not rendered in a good way: after clicking, dots appears (ok it's just aesthetics...)
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I installed to my laptop today (the third computer I installed to) and I too hear the strange "ticking" noice
Unfortunately internet has been partly broken in all three computers which is easily fixed according to this wiki which I wrote :) because of the same problem in Bianca, Cassandra and Celena
It virtually disappeared with Daryna
It can be my modem/router (in one unit) but I have tried with both settings for DNS relay in it
There is also a problem using Synaptic etc.. if you have not made an apt update (if my memory serves me right) but that's ok for me
Oh - and the STA driver should be included if at all possible - I think it was in Gloria
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Ok, I took a few minutes to try the Mint RC1 LiveCd tonight. Yet again...... Mint 8 does not have any drivers installed my Network Adapter or the wireless. So it is no good to me. If you are going to install a OS you shouldn't need two computers just to install it. I am running Mint 7 and have no troubles installing it. It let me connect to the internet to download hardware drivers and updates. With Mint 8, there is no way that I am able to get it on to the Internet to get the drivers that I need.
Mint has them listed in the Hardware Drivers but there is no way that I could retrieve them without a second computer or a second OS running. What good is a OS if it doesn't have atleast enough drivers to get you up and going ?

Mint 8 looks nice and believe me I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it and is still going into it. I am just saying that to me, it is worthless the way that it is because if I try to upgrade and Mint 8 doesn't contain enough drivers to get me up and going without using another computer than I am sunk ! I own just one computer and that is the one that I am on now.

Just my 2 cent.
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

scotthge wrote:Ok, I took a few minutes to try the Mint RC1 LiveCd tonight. Yet again...... Mint 8 does not have any drivers installed my Network Adapter or the wireless. So it is no good to me. If you are going to install a OS you shouldn't need two computers just to install it. I am running Mint 7 and have no troubles installing it. It let me connect to the internet to download hardware drivers and updates. With Mint 8, there is no way that I am able to get it on to the Internet to get the drivers that I need.
Mint has them listed in the Hardware Drivers but there is no way that I could retrieve them without a second computer or a second OS running. What good is a OS if it doesn't have atleast enough drivers to get you up and going ?

Mint 8 looks nice and believe me I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it and is still going into it. I am just saying that to me, it is worthless the way that it is because if I try to upgrade and Mint 8 doesn't contain enough drivers to get me up and going without using another computer than I am sunk ! I own just one computer and that is the one that I am on now.

Just my 2 cent.
In Mint 8 they put the drivers in "Hardware Drivers." You have to install them using an ethernet cable. I had to look for it, no one told me.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I can not use a cable either. Mint 8 doesn't recognize my adapter. I plugged a cable into it tonight and worked on it for about an hour trying to figure how I would get the drivers with out a internet connection. Can't be done, if you don't know what you need before you try Mint 8 on my computer. One would have to know what drivers he needed, down load them, then install Mint 8 before it would work. Again, my point is that if someone was to do a fresh install of Mint 8 and he need drivers he would be up the creek if he didn't have a second computer or a livecd of Mint 7 to boot up just to get the drivers for the network.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

scotthge: something is wrong with your setup and not Mint 8. Connecting to the Internet via an ethernet cable is a no-brainer and should be automatic and faultless with all versions of Linux from the past 4 years.

Please turn off your computer, double check all wired connections, unplug your Internet modem/router for a few seconds, plug these modems/routers back in, wait for all the lights to be correct, then reboot the computer. If you are still not connected to the Internet then open a terminal and post the output of the following to a different thread re your problem:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
ifconfig
route -n
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

This thread is turning into a scary olio, and keeping relative newbies like me from trying out Mint 8 RC1, i request that only posts related to problems that are confirmed as bugs be kept here.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

mzsade wrote:This thread is turning into a scary olio, and keeping relative newbies like me from trying out Mint 8 RC1, i request that only posts related to problems that are confirmed as bugs be kept here.
I don't agree. If it's not a bug the least we can do is help them sort it out instead of sending them packing. This thread is still part of the forum.
mattsid1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mattsid1 »

When installing Mint 8 from the Live CD I encountered a totally black background, but was still able to see the menu button, toolbars and system tray at the bottom of the screen, from which I could launch apps that could be seen clearly on the black background. I rebooted the computer and ran the live CD again, but encountered the same. I ran an md5sum check and checked the integrity of the CD, no problems, but still had the black screen. Even trying to change the screens wallpaper and color didn't help, although if I logged out, the correct wallpaper popped up and on the log on screen the default Helena wallpaper was there.

Fortunately I was able to find a workaround by clicking blindly where I knew the 'install' icon was on previous live CDs and eventually brought up the install screen. After that it was smooth sailing and had no problems installing Mint 8, after the install the black screen was gone. Although I did change up from ext4 from ext3 which required a fresh format of the drive, but doubt this would have anything to do with it.

I did a quick search and there seem to be similar problems, but occurring after install. May be related to my ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card. Anyhow am impressed with what I have seen so far. I'm noticing a substantial increase in speed, but guess that might be related to the move up to Ext4.
andydch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andydch »

I installed LM8 in virtual box on Karmic 9.10. The resolution 800x600.
Then I install Sis Mirage 671 driver and change some content in xorg.conf. As I applied in Karmic Koala.
After that i restart X desktop. The screen go blank. :( :( :(

so what's wrong with my configuration?
Linux Mint 17.3
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I don't agree. If it's not a bug the least we can do is help them sort it out instead of sending them packing. This thread is still part of the forum.
Far be it from me, i only suggested moving them to the appropriate thread category where i am sure they would get all the attention needed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “Releases & Announcements”