Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Ranković

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Post by Ranković »

I took a look at the new KDE edition, although I could never bring myself to use any distro with KDE, but this is a really fine job! This is the CD that I will be recommending to my friends who are considering trying Linux for the first time.
syamkumar.tpl

Post by syamkumar.tpl »

what is the difference between Helena with KDE and Kubuntu..?
And how can i upgrade KDE 4.3.4 to 4.4 ?
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

syamkumar.tpl wrote:what is the difference between Helena with KDE and Kubuntu..?
To upgrade from 4.3.4/5 to 4.4 you need to enable the ppa repositories just like you were using Kubuntu 9.10 and it will work fine.
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

syamkumar.tpl wrote:what is the difference between Helena with KDE and Kubuntu..?

You can see the news on http://www.kubuntu.org
elijahm

Post by elijahm »

Linux mint is amazing, after switching from windows, my eyes were opened to the truth.

THANKS LINUX TEAM!
verizon123

Post by verizon123 »

After trying other buggy Linux versions, I have been pleasantly surprised by Mint8.
PROS
1. The installation goes well: Hardware is detected and the Net works right away. (Setup a home network as in Windows, i.e. identify the shared Linux folder as \\LinuxComputerName\Folder, then right-click the folder to set permissions!)
2. After a bit of customization, it looks really quite nice. (The "feel" is a bit sluggish, e.g. menus and screens "fade" open gradually).
CONS
1. It seems that the DivX people stopped working on DivX6.1.1 for Linux. Pity.
2. Linux Midi is an absolute disaster: There is no midi player like Winamp, Windows Media Player or Quicktime, and getting sound from a sequencer like Rosegarden is a nightmare (just go to their site). Couldn't a General Midi sound patch be made available in Mint to provide immediate access for media players and midi-sequencers?
3. I gather games in Wine-Doors work. Winamp5, Irfanview and Sketchup 7 failed for me.
OVERALL: EXCELLENT. With DivX support, a Linux version of Google Sketchup and simple Midi support, Linux Mint becomes a REAL contender against Windows! I am really quite surprised at how mature Mint8 is. Congratulations to the developers.
Last edited by verizon123 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulwakfer

Post by paulwakfer »

I have been using Mint 8 as Gnome and would very much like to try the KDE version (Kubuntu would not work on my system), but how do I burn a 1.1 GB CD?
mick55

Post by mick55 »

@verizon123

To get the "irfanview32" installer to run you need to put the file "mfc42.dll" in wine's windows\system32 directory.
You can find it in your winxp\system32 directory or or the internet.

Irfanview will not install without it being there.Also,during the irfanview install
select the option to put "i_view32.ini" in the irfanview directory.Then delete the "i_view32.ini"
file before you run irfanview for the first time.It will then be recreated correctly the
first time you run irfanview.

Now the fun part.When you go to the wine menu to browse the "C" you will get an error.

The launcher named "Browse C:\ Drive" executes the command

Code: Select all

xdg-open ~/.wine/drive_c
The command should be

Code: Select all

xdg-open ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:
you can run the above command in a terminal to get you to the "C" drive, or you
can modify the menu.

cheers
mick
zektor

Post by zektor »

I just wanted to comment on how absolutely gorgeous this release is! I have been running Gnome based distros for a few years now (with most recently Linux Mint 8 ) and haven't touched KDE for I don't know how long. I decided to download and test this release, and it didn't take very long for me to switch over completely for a few reasons.

First, my extra internal drive is recognised and mounted immediately after install. While I realise this does not initially sound so amazing, but NONE of the Gnome based distros I have tried will do this. They all require me to create a folder in /media or the like and link the drive to it by editing the fstab. I always found that quite annoying. I mean, why would I NOT want a drive that resides inside of my system automounted in the first place? Anyway, I was overjoyed to see it right away in Dolphin. Just super!

Another small reason is for the excellent "Acquire Images" application included. I recently purchased a Brother multi unit (MFC-495CW....props to Brother for supplying driver install DEBs on the website!) and I really couldn't stand the XSane graphical app included in the Gnome distro. It would crash often, not save settings all of the time...yuck. The scanner app included in this release works perfectly and is simple. Again, just a small thing but worth noting.

Everything else runs smooth as butter on this end. I remember trying KDE a long time ago (maybe on Suse a decade ago) and I remember not liking it so much. I was a little reluctant to try this, but I am very glad I did. I read so much about how people do not like the "new" KDE, but to me it seems quite cut and dry simple. For someone that has not used it in many years, I was able to jump right in and fine tune it to my liking in a matter of minutes.

Anyway, just blabbing now. I just wanted to thank all involved for such a fine release!
verizon123

Post by verizon123 »

[quote="mick55"]@verizon123

Thank you Mick for your time and advice. Trying to install Irfanview was just a test of Wine-Doors - which should automatically take care of the steps you outlined. I know of someone who got Google Sketchup to work in Ubuntu. My point is that Mint8 is close to being a complete OS to rival Windows XP if it addresses missing items such as CAD (get Sketchup 7 to install easily), DivX support and MIDI support (a simple midi player and a midi sequencer that does not require jumping through hoops like the JACK server). Also, the constant need to use code in the Terminal to configure commonplace issues is a serious impediment to its widespread adoption: WIndows very rarely requires a DOS command. (BTW, today I installed XUbuntu 9.1.0 besides Mint8 to prepare for help with Sketchup. I could not set up a home network - something that Mint8 did automatically. So I deleted the XUbuntu folder and lost the dual-boot code so I had to reinsall Mint8!)
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

paulwakfer wrote:I have been using Mint 8 as Gnome and would very much like to try the KDE version (Kubuntu would not work on my system), but how do I burn a 1.1 GB CD?
Welcome to the forums, Paul.
The quick answer to your question is that you don't. You burn a 1.1 GB DVD.

Another option, if you have a large enough USB thumb drive and the ability to boot from a USB device is to put it on a bootable thumb drive. I just tried that and it was a piece of cake. If you're running Mint Gnome, use Synaptic to search for and install UNetbootin. Works great and it's faster than CD or DVD.
demag

Post by demag »

Hello,

I just installed this distro from a magazine dvd and its running quite nice. No probs as of yet. I tried to install Mint 7 Gloria last year but had some strange graphics problems which eventually stopped my computer booting.

This version is now installed on a brand new 500ghz hard drive and it is a nice experience. Thankyou.
deusex

Post by deusex »

I've been running LM8 KDE (kernel 2.6.32) now for about a week, and I must complement you with this fine edition of the OS, team!
Linux Mint 8 KDE seems to be another step forward. And its speed - I was pleasantly surprised.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Got it! Installed it! Lovin' it!! It's great to finally have my gorgeous KDE desktop back after the sojourn with Gnome.

I did have a minor issue with getting dual monitors working with my nvidia card, but muddled my way through that and am alternating between using it, installing the apps I blew away during installation, and configuring it.

Well done Boo and everyone else!! :mrgreen:
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” KDE Community Edition. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 KDE CE, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1265

Clem
Very,very nice!
My normal installation drill is: burn a disk-install-install the nvidia driver, mstt fonts, Adobe tools, secure the libdvdcss, navigate, read, 32-codecs, dragon player or another player. Install java run-time, Firefox, special tools for xine, vlc, Google and Mozilla. I think that is it. With this KDE addition I burned the disk and installed it. End of process. That was it! Great job everyone. This is superior to any other Linux Distro. Thank all of you.
I heave used Mint since Bea December of 2006?? I think. This is my first Forum note or mention that I am out here.
Regards,
And another thanks.
Alex
holadebob

Post by holadebob »

Hello - Just finished getting the wrinkles out of my Mint 8 Gnome install, and now want to install Mint 8 KDE. Can I install Mint 8 KDE seamlessly as an upgrade, or do I need to format my system file partition again?
Thank you - Bob
Mad_Sunday

Post by Mad_Sunday »

newonlinux wrote:After several attempts over the years,here I am again trying this linux feeling...hope I will not punch my monitor in the "face",like i did with suse,fedora, ubuntu.(vga driver issues)
Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
Installed it, runs fine. BUT...still no sound in Firefox flash (youtube). Amarok runs fine.

Same issue here, tried the alsamixer suggested but still no joy. System was working fine with Helena Gnome (for weeks) but I wanted KDE. The youtube app works fine but in firefox picture but no sound? So I'm guessing it's firefox/flash plugin problem.

Pete
deleted

Post by deleted »

Mint 8 KDE (and 64 bit) made me revisit KDE 4 (KDE 4 moved me to Gnome). Mint 8 KDE is fantastic. So I tried other KDE 4 distros, too. But nothing beats the out of the box experience that the Mint guys provide. Thanks for your hard work.
-Hinto
Truthfinder

Post by Truthfinder »

been using Mint 8 KDE since it's initial release. I'm really impressed. Great Job. Thank You....
mrpold

Post by mrpold »

HEY GUYS I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP ON A PROBLEM I BOUGHT 3 LAPTOPS LAST MONTH.
running win Vista...loaded on my lovable Mint8 on them however, i can get the WiFi to work in Mint on any of them. It work well on the vista but just wont turn on in Mint...
Laptops am Using is a Compaq Presario CQ60 (all 3 of them) 2GB Memory, 260HD,Webcam, DVDWR/LS.
What could be the Problem guys....?? cus i really hat having to use the slow Ethernet all the time when the WiFi signal is Superfast...
any one elsy having this problem???? that can hellp..

Return to “Releases & Announcements”