Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
timegonebomb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by timegonebomb »

I'm trying the RC. Very nice. No problems so far, except one: I installed gnome games and a few other games. Games don't show up in mintmenu. It is version 4.8.6. Nothing I do works. In edit menu screen, game folder is checked. All individual games are checked. I have made sure that I reloaded plugins and I even rebooted. Games never show up in mintmenu. But they do show up in gnome menu by pressing alt-f1. Oddly enough, in the all programs section of mintmenu, the games don't even show up there.
Wamukota
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wamukota »

mzsade wrote:This thread is turning into a scary olio, and keeping relative newbies like me from trying out Mint 8 RC1, i request that only posts related to problems that are confirmed as bugs be kept here.
I don't think so. A Release Candidate, in this case the first of many probably, is meant to dealt with everything that is not normal behaviour of the software. It has to be described and reported here. Some of the problems in this thread are PEBKAC, but other might be showstoppers for certain configurations. It is thanks to threads like this that newbie users, when they install the final release have a near perfect distro.

It is also known that Alfa, Beta and other RC releases are made for experienced users in order that they discover and pinpoint the problems. Less experienced users should be aware that many things will not work as expected, but are welcome to use those pre-release and join the community into helping to make this distro the best ever, - and learn something more of Linux at the same time.
Administrator http://linuxmintusers.be - The Belgian Linux Mint Website
Ubuntu User #27389
Linux Registered User #391092
andydch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andydch »

Husse wrote:@ hamburn and shane
HAL is no longer used in Ubuntu 9.10 instead it's "DeviceKit-power", "DeviceKit-disks" and "udev". I don't know if HAL still controls I/O devices like mice
But still already in Gloria anything regarding mouse etc. in xorg.conf is ignored
xorgl.conf will disappear in the long run because in simple terms X will move into the kernel, so that subsystem will be different
HI Husse,

What about notebooks/PCs with Sis Mirage 671/672 chipset? they can not be allowed to use linux mint?
:( :( :(

Or you have solutions for this?
Linux Mint 17.3
slafko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slafko »

Hi,

I installed Mint 8 RC1 and I can't get my usb wifi mouse working properly. It's not mouse issue because I tested on other computers and it works fine.

lsusb recognize when I plug in usb wifi stick (Bus 002 Device 035: ID 04fc:0538 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd) but it seems there is no signal to my mouse.
alanstanley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alanstanley »

Hi,

Not sure that this is a bug, but after having installed the update to Mint Menu a few minutes ago, the menu no longer closes if you click on the desktop - instead it is necessary to click again on the menu button to close.
ezsurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezsurfer »

This could just be as planned, but the RC1 - and updates. Twice now, the update indicator shows locked, and I've received level 1 updates (mintinstall and others) twice if I am reading correctly, both times the update indicator was indicating locked prior to the starting of the update.

In other words, it was not indicating a need to update, but there were updates in the channel.

CB
ezsurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezsurfer »

bug or something I do wrong

using blue tooth on the laptop to cell phone to get to Internet, can't do it for whatever reasons

It says it is dialing serial port, connecting, and even shows data transfer rates. But after that, I can't browse the device any longer, but can't browse the web, either. Same for Mint 7 though. Exact same behavior.

Aside, until I install blueman and use it, you wouldn't even know you have any sort of dial service on the bluetooth, default setup you only get to browse the phone's files.

More blue tooth stuff. Once I close the serial dialup, I can browse the phones files. But if I attempt to open one of the files, the browsing windows immediately close. So then I attempted to copy data from the phone to the laptop, no issue, moved right over.

CB
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Mint menu -> Preferences -> Places tab -> New
Error in the pop-up window "Edit Place" labels - Name/Path should be switched around.
(cannot add attachment to this thread, see screenshot here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p208103 )

EDIT : Fri 20 Nov.Zulu Fixed in latest update, thanks a lot ! :D
Last edited by richyrich on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven »

Now it is 19th of November 15:33 local time.

WLAN:
After the updates until this moment (95 packages) my built-in Broadcom wlan works like a dreem. The USB D-link plug-in wireless adapter also seems to work. :D

KDE applications:
Still remaining is the problem with the huge amount of packages coming down with Digikam and K3b. I understand that some packages are needed because of dependencies , but I can't understand why programs like Dolphin (file-browser), Konqueror (webb and file-browser) and Marble are included. This is totally stupid in my opinion.
I have not tested if the login-screen still get destroyed because I haven't reinstalled yet. Is there any possibility go get back the original login-screen. I don't mean the splash-image, I mean the window without the buttons at the bottom-list. Like it came up first, before I installed KDE-programs. :(

Note: I do not want to run the KDE-version of Mint, I just want to have two of the programs from KDE. :D

EDIT:

About the KDE-applications. This must not be a problem in your Mint-built. The same thing occurs in Ubuntu 9.10. The problem is that someone has set to many dependencies in the file structure of the KDE repository-library. Please adress the problem to the responsible instance! (Ubuntu, upstream...?)

As a work-around I can un-install some of the largest packages manually, but I can't get the changed login-screen back to original. Please help me about that.
Can I get some kind of resposne from You please, just to know You have seen the problem?
Last edited by tux-sven on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

tux.sven wrote:Now it is 19th of November 15:33 local time.

WLAN:
After the updates until this moment (95 packages) my built-in Broadcom wlan works like a dreem. The USB D-link plug-in wireless adapter also seems to work. :D

KDE applications:
Still remaining is the problem with the huge amount of packages coming down with Digikam and K3b. I understand that some packages are needed because of dependencies , but I can't understand why programs like Dolphin (file-browser), Konqueror (webb and file-browser) and Marble are included. This is totally stupid in my opinion.
I have not tested if the login-screen still get destroyed because I haven't reinstalled yet. Is there any possibility go get back the original login-screen. I don't mean the splash-image, I mean the window without the buttons at the bottom-list. Like it came up first, before I installed KDE-programs. :(

Note: I do not want to run the KDE-version of Mint, I just want to have two of the programs from KDE. :D
Yes, I believe if you choose Gnome in the choice button (bottom left button) at login it will get you back where you want to go.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven »

Yes, I believe if you choose Gnome in the choice button (bottom left button) at login it will get you back where you want to go.
Yes thanks, I know, but I want to get rid of that selection bar also. I want it clean and well-looking as it was from the beginning. :wink:
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

tux.sven wrote:
Yes thanks, I know, but I want to get rid of that selection bar also. I want it clean and well-looking as it was from the beginning. :wink:
I know what login screen you mean but I don't know how to give it to you without a clean install, then when you install Kubuntu-Desktop choose GDM instead of KDM. Maybe someone else can help out?
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
JanG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JanG »

Hey,

Can it speedup a little bit?

I'am waiting for the perfect release, watch twitter everyday and getting nervous !

Fix the bugs and put Helena online !!

(a true fan of Mint who's already got 3 windows users to mint, and that's just the beginning)
Last edited by JanG on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 13, LMDE, Fedora 17, Suse 12.2
plutus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plutus »

Using Helena on a dell e4300 laptop

when using an external monitor (with a different resolution) my desktop is completely messed up...notification area, clock, etc and all the items in the panels change position
BopNiblets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BopNiblets »

Does anyone else have the volume set to 0% by default on booting the LiveCD/LiveUSB?
tjr4d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tjr4d »

I haven't seen this already listed, so.. GRUB menu image size on hi-res display
On two different machines (laptop, desktop) I've installed Helena RC1 and then modified grub to boot using GFXMODE greater than default (640X480) followed by grub-update2. In both cases the GRUB menu subsequently shows the text in the new resolution but the graphic image/backdrop has not been resized/scaled to cover the entire screen so it covers only a portion of the screen in the upper-left corner.
That said, this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a bug to report on first Release Candidate. Mint developers and support team are Brilliant!!
Tx
ho0ver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ho0ver »

I can confirm the black desktop / missing desktop icons bug. It happened after booting the rc1 live cd on an HP laptop, however when I set the resolution manually to 1024x768, the desktop icons reappeared and I was able to launch the installer just fine.

Uwe
DruKe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DruKe »

Ran updates from Nov 19th and my keyboard got switched to 105 Key INTL (Ireland) from US QWERTY layout.
If your problem has been solved, PLEASE add [SOLVED] to your subject line! It helps everyone!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

--- ---

Clem.
ho0ver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ho0ver »

Hi folks,

I just checked again, and it seems like I'm using ndiswrapper for my t41 wlan connection on Mint 7. I just tried the intel drivers for the ipw2100 on mint 8 rc1, but they won't work. I'm posting my ndiswrapper config here (from Mint 7 which works) in the hope it may help with the wireless problems people are having with this chip on mint 8.

All the best, Uwe

Code: Select all

sys_files|w70n51.sys 
NdisVersion|0x50001
Environment|1
class_guid|4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
driver_version|Intel,08/02/2006,1.2.5.37
BusType|5
SlotNumber|01
NetCfgInstanceId|{28022A01-1234-5678-ABCDE-123813291A00}

AdapterModel|PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
Adhoc_TxPower|16