Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 am what do you mean by 'snapping' ?
That, what in 20.3 Cinnamon is offered and named as such in this setting window.
apawelec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apawelec »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 am
apawelec wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:18 am Anybody knows what happened with this configuration section, looks like only highlighted setting is available in new version?
I found toggling between modes (with control by default) extremely useful and be missing it if it's no longer available in new version...
Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog.
(Besides that: Having now a separate settings window for the remaining 2 options appears as a bad joke. They could had been easily be placed into the window settings, but in that case everybody would have noticed the regression at once. :( )
Oh, that's really sad... I will stay on Mint 20.3 for now. Hope they will bring it back in one of next versions.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is not the only silent regression.
On the other side I do not see any new or enhanced killer feature, so I decided already during the beta phase to skip LM 21.
The only theoretical aspect could had been Blueman, but Blueberry works here without any problems, so - really no reason to upgrade.
ozfir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozfir »

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa ready to go! by Lauri Rantala, on Flickr

Should I? My test bench wants only the latest and best Linux distro there is!
blueberrymint

Post by blueberrymint »

DPM wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:20 am The breaking changes in Cinnamon are a bummer for the applets, e.g. Weather doesn't work. That's pretty bad because the ecosystem is now full of broken addons with no real indication on what works. Looks like Mint 21 is a release to be skipped. Hopefully, things will improve until Mint 21.1. Otherwise, it could become a case of "terminally broken".
I'm going to skip this release as well. I already tested my custom cinnamon theme and popup menu theming is broken. .menu.bottom and the rest of the side menus don't react to border-radius and border properties while they work perfectly fine in Cinnamon versions starting from 3.8.8 until and excluding 5.4. That's a bummer for me, so I'll wait for 21.1 and see how it goes.
Acheron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acheron »

DPM wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:20 am The breaking changes in Cinnamon are a bummer for the applets, e.g. Weather doesn't work. That's pretty bad because the ecosystem is now full of broken addons with no real indication on what works. Looks like Mint 21 is a release to be skipped. Hopefully, things will improve until Mint 21.1. Otherwise, it could become a case of "terminally broken".
Weather applet (weather@mockturtl) works fine here even on a live USB. I backed up my preferences "export to a file" and imported them in a fresh install.
Kingsport, Tennessee, USA Telegram: @linuxadvocate
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

apawelec wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:45 am
Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 am
apawelec wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:18 am Anybody knows what happened with this configuration section, looks like only highlighted setting is available in new version?
I found toggling between modes (with control by default) extremely useful and be missing it if it's no longer available in new version...
Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog.
(Besides that: Having now a separate settings window for the remaining 2 options appears as a bad joke. They could had been easily be placed into the window settings, but in that case everybody would have noticed the regression at once. :( )
Oh, that's really sad... I will stay on Mint 20.3 for now. Hope they will bring it back in one of next versions.
Hmmm ... So sorry to hear. :(

In this case, I may be staying behind, too (i.e., on Mint 20.3).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

HarryHouTX wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 am

Weather applet (weather@mockturtl) works fine here even on a live USB. I backed up my preferences "export to a file" and imported them in a fresh install.
I just looked at "preferences" in the LM20.3 Cinnamon menu and failed to see "export to a file"

What did I miss here? :?:

I would love to do just that alone as a backup to my other backup methods.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Applets have a "gear" icon on the top right that allows importing/exporting settings. Here is an example:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

spamegg wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 am
Applets have a "gear" icon on the top right
Dependent from some settings it can appear as a hamburger icon. (I was not yet able to find, which setting is responsible. On 20.3 and 21 I always get the hamburger icon.)
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Interesting, I guess the icon theme can change it from a hamburger to a gear icon? Didn't know that :lol: It's a good thing I posted a screenshot then, because it's in the same location :D
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Macdhai wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:57 am Can I help it if it's a day off and there's the possibility of a new toy to play with? I feel like Cartman waiting for the Nintendo Wii to come out. lol

C'mon! C'mon!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, yes thats me to sitting here waiting :P
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

spamegg wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 am
Applets have a "gear" icon on the top right that allows importing/exporting settings. Here is an example:
I take it then,
that you must open each Applet in turn, and Export that one Applet's Preferences to a file?

what a PITA,
should be able to do all of them at once.....

I will just stick with Aptik, it works
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Acheron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acheron »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:40 am
HarryHouTX wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 am

I just looked at "preferences" in the LM20.3 Cinnamon menu and failed to see "export to a file"

I would love to do just that alone as a backup to my other backup methods.
Its on the applet itself.
In the tray on Weather, right click "Configure ..."
In the upper right hand you will see a hamburger menu button.
Click on that.
"Export to a file"

And yes, to avoid doing it for every applet I run a script to rsync everything to a backup SSD.
Preferences are saved in ~/.cinnamon/configs/
Kingsport, Tennessee, USA Telegram: @linuxadvocate
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

Is there going to be an Edge version for 21?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HarryHouTX wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:20 pm Its on the applet itself.
In the tray on Weather, right click "Configure ..."
In the upper right hand you will see a hamburger menu button.
Click on that.
"Export to a file"

And yes, to avoid doing it for every applet I run a script to rsync everything to a backup SSD.
Preferences are saved in ~/.cinnamon/configs/
sorry, but I have no clue what the path prefix is where the Tilde character is....
I have searched /home and /root
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

TinMan1325 wrote: Is there going to be an Edge version for 21?
I would expect so. Historically, those are typically released a week or so after their non-Edge counterparts.

Apparently not.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 pm I would expect so. Historically, those are typically released a week or so after their non-Edge counterparts.
Nice. Thank you
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:02 pm Is there going to be an Edge version for 21?
The Edge versions came out because by the time LM20.1 was released, enough time had passed there was new hardware which would have problems with the 5.4 LTS kernel that LM20 had. Also, by then an HWE kernel had been released.

Ubuntu 22.04 just came out in April with its 5.15 LTS kernel. I would not expect an HWE kernel until the fall release of Ubuntu which means there is no "edge" kernel currently available to create an edge version of Linux Mint.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”