Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
dragbug
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by dragbug »

dragbug wrote:
Rob Brill wrote: Sorry dragbug.

Now i understand you and your irony. I think i deserved it.
Give Linux Mint Gnome RC x64 one more chance. If you have
time, do a new installation and check if the problem persists.
Well, we'll have a final version of the Gnome x64 edition and
i believe everything will be ok. This x64 RC is very promising
and very good.

Thanks Clem and the Linux Mint Team.

Cheers
Roberto
Thanks for understanding. I tried it 4 times and it consistently locks up during the dpkg part at 85%. I don't think trying again will make any difference unless they changed something in the ISO since releasing the RC build. Ubuntu 10.04 works fine and since LM9 is based off Ubuntu, I am hopeful that by the time it releases officially it will be working as well. In the mean time I am running the 32 bit and enjoying it.

Ok just as an update to this. I downloaded the 64 bit ISO again just to be sure and tried installing again. Same outcome as before. So I decided to try something else and again tried to install. At 85% it starts downloading language packs and it is immediately after this that is runs dpkg so when the language packs showed, I clicked skip. It then jumped to 93% and started checking for hardware. It kept on going and eventually tried downloading language packs so I skipped it once again. Then it started running dpkg but this time it finished and eventually finished the entire install so here I am typing in LM9 64 bit. Something about the language packs maybe causing an issue with my computer on the 64 bit version.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

msm wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone noticed that the "Software Manager" is taking around 10-15 secs to open and around 5 to 8 secs to close since the last couple of rounds of updates. It was opening nice and quick yesterday morning. Synaptic on the other hand is opening within a couple of seconds after I click the icon in the Menu as normal. (level 1 to 3 updates only).
Yup, same here - except it takes up to 30 secs for it to open.

same here, takes awhile to open up : 3G connectivity has improved dramatically and stays connected much longer then previous releases.

Edit: updated to kernel 2.6.32.22 performing well, all seems more responsive. FF opening up as quick as chrome.
Edit: Hibernation working but dosnt remember what was left open on desktop and have to reopen what i left open on hibernation (i that makes sense)
Edit: icons resize back to default size on every reboot.

minor issues really
Last edited by ibm450 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux & Plasma - LMDE4 - Kubuntu 20.04 - Win 10 LTSC De-bloated
Image Image
mrnicegaay
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by mrnicegaay »

Hello,
the current RC contains an initrd.lz which doesn't allow to start Linux Mint 9 from an ISO copied to an usb-drive and booted with Grub4Dos. The same situation occurred with Ubuntu 10.04 RC. In the final relase this problem disappeared. So I copied the initrd from Ubuntu final to the Linux Mint 9 RC iso and all worked fine. Will the final Linux Mint contain the initrd from the final Ubuntu 10.04?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

ibm450 wrote:
msm wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone noticed that the "Software Manager" is taking around 10-15 secs to open and around 5 to 8 secs to close since the last couple of rounds of updates. It was opening nice and quick yesterday morning. Synaptic on the other hand is opening within a couple of seconds after I click the icon in the Menu as normal. (level 1 to 3 updates only).
Yup, same here - except it takes up to 30 secs for it to open.

same here, takes awhile to open up : 3G connectivity has improved dramatically and stays connected much longer then previous releases.

updated to kernel 2.6.32.22 performing well, all seems more responsive. FF opening up as quick as chrome.
I found a bug report at launchpad for this problem but it badly needs to be updated by others who are experiencing the same thing. Clem left some simple instructions to be followed for troubleshooting purposes which I followed and left in a comment to the bug report. I'm hoping you two might do the same and perhaps others here on this thread could check the big report for instructions and their own installs to see if this problem exists.

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/576056
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I don't know if this is a legitimate bug or just a minor glitch in either my downloads or burns.

Mint 9 x64 downloaded twice, md5 sums checked okay both times. Burned each download to CD using K3b, raw mode, slowest speed. Again md5 sums checked okay. On live desktop, Mint menu, click to see "All Applications", I get a blank page.

If it had happened once, I'd have passed it off as a bad burn. With the same glitch in two downloads I thought I should mention it
Registered Linux User 483387
swatfoot79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swatfoot79 »

Hello Everyone i'm running mint 9 64bit RC and wondering if I will be able to upgrade with having to do a clean install usally It wouldn't bother me but I have vmplayer setup and working great and would hate to have to install my vm's over again. so I was hoping there will be a upgrade via the update manager. great job on this build!
System: C2D,4GB DDR2,Nvidia 250 GTS,22in LCD,Linux Mint 9 RC1
martinfromdublin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by martinfromdublin »

Unfortunately, LM 9 is incompatible with a Packard Bell EasyNote B3312. Looks like a display driver issue.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

Just installed Mint 9 on my new Dell Vostro 230 and it works great! Broadcom NetLink ethernet card is detected also. Definitely worth the donation for the hard work that was put into this version.

Thanks,
Victor.
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

Please, please, please fix the abomination of text beside icons that has been foisted upon Ubuntu 10.04
users! I much prefer icons only on my apps (and I'm sure there are others that prefer text below icons)
Please bring back that choice in LM9!

OK found the answer:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/easi ... e-tab.html

Will switch to KDE once Gnome 3 is released :shock:
Last edited by Beerislife on Sat May 08, 2010 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
five40i
Level 1
Level 1

Post by five40i »

Hi;
First of all I would like to say thank you for all your efforts in creating Mint, this distribution is outstanding by far. Ubuntu cannot compare. Anyway. I have one situation that I have come up. I found that my laptop wouldn't wake up when it suspended (Closing the lid). I would get a black screen and that was it, computer wouldn't wake up. This didn't happen in Helena or the previous version or the one before that. So I tried another Kernel. Problem fixed. I loaded Kernel 2.6.32-020632-generic and all fixed. Laptop wakes up perfectly now but I have a problem with booting, It shows the Ubuntu splash screen....Still boots okay though and everything works just fine. Maybe this will help someone.
mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

Just installed Mint 9 RC Gnome 32 bit.

Works great. :mrgreen:

Thank you very much. :D

mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Superb, excellent, marvellous!!!
Great work you guys. Thanks.

Lenovo R61e
Flawless in every way is what I would like to say, and it almost was, but it didn't import my files from another Linux account (openSUSE M6).
Otherwise I can't fault it.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
wesley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wesley »

love it so far, use mint4wim, how mount windows partition?

cheers
tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven »

Now I have been running Mint 9 rc for a couple of days.

I have not installed it on my hard disk yet. I am running Mint 9 rc from a "living" USB-stick. It works well and I can do all updates and configurations (except updating the "plymouth"-packages, they totally damaged the boot possibility on my stick when I tried!!!) :evil:

I moved the stick from my Acer Aspire One to my desktop, and it still worked fine.
This is amazing news for me, because the desktop has an ATI Radeon HD 3650 Graphical card, which has caused a lot of big problems earlier.
Now it worked really fine without any closed drivers!!

All the Compiz config-settings I had done in my Acer still worked in the desktop without I had to to anything. :D

I made my "living stick" using Mint 9rc and "usb-creator-gtk". I didn't work when I tried the same in Mint 8.

By the way, take a thought about the name of this program. (Startup Disk Creator!!) You ought to rename it to something better!! :?

I really like the yellow background with an oak-leaf very much!! :mrgreen:

The screensaver with "GLSlideshow" was a fantastic selection! :mrgreen:

I think you really should activate the "Window List" and the "Workspace Swither" by default. :!:

Another thing I found out is the "Printer configurator", it did not find my network printer as easy as i did in Mint 8. Now I had to type the IP-address before it could find the printer.

This is really a great release!! Very well done. Thanks again ALL of you! :D

/Sven
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Beerislife wrote:Please, please, please fix the abomination of text beside icons that has been foisted upon Ubuntu 10.04
users! I much prefer icons only on my apps (and I'm sure there are others that prefer text below icons)

OK found the answer:

The feature you ask for is already present in LM9 RC, no need to install anything or use gconf. Control Center/Desktop Settings/Look and Feel/Desktop Settings. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for from there.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
FrogDemon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrogDemon »

Tried both x86 and x64 editions of this and I have never had good results with ANY x64 edition distro. Until now! I have to say that the x64 seems tons better then the x86 release. That isn't to say the x86 is bad, far from it. The x86 is so freakin stable and fast, that I wwas loathed at tryin the x64. But I did!!! Sorry to say this though, the x86 edition will not be on this pc again. I love the x64!!!

Thanx Clem and the Gang for another awesome, incredibly stable release!!!!

Froggy
Release The Beast Within!!! Use Linux Mint!!!
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

kmb42vt wrote:
Beerislife wrote:Please, please, please fix the abomination of text beside icons that has been foisted upon Ubuntu 10.04

OK found the answer:

The feature you ask for is already present in LM9 RC, no need to install anything or use gconf. Control Center/Desktop Settings/Look and Feel/Desktop Settings. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for from there.
Oh goody! Haven't really had time to go through the RC LiveCD. If I have time today (yeah, right!) I'll fire it
up again on my test machine and take a peek. Thanks for the info!
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

Does anyone here use the Iron browser? I really like it but for some reason I continue to get an "aw snap" page on most websites. My OS is Mint 9 64bit if that helps. Thanks.

Robin
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

You mean, SRWare Iron, the browser based on Chromium? To be honest, I've never used it before...I just stick with the upstream Chromium (it's the source project for browsers like Google Chrome, SRWare Iron, ChromePlus, etc.) because I like getting cutting-edge features first and playing with them, and because Chromium doesn't include the RLZ identifier that exists in Google Chrome (if you're worried about privacy, besides Chrome's RLZ, you can choose to opt-out of everything else in the "Under the hood" tab in the Options).

Anyways, I think it would be best if you posted directly on the Iron forums and asked their devs/community members. It's not an upstream issue from Chromium or anything (Chromium works perfectly fine for me, at least), so it's probably a problem that's unique to Iron.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

vincent wrote:You mean, SRWare Iron, the browser based on Chromium? To be honest, I've never used it before...I just stick with the upstream Chromium (it's the source project for browsers like Google Chrome, SRWare Iron, ChromePlus, etc.) because I like getting cutting-edge features first and playing with them, and because Chromium doesn't include the RLZ identifier that exists in Google Chrome (if you're worried about privacy, besides Chrome's RLZ, you can choose to opt-out of everything else in the "Under the hood" tab in the Options).

Anyways, I think it would be best if you posted directly on the Iron forums and asked their devs/community members. It's not an upstream issue from Chromium or anything (Chromium works perfectly fine for me, at least), so it's probably a problem that's unique to Iron.

Well Vincent, you have taught me something. I did not realize that about the RLZ identifier and chromium. I also use chromium but didn't like the thoughts of google knowing everything we do are what sites we visit. Thanks a million for explaining that. I went to Iron's forums and there was a couple posts about the same issue but they have no fix. It is a plugin thing but that's all they know. I'll keep trucking on in chromium then. :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”