Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
User avatar
clem
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5652
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am
Contact:

Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby clem » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 pm

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” KDE Community Edition. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 KDE CE, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO [...]


Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1265

Clem
Image

schpunty
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby schpunty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:30 pm

I am currently running it and I must say, what a superb job you all have done!
I bow in reverence.
Bless you all!

martosurf
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:44 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby martosurf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 pm

schpunty wrote:I am currently running it and I must say, what a superb job you all have done!
I bow in reverence.
Bless you all!


That's a tipical Linux Mint user quote, cool :lol:

Waiting for the x64

User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4393
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby vrkalak » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Wow!! Another "out of the box" experience.

Awesome job, guys. :P Clem, this OS working "outta the box" thing is becoming a habit with you. :lol:
Last edited by vrkalak on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

User avatar
gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Roatan, Honduras
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby gravelbay » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Downloading it now for the laptop. Only 14 hours to go. (Oh, for infrastructure in Honduras! :( )

Eagerly anticipating the 64-bit KDE for my big computer.
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

mintuser777
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby mintuser777 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:51 am

Thall all the guys who worked for this Release. Keep up the good work..Congrats :)

PS: Are there major improvements over the RC1? I am currently running RC1.

User avatar
mick55
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1507
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:47 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby mick55 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:53 am

Oh Happy Day :D
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

richie43
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby richie43 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 am

Is it possible to upgrade from the wonderful rc1 or do I need to do a clean install? The rc1 is awesome! Thanks.

Rich

User avatar
Boo
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:48 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby Boo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:43 am

I do not think there are major changes/fixes from the RC.
so just upgrade. (once i have the mint updates in the repo).

only "big" change is a new usplash look.

Boo
Image
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

pascoa341
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby pascoa341 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:02 am

About to start my Linux career with this one! Well done all who made it, it looks and works great out of the box already!

richie43
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby richie43 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks. By "upgrade" do you mean "update"? Excuse my ignorance, but is there a difference? Thanks.

User avatar
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: VA. USA
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby mmesantos1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D

If you use Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta and have a Intel sound card, you must be hearing a popping sound every now and then. This is a known bug and here is a temporarily solution for it.

Press Alt + F2 and type:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

And comment (add a "#" in front of it) the last line called "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10". Basically, this is how the line should look after editing it:

#options snd-hda-intel power_save=10

Then save the file.
Image

User avatar
gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Roatan, Honduras
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby gravelbay » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm

mmesantos1 wrote:Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D

If you use Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta and have a Intel sound card, you must be hearing a popping sound every now and then. This is a known bug and here is a temporarily solution for it.

Press Alt + F2 and type:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

And comment (add a "#" in front of it) the last line called "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10". Basically, this is how the line should look after editing it:

#options snd-hda-intel power_save=10

Then save the file.

This isn't the right thread for this kind of question, but you can simply substitute "kate" or "kwrite" for "gedit. Any text editor should do the trick. You just need to run it as root.
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

User avatar
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: VA. USA
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby mmesantos1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:25 pm

gravelbay wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D

If you use Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta and have a Intel sound card, you must be hearing a popping sound every now and then. This is a known bug and here is a temporarily solution for it.

Press Alt + F2 and type:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

And comment (add a "#" in front of it) the last line called "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10". Basically, this is how the line should look after editing it:

#options snd-hda-intel power_save=10

Then save the file.

This isn't the right thread for this kind of question, but you can simply substitute "kate" or "kwrite" for "gedit. Any text editor should do the trick. You just need to run it as root.


Thanks, did not see bug thread for KDE final release. I browsed to the file as root in dolphin and now I fixed the issue. The OP of the fix might want to update his info for someone who may not know how to browse the the file and then edit. In any case it is resolved. :)
Image

aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby aelfinn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Just a small point of etiquette, gravelbay and mmesantos1. It's generally considered good form only to quote the specific part(s) of a post that you're making reference to in your reply. Makes for much easier reading of a thread. :)

User avatar
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:31 am
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby Aevum » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 am

I got poked with this info on Facebook! Well done everybody!! :D Superb job

momint
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby momint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:09 pm

New in Linux, I hope I will get good experience with Mint.

newonlinux
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby newonlinux » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:56 pm

After several attempts over the years,here I am again trying this linux feeling...hope I will not punch my monitor in the "face",like i did with suse,fedora, ubuntu.(vga driver issues)
Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
Installed it, runs fine. BUT...still no sound in Firefox flash (youtube). Amarok runs fine.

condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby condowax » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

newonlinux wrote:After several attempts over the years,here I am again trying this linux feeling...hope I will not punch my monitor in the "face",like i did with suse,fedora, ubuntu.(vga driver issues)
Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
Installed it, runs fine. BUT...still no sound in Firefox flash (youtube). Amarok runs fine.


You should try running alsamixer in konsole and raising the PCM bar to max. This fixed this issue for me.

Plymouth
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Postby Plymouth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 am

This will sound like an odd question, and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but here goes anyway...

Is there a way to temporarily revert to the old window manager etc used in Linux Mint 7?

The new shiny snazzy flashy look is great, but I have an emulator that is esssential to me, that does not run correctly on Mint 8. (The windows and icons are way too large, so that I can only see around 1/4 of the screen!)


Return to “Releases & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests