Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by clem »

Macdhai
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by Macdhai »

Wonderful news!

How soon will we be able to upgrade from 20.3? I'm itching to try out the new Mint Upgrade app. lol
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Read the blog.
Macdhai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Macdhai »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:39 am Read the blog.
Thanks.
Upgrade instructions for Linux Mint 20.3 will be provided shortly.
At least that sounds like it will be later today. :D
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Macdhai wrote: At least that sounds like it will be later today.
"We’re also focused on opening the upgrade path from Linux Mint 20.3 to Linux Mint 21. We’ll make announcements when this is ready."
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4370
Macdhai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Macdhai »

Can I help it if it's a day off and there's the possibility of a new toy to play with? I feel like Cartman waiting for the Nintendo Wii to come out. lol

C'mon! C'mon!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Macdhai wrote:Can I help it if it's a day off and there's the possibility of a new toy to play with?
What's stopping you today? Just install it alongside your current deployment, and play to your heart's content.
Macdhai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Macdhai »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:04 am
Macdhai wrote:Can I help it if it's a day off and there's the possibility of a new toy to play with?
What's stopping you today? Just install it alongside your current deployment, and play to your heart's content.
I've already been looking at it in Boxes, but I'm wanting to see the new Mint Upgrade tool in action.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Yippee! Let the joyous news be spread! The OFFICIAL Mint 21 (Cinnamon) flavor is HERE - and ready for download!

Thanks, Linux Team, all your efforts. We appreciate y'all!
Samsung Series 3 Notebook NP300E5A, 15.6-inch, circa 2012
Intel Core i3 2330 processor, 4GB RAM, 500 WD SSD
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Linux Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon)
Rescuezilla 2.4.2 (Focal)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Macdhai wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:36 am Wonderful news!

How soon will we be able to upgrade from 20.3? I'm itching to try out the new Mint Upgrade app. lol
I never do Upgrades, only full on fresh installs, my data is in /home and I use Aptik to transfer over my apps and preferences
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It is working great here. Great release so far.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

The breaking changes in Cinnamon are a bummer for the applets, e.g. Weather doesn't work. That's pretty bad because the ecosystem is now full of broken addons with no real indication on what works. Looks like Mint 21 is a release to be skipped. Hopefully, things will improve until Mint 21.1. Otherwise, it could become a case of "terminally broken".
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:04 am
I haven't been able to get to a screen, no matter what I do.

I can boot the live filesystem on my laptop. I have a "pile 'o wonder" and have been thinking of hooking up an SSD to a USB port on the laptop and installing LM21 to that drive then replacing the SSD in my Desktop with the drive that I just installed mint 21 on. or,maybe using dd to copy the drive.
apawelec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apawelec »

Anybody knows what happened with this configuration section, looks like only highlighted setting is available in new version?

I found toggling between modes (with control by default) extremely useful and be missing it if it's no longer available in new version...
Last edited by apawelec on Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ozfir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozfir »

Do I understand correctly, in order to upgrade from 20.3 -> 21 I just have to wait for the update app to give me that option? Not going to do a fresh install, since I have a load of stuff configured and installed, just a noob here asking a silly question.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Yes, wait for the announcement about the upgrade procedure.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

ozfir wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:20 am Do I understand correctly, in order to upgrade from 20.3 -> 21 I just have to wait for the update app to give me that option? Not going to do a fresh install, since I have a load of stuff configured and installed, just a noob here asking a silly question.
like you, I have spent a lot of time installing apps and other configurations on LM20.3 Cinnamon

I just now using VirtualBox, installed LM21 Cinnamon and it went smooth as glass.

after I get caught up with Life around here, I will use Aptik to install my current Apps on LM21 and see how it works.

What you have to realize is, that some of your current Apps will not be compatible with LM21's repository, but if already there, they will be kept installed.

Patience, the Upgrade to LM21 will be along soon.

read the Blog, Clem explains that IF you have stayed with the Original Beta version of LM20 that daily updates will keep what you have and it will eventually turn into LM 21
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

apawelec wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:18 am Anybody knows what happened with this configuration section, looks like only highlighted setting is available in new version?
I found toggling between modes (with control by default) extremely useful and be missing it if it's no longer available in new version...
Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog.
(Besides that: Having now a separate settings window for the remaining 2 options appears as a bad joke. They could had been easily be placed into the window settings, but in that case everybody would have noticed the regression at once. :( )
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 am Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog.
(Besides that: Having now a separate settings window for the remaining 2 options appears as a bad joke. They could had been easily be placed into the window settings, but in that case everybody would have noticed the regression at once. :( )
what do you mean by 'snapping' ?
ozfir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozfir »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:30 am
ozfir wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:20 am Do I understand correctly, in order to upgrade from 20.3 -> 21 I just have to wait for the update app to give me that option? Not going to do a fresh install, since I have a load of stuff configured and installed, just a noob here asking a silly question.
like you, I have spent a lot of time installing apps and other configurations on LM20.3 Cinnamon
What I have done in the past is keep a copy of my home folder on an external drive. Then I have tried out a bunch of different distros, and when I find something I like, I just install the software I need and copy the files to my home folder manually. .bashrc is something I have tweaked a lot, so that is just one file, but not sure of copying say .mozilla will retain all my Firefox extensions, passwords and tweaks just like that? OK it cost's nothing to try. No I have a spare computer for experimenting, I could install Vanessa on it and probably will, but no my hands are shaking and I just can't get sleep because I am waiting for Vanessa to come to my "production" machine! I shall wait.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”