Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
pappfer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by pappfer » Wed May 05, 2010 8:52 am

I installed Linux Mint in Virtualbox just for now. Still waiting for the final release.

I personally always preferred Ubuntu's Software Center over Linux Mint's one. It just looks and works better for me. If I look for "homospien", it founds that theme in Ubuntu but doesn't in Linux Mint even if I check to search in description, too. Also it looks much nicer to me (all apps have it's own icon in the list).
It's great to see people opinion and rating of softwares in LM though. I also miss the message indicator applet, the Ubuntu One client and some little things but it's just a few clicks to install.

Anyway it seems to be a great system again, the Linux Mint features are great. I can't be grateful enough for the Ubuntu and the Linux Mint teams they're both amazing and make Linux more popular. Thank you very much for this great piece of software!

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 am

Why doesn't this thread show under Release & Announcements on the Board Index page? The last post showing under that section is dated 25th April and this thread doesn't show unless you actually go to that forum.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Treefrog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Treefrog » Wed May 05, 2010 9:15 am

Mint 9 RC.
I use a "Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-band USB adapter" and it has always worked perfect with Mint 8 and I think with Mint 7 too but in Mint 9 RC its not even saying hello!
Have a bunch of drivers been removed.. Is there a "big driver pile" in a repository or someplace that we can get easy.
Other than that I like Mint 9 RC. The way wall paper is handled is different for a duel monitor setup but I can get over that.
It would be nice if Gparted was installed by default its absolutely invaluable for managing partitions. If you need space on the CD then perhaps its possible to ship a slimmed down OpenOffice. Just an idea.

So far its just the wireless that stops me installing it everywhere. I'll throw another 10cents in when I see anything else.

Thanks for the effort everyone..

alligoodw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alligoodw » Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am

Hi there,

Have a look at my first post in this thread

the link to the ubuntugeek site has a possible fix for nvidia problems with the livecd.
I followed these instructions with no positive results. I entered the information provided in this thread and I got a low resolutioned garbled screen. I am still unable to install this version of Linux Mint. I love version 8 though!

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 am

I don't know if this was an issue with previous versions, but with the default theme the close button of a maximised window can't be clicked from right in the top corner, but must be clicked a pixel or two down. This is bad as far as Fitt's Law is concerned ;)

subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug » Wed May 05, 2010 11:40 am

wildhawk wrote:Does Mint 9 Isadora come with the social network integration as in Ubuntu 10.04? If so where / how do you find it?

Thanks, I love it!
Gwibber...?

Look in the Internet section of your menu for it. It's there for Live boot anyway I assume it's also installed.
Very nice client for Twitter too. Maybe my favorite I've used.

Isadora works very nicely on the Lenovo Y550 laptop, everything is picked up right out of the box, even the built in webcam.
Had it live booted for nearly 24 hours without issue. Also, had no issue when connecting an external (second) monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The only gotcha I found was with browsing network shares that require a user name and password. Browsing guest shares is a fine but, I don't even get an option to input a user/pass on protected shares. Just an error saying I don't have permission. I realize this *might* be due to Live booting and not using my normal user/pass so maybe someone can confirm...
otherwise it looks great.

foxpoint11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!\No1200 dpi in printi

Post by foxpoint11 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:48 pm

I have a HP 5280 printer.It runs great in Mint #8.Downloaded x64 Mint #9 .I could not get it to print dpi 1200.In fact there was no 1200 dpi setting.
There are only a few things that wll keep me on #8 Mint and printing only in 600 dpi is one.
All else runs well from disk.
Any advice,words of encouragement or you will fix it.

Savagedogg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Savagedogg » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Great job everyone, this is excellent!

Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cliff » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I downloaded and installed Isadora RC yesterday (May 4th). The Install worked perfectly. Graphics are great. I've rebooted about 6 times with no problems at all. Shutdown and Bootup times are quick and clean. Wireless works on USB External (RTL 8187 Chip) and Broadcom internal card (using STA Drivers on the Install CD).

The only fault so far is that my son's iphone (SW Ver 3.1.3)doesn't mount at all although it did on Helena.
My Sony Walkman works perfectly however.
I'm sure this will be resolved in the stable release.

My equipment is:
Dell Inspiron 15; 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz; Ram is: 3Gb.
Internal Wireless is: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312

Nice Job Clem, Thanks!
Cliff

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!\No1200 dpi in printi

Post by kmb42vt » Wed May 05, 2010 3:45 pm

foxpoint11 wrote:I have a HP 5280 printer.It runs great in Mint #8.Downloaded x64 Mint #9 .I could not get it to print dpi 1200.In fact there was no 1200 dpi setting.
There are only a few things that will keep me on #8 Mint and printing only in 600 dpi is one.
All else runs well from disk.
Any advice,words of encouragement or you will fix it.
For what it's worth, I have an HP1410 PSC all-in-one printer and the max DPI Isadora shows is only 300 and 600 DPI and I know it can print up to 1200 x 4800 DPI. For everyday use I can deal with 600 DPI (300 DPI is more draft quality than anything else). If my aging mind recalls correctly there used to be a specific HP printer "file" for a given specific HP printer model that you could load via your CUPS printer server web based interface. This "file" enabled all the abilities of any given HP printer. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to go looking for the old data yet. I do remember I used to have to download this "file" from the HP website itself for my specific printer.

Perhaps someone else here with a bit more time recalls this better than I do and if this still can be done?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

dragbug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dragbug » Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Install issues on the 64 bit version. Consistantly freezes my computer at 85% while doing the dpkg thing. I don't recall exactly what. I have tried multiple times using both the CD and USB. The 32 bit versions installed without a hitch.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu » Wed May 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Loving the new release, a few problems with resuming from hibernate which trying to fix resulted in a persistent kernel panic but a quick reinstall (least amount of time between installs ever) sorted that and got a workaround sorted.

Just a suggestion, the Mint bookmarks in Firefox take up a lot of room and could be better sorted into a folder and also, should there not be a link to the community.linuxmint.com site as that's now mentioned in the Welcome screen?
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug » Wed May 05, 2010 5:23 pm

beefstu wrote:Loving the new release, a few problems with resuming from hibernate which trying to fix resulted in a persistent kernel panic but a quick reinstall (least amount of time between installs ever) sorted that and got a workaround sorted.
If you just accepted a default partitioning when you installed then hibernating won't work. Read in the Ubuntu 10.04 notes that you'll need to create a swap partition double the size of your system ram if you want hibernation and the default install doesn't do that.

I imagine Mint is no different.

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree » Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm about to take a dip in Isadora with my spare 80 gig, how's the water (OS)?
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm

subslug wrote:
beefstu wrote:Loving the new release, a few problems with resuming from hibernate which trying to fix resulted in a persistent kernel panic but a quick reinstall (least amount of time between installs ever) sorted that and got a workaround sorted.
If you just accepted a default partitioning when you installed then hibernating won't work. Read in the Ubuntu 10.04 notes that you'll need to create a swap partition double the size of your system ram if you want hibernation and the default install doesn't do that.

I imagine Mint is no different.

Then maybe that should be an option? seems silly to hide away something like that :?

Waffl3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Waffl3 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

I haven't noticed any bugs and am very impressed with this release so far. Everything is working straight out of the box. This release is quickly becoming my favourite os. This is the first time that my ati graphics card has been properly detected and the proper drivers downloaded. In LM 8 I always had troubles getting my graphic driver working properly, and this caused several problems that I learned to 'live' with.

I can't wait for the final release. I will definitely be recommending the final release to all my windows using friends.

Keep up the good work mint team :wink:

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi,

Linux Mint 9 RC 'Isadora' x64bit Edition

x64bit Edition

During the installation process, Yes at 85%, i have waited for
at least 4/5 minutes for dpkg to finish its work but all went good
after that. People should be patient and wait for dpkg to do its job.

BUG: MintInstall (software manager) categories:

Others and System Packages , they don't open and make MintInstall
to crash. The only solution is force to quit.
(the mintInstall update did not solve the problem)

I run Startupmanager and fixed that weird LM Plymouth Boot Splash.
Changed to 1024x768 resolution + 24

I think i will downgrade to the 185 NVidia driver manually because
the 195 one is not working properly with NVidia 7 series for my
AMD64 computer.

Best wishes
Roberto

bohoomil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bohoomil » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm

The RC version is great. I loved Helena, but Isadora simply shines. It's been running on my laptop with all the apps I use on a regular basis and there seems to be no issues. All the tweaks are marvelous -- little things that make huge difference. Thank you so much for your excellent work -- I've been looking forward for this release and I'm so happy to see it almost done.

There's only one little nuisance: after installing proprietary nVidia drivers and setting them up so that they should work with Plymouth (as described here: http://bit.ly/cVfQbK ), the Mint logo during boot-up has moved far to the left border of the screen. I don't know if this is only my case or others' as well, but in order to make Isadora 100% perfect I'd like to know how I could fix it. Thank you in advance for any bit of advice.

davorsite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davorsite » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 pm

I installed RC of Mint 9 today on my laptop, Acer 1,8 Ghz, 2 GB RAM. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on second partition but Mint is better. I had some issues on Ubuntu but here I resolved them all. Printer Canon Pixma iP1500 finally works after some terminal work, and scanner Mustek 1200 UB Plus also managed to work. Now I can completely move on linux. I don't know what will final version of Linux Mint 9 provide but RC is amazing, working great. Tomorrow I try it on desktop computer where I have NVidia 9800 GT, I hope it would go without problems.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Wed May 05, 2010 7:26 pm

I myself have also tried out the Isadora RC, installed on a separate partition, and it looks quite stable already. I still have the same problems as in Mint 8 though...namely, I can't suspend with my SATA AHCI controller enabled in the BIOS (I have to switch to Legacy IDE to suspend and resume properly, which sucks since I have a SATA hard drive), and brightness still doesn't seem to work (the closest 'fix' I ever got was to run nvidia-settings to turn down the brightness, but it only seems to darken the pixels on the screen and not actually dim my LCD, which doesn't do anything to save power). These are likely upstream issues/hardware-related issues as they seem to persist in other distros, however. Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to the final release of Mint 9! :)
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Return to “Releases & Announcements”