Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by Pjotr »

jackkileen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm
mcroger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:52 am Some have done it here for instance, but at your own risks. :-)
''Some" might be overstating a bit after looking at all the less than successful attempts in the replies :)
Been there, done that. On a test rig, of course. Just for fun. It was a total disaster. :lol:

For the rest my opinion is (ceterum censeo) that installing Mint 21 should always be done freshly and cleanly. So no in-place upgrade from 20.x or earlier. Not even with an official upgrade tool.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:57 pm my opinion is (ceterum censeo) that installing Mint 21 should always be done freshly and cleanly.
Last time I did that, it took months of discovering missing tweaks and hacks I had apparently done myself before slowly feeling at home again in my own laptop. Quite frustrating, because of course I had forgotten how to do each of them. The most obvious one I remember vividly is that from 18 to 19 and to my surprise even 20 the brightness controls do not control the brightness on my once too new but eventually old OLED laptop, so I had to do it myself.

That's why it's so tempting to upgrade. After (still) missing a lot of things (even though I wrote the most basic stuff down in ansible) I had baked into 19 in a freshly installed 20, I just restored a disk image of 19 and did an upgrade from there because I underestimated the things I became used to and I was on a deadline. So now I have 4 more years of accumulated and forgotten things I rely on every day, and it's very tempting to upgrade again.

No one likes to move. No one likes to pack everything in their house, put it in a truck, drive across the country and unload everything in the new house. Especially when you cannot see the things you need to pack.

That said, you are absolutely right. A fresh and clean install fixes a lot of potential problems, and will probably boot faster even if there are no problems. I just wish there was some smart tool that would find and list all the changes I have made over the last 4 years, no matter where I put them, and I could pick and choose which ones to store in an ansible script or something. And I'm not even talking about the easy stuff like packages, home configuration, groups i.e. what aptik does.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

I'm curious to see how well running mintupgrade works, but I'll wait for the announcement.

🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Redsandro wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:53 pm I just wish there was some smart tool that would find and list all the changes I have made over the last 4 years, no matter where I put them, and I could pick and choose which ones to store in an ansible script or something.
For the future: you can document what you did on a website of yours.... It's what I did. Nifty for yourself and for others. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Redsandro wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 pm I'm curious to see how well running mintupgrade works, but I'll wait for the announcement.

I was wondering if that was there or not just not tried it yet :P. My guess then is they are testing it or ran into some problems that they are fixing before they release the instructions.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

silvatech wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:09 am
I was wondering if that was there or not just not tried it yet :P. My guess then is they are testing it or ran into some problems that they are fixing before they release the instructions.
Or is it the same tool as the years before? And not the famous new tool all people are waiting for? Just ask myself.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No, In the past the upgrade tool was a command line tool, the coming tool has a GUI.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:22 am No, In the past the upgrade tool was a command line tool, the coming tool has a GUI.
Ok. I can't remember whether it was command line last time I used it. However, then the GUI tool is there. It just does the upgrade on my laptop.
"mintupgrade" has to be installed or updated (if aleady there) and opens as GUI to upgrade to Vanessa.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Possibly the same situation as here: viewtopic.php?p=2210903#p2210903

Besides that: For the upgrade tool is the same true as for Vanessa itself: Before an official announcement it is not released, just some traces for preparation can be found.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:40 am Possibly the same situation as here: viewtopic.php?p=2210903#p2210903

Besides that: For the upgrade tool is the same true as for Vanessa itself: Before an official announcement it is not released, just some traces for preparation can be found.
I agree with you to be calm instead of hasty.
Just for clearing this up: In my laptop there was the old package called "mintupgrade" that indeed only worked to upgrade to 20.3.
Of course that tool does not work to go to LM 21.
However, after I updated the packages using update manager, I got a newer version of "mintupgrade" too. And this is exactly for upgrading to LM 21! I used it successfully on my notebook an hour ago.

As you do I stay with lm 20.3 on my main pc. ;)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In the other thread I wrote, that I assume, that the poster had installed the 2020 upgrade tool via Software Manager or Synaptic, in contrast to a direct download as described in the 2020 upgrade guide. The poster in the other thread did not yet reply. Can you remember, on which way you did download the upgrade tool 2 years ago?
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:32 am In the other thread I wrote, that I assume, that the poster had installed the 2020 upgrade tool via Software Manager or Synaptic, in contrast to a direct download as described in the 2020 upgrade guide. The poster in the other thread did not yet reply. Can you remember, on which way you did download the upgrade tool 2 years ago?
It certainly was not via Software Manager or Synaptic. There seemed to be an option either in Update Manager or in another app to be able to upgrade LM. In the current Update Manager I can't find that option or settings. Maybe I'm wrong with my memory here.

In one case I used a command to upgrade to a beta version. This is described here in detail:
https://www.makeuseof.com/upgrade-ubunt ... a-release/.
Bnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bnielsen »

This is available in Synaptic for MATE 20.3:
mintupgrade 2022.08.05 Upgrade Tool, but maybe it is a Beta version before final release.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Let me say it this way:

Assumed the announcement would get published on Wednesday, but the download would not be possible, because the download would only after Wednesday get prepared, what then? So logically at first comes the preparation and after that the announcement. And in that time the developers still have the chance to replace the download file in case, they find a problem. Only after the announcement the users can expect, that the upgrade tool does not give a greater problem even in very special cases.
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

jackkileen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm
mcroger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:52 am Some have done it here for instance, but at your own risks. :-)
''Some" might be overstating a bit after looking at all the less than successful attempts in the replies :)
Hence the mention of a risk, ie an event with a probability of negative impacts.

But indeed, one could guess the Mint Updater is more than a basic script containing the commands listed in this video, avoiding thus at least a part of the mentionned issues.
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Here is a short review on the upgrade a made:

The Upgrade tool asked me to do a timeshift backup at first. Then it showed me which third party packages could not be integrated. They were not so many fortunately.
After purging them there was a simulation of the upgrade, and thereafter the upgrade itself.

I had latest LibreOffice installed via ppa. That was removed. However, I had to install it after the upgrade again, this time from Software Manager that provides the latest version.
The second Program I had to install was Lollypop music player because of the same reasons (installed via ppa before). Now, it too is newly installed from Software Manager.

Great advantage was that I had not to reinstall the - about - 10 other programs I had installed before. Had I used the new install from live DVD with keeping /home, I had to install all of them anew, at least without need to reconfigure them (because the config files are in /home).

There were no complications or errors. The whole process was longer than a fresh install - about 1 hour or so.

I would recommend using "mintupgrade" in principle. But nothing to loose waiting a bit. As I said before, I will not upgrade my main pc but stay with LM 20.3.
Else I would wait until LM 21.1 is released and use "mintupgrade" then.
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:22 am No, In the past the upgrade tool was a command line tool, the coming tool has a GUI.
The one I used this morning was definitely a GUI, whether it's the right one or not I don't know, but it worked without any major issues

They won't let me post the blog link, but basically it was
sudo apt install -y mintupgrade

sudo mintupgrade

took about 2 hours
https://www.skyportradio.com Icecast2, butt 0.1.18, Clementine and Mixxx
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gunfleet wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:56 amThey won't let me post the blog link
There is no blog announcement yet which means there is no link to post.

The last note I saw was a post from Clem saying an announcement would be made Monday.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 am
gunfleet wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:56 amThey won't let me post the blog link
There is no blog announcement yet which means there is no link to post.

The last note I saw was a post from Clem saying an announcement would be made Monday.
It was not a Linux Mint blog it was Linux 9 to 5
https://www.skyportradio.com Icecast2, butt 0.1.18, Clementine and Mixxx
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

You can put any link here, right? Possibly only goes with button:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”