Linux Mint signs a partnership with Mozilla

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint signs a partnership with Mozilla

Post by clem »

Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint signs a partnership with Mozilla

Post by Termy »

Very cool. Does this mean Debian packages for Firefox made for Linux Mint will likely be usable in most (if not all) other Ubuntu-based distributions, since it'll still be the same Ubuntu base? I don't use Linux Mint, but I do use an Ubuntu base, and have zero desire to step anywhere near Snaps. :lol:

For the Linux Mint project to indirectly help Firefox Debian packages circulate elsewhere, would be a boon for many of us, not just Linux Mint users. Failing that, I'll package it myself, assuming I haven't hopped over to Debian by that time. :roll: Canonical are frustrating me, these days.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:12 pm Very cool. Does this mean Debian packages for Firefox made for Linux Mint will likely be usable in most (if not all) other Ubuntu-based distributions, since it'll still be the same Ubuntu base? I don't use Linux Mint, but I do use an Ubuntu base, and have zero desire to step anywhere near Snaps. :lol:

For the Linux Mint project to indirectly help Firefox Debian packages circulate elsewhere, would be a boon for many of us, not just Linux Mint users. Failing that, I'll package it myself, assuming I haven't hopped over to Debian by that time. :roll: Canonical are frustrating me, these days.
With Debian you'll get Firefox ESR. Unless you go with unstable Sid, where you get the choice.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

kevin987 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:56 pm With Debian you'll get Firefox ESR. Unless you go with unstable Sid, where you get the choice.
Indeed, but that's Firefox ESR and not Firefox. Unfortunately, my Firefox profile, which I've had for years, won't work with Firefox ESR. I'm guessing I'd have issues with my plugins too. I just want the regular Firefox; I can get it by downloading the tarball, then set something up for that (IE: automate the building process of a Firefox Debian package to install it that way), but I'd certainly rather not faff about with all that. :lol:

Unstable Sid, eh? I'm definitely going to have to look into that; I've heard of it a lot, over the years. I assume it's basically Debian with much more freedom.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:12 pm
kevin987 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:56 pm With Debian you'll get Firefox ESR. Unless you go with unstable Sid, where you get the choice.
Indeed, but that's Firefox ESR and not Firefox. Unfortunately, my Firefox profile, which I've had for years, won't work with Firefox ESR. I'm guessing I'd have issues with my plugins too. I just want the regular Firefox; I can get it by downloading the tarball, then set something up for that (IE: automate the building process of a Firefox Debian package to install it that way), but I'd certainly rather not faff about with all that. :lol:

Unstable Sid, eh? I'm definitely going to have to look into that; I've heard of it a lot, over the years. I assume it's basically Debian with much more freedom.
You could go Flatpak also.

I've never tried Sid. Never felt the need.

https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Termy, you do not need to configure and build firefox from the .tar.gz package from mozilla but simply run it directly from the archive in your Downloads folder if that is where you put it. The archive already contains an executable file in the download.
It will also automatically upgrade if you make sure that it is set it to do so in the FF Preferences; that is I believe, the default setting but check nust in case.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

kevin987 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:33 pm You could go Flatpak also.
True. Not really keen on all those other packaging formats. I keep a tight ship over here, so installing new software just to use existing software isn't something I'd enjoy. Although the sandboxing nature of Flatpaks (if I'm not misinformed) sounds cool and would be suitable for a browser.
ajgreeny wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:42 pm ...
I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, that means the Firefox executable could technically change itself and associated files to do something malicious. My security-minded brain isn't keen on that idea. I could change the permissions of it accordingly, but then I'd still be left with a sloppy mess. :lol: My OCD would not be happy. :P I'd prefer to just have it installed like normal, handled by the regular Debian packaging stuff.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

It would be nice if Linux Mint did the same for Mozilla Thunderbird as done with Mozilla Firefox: i.e. delivering a deb, in Linux Mint repos, compiled from Mozilla sources and with Mozilla preferences.

Today, version available in Linux Mint is still 78.14 (even in Mint 20.3), since Ubuntu has not upgraded it.

Latest official version is 91.5.0, and there has been tons of fixes since 78.14.

Of course, there are solutions to use Thunderbird 91.x (flatpak, ppa:mozillateam/ppa, Thunderbird independent version from thunderbird.net) but it would be easier for everybody if it was directly available from Linux Mint repos.

Regards,

MN
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

MikeNovember wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:50 am Hi,

It would be nice if Linux Mint did the same for Mozilla Thunderbird as done with Mozilla Firefox: i.e. delivering a deb, in Linux Mint repos, compiled from Mozilla sources and with Mozilla preferences.

Today, version available in Linux Mint is still 78.14 (even in Mint 20.3), since Ubuntu has not upgraded it.

Latest official version is 91.5.0, and there has been tons of fixes since 78.14.

Of course, there are solutions to use Thunderbird 91.x (flatpak, ppa:mozillateam/ppa, Thunderbird independent version from thunderbird.net) but it would be easier for everybody if it was directly available from Linux Mint repos.

Regards,

MN
I'm on Linux Mint 20.2 and I have Firefox 95.0.1

I'm almost afraid to ask which kernel you're using.

Mine is 5.4.0-94
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Tovad101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tovad101 »

Hi he is referring to the old version of Thunderbird included in Mint 20.2/3
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 am
MikeNovember wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:50 am Hi,

Regards,

MN
I'm on Linux Mint 20.2 and I have Firefox 95.0.1

I'm almost afraid to ask which kernel you're using.

Mine is 5.4.0-94
Hi,

Nothing related to the kernel (I use 5.4.0-94). I speak of the version of Thunderbird, and email client from Mozilla: Linux Mint 20.x, based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, has an outdated version (78.14 instead of 91.5.0).

Regards,

MN
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MikeNovember wrote: It would be nice if Linux Mint did the same for Mozilla Thunderbird ...
From Clem (in the blog post's comments) ...

"It’s currently maintained by Ubuntu and only getting security fixes (like most software, we’re a frozen distribution not a rolling one). We should be able to ship Thunderbird the same way we do with Firefox though. It’s not something we looked into yet but we can consider it in the future."

... and ...

"Not at the moment but we could include it as well in future releases."
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:30 am
MikeNovember wrote: It would be nice if Linux Mint did the same for Mozilla Thunderbird ...
From Clem (in the blog post's comments) ...

"It’s currently maintained by Ubuntu and only getting security fixes (like most software, we’re a frozen distribution not a rolling one). We should be able to ship Thunderbird the same way we do with Firefox though. It’s not something we looked into yet but we can consider it in the future."

... and ...

"Not at the moment but we could include it as well in future releases."
Hi,

Thunderbird 78.14 is part of the 78.x branch, and is the last of this branch, released on September 7, 2021.
Thunderbird 78.14.0, is the final 78.x release.
(from: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/).

Just have a look here, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... underbird/, there has been:
- 9 security fixes in version 91,
- 1 security fix in version 91.0.1,
- 2 security fixes in version 91.1,
- 7 security fixes in version 91.2,
- 10 security fixes in version 91.3,
- 11 security fixes in version 91.4,
- 2 security fixes in version 91.4.1,
- 14 security fixes in version 91.5,
--> 56 security fixes between 78.14 and 91.5 versions!

The latest security update in Ubuntu 78.14 release for Focal (and so for Mint 20.x) has been released on November 9, 2021 (CVE-2021-43527) and so more recent CVEs are not taken into account in 78.14.
(see: https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/20.04/ubuntu-up ... 4.deb.html).

In official Thunderbird 91.5.0, latest CVE taken into account is CVE-2022-22746 (January 7, 2022).

So, it is wrong to say that Ubuntu apply security fixes on 78.14, Ubuntu just have applied "some" security fixes, and none since November 9.

Ubuntu's Thunderbird 78.14 is just an outdated version of Thunderbird, with unfixed bugs and security holes and lacking some functionalities... fixed in 91.x branch.

Even in a stable distribution, all security fixes should be applied with the minimum delay to:
- all internet connecting applications (this includes browsers, mail clients, ftp clients and servers etc.),
- all security products (sandboxes such as Firejail, flatpak, snap; viruses and malware scanners; and the 72 programs found in software library with the "security" keyword...),
- and of course kernel, commands...

Ubuntu does NOT do all this well. (and Mint, as a consequence).

Regards,

MN
Last edited by MikeNovember on Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MikeNovember wrote: Ubuntu's Thunderbird 78.14 is just an outdated version of Thunderbird ...
Noted. Perhaps with Clem's consideration of packaging the Mozilla version, instead of the Ubuntu version, this will be addressed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

You can, if you feel secure enough to do it this way, just download the .tar.gz of thunderbird, and just like firefox archive, run it directly from the included executable file.
If you worry about having the executable in your home you could always move it elsewhere in the filesystem, eg /opt an then run it from there.
You could also do the same with the direct download of firefox if this is a big concern of yours.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

MikeNovember wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am
Hi,

Nothing related to the kernel (I use 5.4.0-94). I speak of the version of Thunderbird, and email client from Mozilla: Linux Mint 20.x, based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, has an outdated version (78.14 instead of 91.5.0).

Regards,

MN
I reread a bit slower this time and understand what you meant about T-Bird.

I don't even use it nowadays. I prefer webpage based email. Your concern is similar to mine which is why I stopped using it last year.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

ThunderBird 91.5 can be found in the “Mozilla Team” team PPA

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:53 pm
MikeNovember wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am
Hi,

Regards,

MN
I reread a bit slower this time and understand what you meant about T-Bird.

I don't even use it nowadays. I prefer webpage based email. Your concern is similar to mine which is why I stopped using it last year.
Hi,

I still use Thunderbird, 91.5.0 flatpak: it is the latest one, with all fixes, and runs in a sandbox (flatpak); internet security is much increased.

All my internet connecting apps are flatpaks (Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium, Filezilla...). I also use flatpak to have recent versions of apps that are outdated in Mint 20.x / Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Audacity, Avidemux, Handbrake, OBS Studio, VLC, Inkscape, Calibre...).

Regards,

MN
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Thunderbird 91.5 just came through in normal updates in Update Manager for me this morning in LM20.3 so a PPA is no longer needed to use it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

That's good to know. I shall remove the PPA from my install script then :)
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”