Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
strikefreedom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Post by strikefreedom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:45 am

I have to say that this is the best distro I have ever used. For the couple of years or so I have been looking for a distro that suits me. I have used Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, Sabayon, Fedora, Dreamlinux, Gentoo,... and Linux Mint just blows them all away.
I have jumped from Mint to another distro a few times to see whats new, but it never was as comfortable as Mint. With Helena, I am never going to change back to another distro. I am a Mint user untill I die. Keep up the good work guys. On another note my laptop never booted as fast as it's doing now. Thank you guys.

nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nalsdixit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

all i can say is working fine on my computer (acer netbook), has a few small issues i need to tweak, but wireless/internet worked out of the box, and overall web browsing feels a bit snappier than gloria

-------------------------

[/b][/b]
jackshit wrote:confused? guys, can't believe it, what is wrong with Helena? more bugs that i can count, and can't fix coz NO INTERNET! my wireless card was fine for everything up to Gloria: just upgraded last night (losing a LOT of software) and i'm stuck with aload of installed nonsense, can't even update the NVIDIA drivers, this is a shock, MINT has up to now been the best OS i have used, what's up?

Eesaurus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eesaurus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Great work again! Everything works really well, nothing bad to say about Helena. I'll recommend Mint to everyone who's moving to Linux-World. As i've done before also... All releases of Mint i have tested have been just great.

Hats off!

fl_rider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fl_rider » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Thank you for all of the teams hard work.

Today is my first day trying Linux Mint and I am quite impressed so far.

Mint just works like it is supposed to. Ubuntu was cool but there were quite a few hoops to jump through for multimedia playback.

I will definitely be trying Mint on my laptop and if it works as well with that hardware I see Mint in the future for it too.

Thanks again!!

Chris B

BastianBalthasarBux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BastianBalthasarBux » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Does anyone know when we could probably count with helena_64?

kumaryu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kumaryu » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I just wanted to mention how impressed I was with the Helena release. Very slick.
I installed it on the new Acer Revo R3610 as summarised on my blog http://www.kumaryu.com.

sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Many thanks to Clem and the team.
Fantastic release,guys!Quality as always!
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 18 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630

opaArt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opaArt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks to the team.
I installed it with high expectations. But I have to switch over to onboard sound, because my Xonar soundcard, who worked perfect with Mint 7, is not recognized. Also Amarok (my favorite radio) does not list Shoutcast, although it says so in the Package Manager.
Sorry team but I have to go back to Mint 7.
I am very disappointed.

opaArt.

whorider
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 8 64 RC1 released!

Post by whorider » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:20 am

64 bit RC1 released, check the server. Hint: The one in Ireland
Sony Vaio S1390x Arch Linux x64

Maaaks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maaaks » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Dear Mint community! I have a, maybe, very-very newbie question about upgrading.

I use ATI, and that's the problem. :) The FGLRX driver, downloaded by EnvyNG or Jockey, worked well in Mint 7, but doesn't work in Mint 8. I tried to install it a few times, and it seems to be a real problem, while Mint 7 still uses the same version normally.

So, I decided to stay on Mint 7. And my question is:

If I use repositories for Ubuntu Karmic & Mint Helena and will upgrade all packages, will the FGLRX driver work? Or, after some update, it won't? So, what's the difference between Gloria and Helena - do they just use different repos, or do they have other different graphics configs, etc? How can I make Gloria stay Gloria, not Helena, for the driver? Or, maybe, how can I make Helena look like Gloria for the driver? (Of course, the second way would be better.)

Thank you.
( I really think that the question isn't important enough to start a separate topic :) )

Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Thought I'd post a followup to my initial comment on page one of this thread. After a few days of running Mint 8 I can truthfully say it's all I thought it would be and then some. Helena is not without a sticky issue or two, one of which is the lack of a currently working Mint4Win installer. But overall Mint 8 is a large step forward for the Mint Team, and well worth the upgrade if you're so inclined. Most things "just work" right out of the box, with very little tweaking needing to be done for a fully operational world class OS.

Introduced another long time DOS and Windows computing friend to Mint 8 yesterday. Until then he'd never stopped long enough to even look at Linux, so Helena was a complete revelation for him. We installed the new OS on a dedicated 60gb partition -- 15gb root, 3gb swap, and the rest for home. The old AMD 2.x ghz processor on that machine, with 1.5 gb ram, leapt back to life with Mint 8 in place and since then he's never looked back! Told me today he finds Mint 8 perfect for all he does with that machine, and is considering removing his old Windows XP installation completely!

Also, an additional note for the graphic minded crowd. I run two Windows graphics programs I use a lot, Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 and Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 under Wine (with Wine Doors installed), and they're flawless on Mint 8. I like both of these final pre-Adobe CS versions of these programs a lot -- mainly for their light weight and relative simplicity compared to the newer CS to CS4 versions that Adobe has put out. So if you're comfortable with photo work or vector based illustrations in Photoshop or Illustrator, and can find these two pre-CS Adobe products, you certainly won't be disappointed! Of course there are viable Linux alternatives to these programs, but if you've spent your working life on Photoshop and Illustrator as I have, finding two products that install and run as flawlessly as these do with Wine is quite a relief to say the least!

DavidS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DavidS » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:43 am

Az4x4 wrote: Also, an additional note for the graphic minded crowd. I run two Windows graphics programs I use a lot, Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 and Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 under Wine (with Wine Doors installed), and they're flawless on Mint 8. I like both of these final pre-Adobe CS versions of these programs a lot -- mainly for their light weight and relative simplicity compared to the newer CS to CS4 versions that Adobe has put out. So if you're comfortable with photo work or vector based illustrations in Photoshop or Illustrator, and can find these two pre-CS Adobe products, you certainly won't be disappointed! Of course there are viable Linux alternatives to these programs, but if you've spent your working life on Photoshop and Illustrator as I have, finding two products that install and run as flawlessly as these do with Wine is quite a relief to say the least!
Hi, I actually like CS3 Adobe suite the best and wish I could at least get Dreamweaver running on Mint. If I could, I would leave windows in the dust!! Would you have any idea how to do this??

whorider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whorider » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:05 am

Sony Vaio S1390x Arch Linux x64

DavidS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DavidS » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks... but TOO SLOW!! When I try downloading, it starts a 220kb and drops immediately to 34.
No way.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:08 am

Please do not post about the 64 bit edition in this topic - it will get its own topic when it's time
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:42 pm

DavidS wrote:..Hi, I actually like CS3 Adobe suite the best and wish I could at least get Dreamweaver running on Mint. If I could, I would leave windows in the dust!! Would you have any idea how to do this??
Hey David! You can run Adobe CS to CS4 products on Mint 8 by installing VirtualBox then putting a light weight version of Windows XP in place. I run a minimalist version of TinyXP (do a Google search for an active torrent) in VB. Adobe CS to CS4 programs run perfectly in it.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Remember that you need a valid XP license for that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

mcurran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcurran » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:26 am

I cannot believe that there are still settings set for the .iso live cd image where the update-manager refreshes at startup and also refreshes every 15 minutes. Also, the screen-saver and power options should also be considered, because at default settings: users installing each release must babysit their installation and make sure their computers don't power down. I personally found the update-manager particularly annoying and feel this is a must change. What do you think?
IBM IntelliStation Z Pro [6227-ACU]
Intel Xeon (3.4GHz) | Irwindale (x2)
nVIDIA GTX 460 (1024MB-DDR5)
6GB RAM (800MHz)
MULTI-BOOT: Metro/Mountain Lion/LMDE

burjans

Post by burjans » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 am

Creí que aqui se hablaba español, creo que me equivoqué. Prové el LiveCD de Linux Mint 8 y funciona muy lento en una vieja computadora que tengo, luego lo probé en mi LAPTOP que no es tan vieja y alli funcionó pero no con la rapidez que tenia Linux Mint 7, definitivamente la nueva versión al parecer heredó los problemas de su madre Ubuntu, espero que Linux Mint 9 de un salto porque de momento fue hacia atrás.

salu2

Atreidhs
    Level 1
    Level 1

Post by Atreidhs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:26 am

I wish we had a cd cover (and a case cover as well) for our linux mint collection!!!

:)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”