Do you use Beagle search?

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead

Do you use Beagle search?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:34 am

Yes
4
3%
No
93
76%
Not sure what it is
8
7%
Once in a blue moon
17
14%
 
Total votes: 122

User avatar
The Darkone
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:16 am
Location: Germany

Post by The Darkone »

This is the first package I've deinstall I use Catfish
FewClues
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Beagle Search Survey

Post by FewClues »

I voted for once in a blue moon. I rarely loose anything with home directory organized as it is. I appreciate it when its needed but its rare that its needed.
dgittler
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 am

Post by dgittler »

shane wrote:MS Outlook?!?! that just sent shivers down my spine... switch to Thunderbird dude... you use Linux... you should know better than to use Outlook... hehe.
Thank you, but I don't find Thunderbird anywhere as near as full featured or as useful for organizing my emails nor archiving 10 years of communications. Thunderbird and Linux are good enough to run on my underpowered laptop for quick browsing, email checking, and basic writing, but I've found nothing better than Windows and the whole MS Office suite for features, ease of use, and unquestioned compatability.
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

dgittler,

Personally, I use Evolution, and if you have 10 years worth of .pst files I would find that amazing!

Evolution lets me pull into my e-mail account several storage areas.

Plus other features.

C'mon get with the idea of the Forum here. We help each other.

Adler
dgittler
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 am

Post by dgittler »

Adler wrote: . . . and if you have 10 years worth of .pst files I would find that amazing!
That I do! Everything is currently in the .pst format for Outlook 2007, but they've all been converted again and again through various formats going all the way back to Netscape Communicator 3.x (?), Eudora 3.01, and Outlook Express's Ancestor, Microsoft Internet Mail and News 1.0
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

Speaking about Search -- here comes Strigi @ http://strigi.sourceforge.net/

It is supposed to be part of KDE 4.0, which now is in Beta.

Adler
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

dgittler wrote:Thank you, but I don't find Thunderbird anywhere as near as full featured or as useful for organizing my emails nor archiving 10 years of communications.
Funny, because I do exactly *that* ... I started with Linux in 1996 and for my modest & humble Internet needs back then I started out with the Netscape browser suite and Netscape Mail ... The funny point with Netscape products was that the next newer version was always downwards compatible with the previous releases. And so my mail and browser settings were over time upgraded: from some obscure Netscape 2.x something releases I can hardly remember they were taken over by Netscape 3.x, by Netscape 4.x .... and now I use Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 and ThunderBird .... and I still got all my mails 10 years back.

BTW, ThunderBird has some very nifty search functions and it allows you to store your searches (and the results thereof) as kind of a 'virtual folder' in your folder panel. Highly useful. And I am the living proof that this works tip top. :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

dgittler wrote: I've found nothing better than Windows and the whole MS Office suite for features, ease of use, and unquestioned compatability.
"Microsoft" and "unquestioned compatability" in the same sentence?? LOL :D
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

BTW, ThunderBird has some very nifty
scorp123,

A little bit off topic from my side, but I've stuck with Evolution. Can TB spell-check in multiple languages at the same time? I do that with Evolution.

Also, I never was able to add my signature .GIF to my signature line as I can do with Evolution. Or, HTML links?

Just curious.

I'm having a very busy day here, and forgot to answer the poster that mentioned that he [/i]had saved all those .pst files. I've got a lot saved to CD, but never could import them into a Linux app. But, those are so old, at this point, it no longer matters. I let GMail take over some of the load. LOL!

Adler
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

Adler wrote: Can TB spell-check in multiple languages at the same time? I do that with Evolution.
I don't use those features. My "spell checker" are the English lessons of John Patrick O'Neill and the many many years I spent in Swiss schools :wink: ... Although not always perfect it's "good enough". But yes, Thunderbird has spell-checkers ... except I don't use them.
Adler wrote: Also, I never was able to add my signature .GIF to my signature line as I can do with Evolution. Or, HTML links?
Back at HP I had a signature "hp -- invent" logo (a JPEG file) and I never had troubles with sending URL's. GIF is a proprietary format now, so maybe you should try a free format such as JPEG or PNG?
Adler wrote: saved all those .pst files. I've got a lot saved to CD, but never could import them into a Linux app.
The easiest thing to do is to install Thunderbird on Windows, and then let it import the Outlook (where the *.PST files are mounted as folders) settings. From there on it's very easy to transport the Thunderbird settings to any other platform you wish -- just copy the files over into the right place (on Linux: ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ) and you're done.
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

scorp123,

Before this goes on too long both my English, and German are good. Spanish, and French are questionable.

I can convert any image that I have to any format.

I spent three years living outside of Basle.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

Adler wrote:I spent three years living outside of Basle.
Nice :D
dgittler
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 am

Post by dgittler »

scorp123 wrote:"Microsoft" and "unquestioned compatability" in the same sentence?? LOL :D
Certainly. Never, not once has someone not been able to read one of my Word documents or Excel spreadsheets, nor have I had difficulty in reading something sent to me. Spreadsheets from Spain, documents in Chinese from China, everything works beautifully and MS Office handles it all.

I realize many Linux users love to scoff at Microsoft but the fact remains that their software is powerful, easy to use, and I freely chose it for that reason. Likewise I freely chose Mint to use on my laptop because it fits my needs for that computer and does what I need it to do as well as being lighter on resources.

It's a shame, and ironic, that Linux users will boast about a friendly community and proclaim that everyone should have freedom of choice in their software, but then scoff and belittle the choices of others if it's not to their preferences, especially if that choice is Microsoft. Attitudes like that can't help but leave a bitter taste in the mouths of non-Linux users that even mints have a hard time removing, once tasted.
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Post by linuxviolin »

dgittler wrote:the fact remains that their software is powerful, easy to use
If you say or want it… but nevertheless I do not agree fully with that. :?
dgittler wrote:It's a shame, and ironic, that Linux users will boast about a friendly community and proclaim that everyone should have freedom of choice in their software, but then scoff and belittle the choices of others if it's not to their preferences, especially if that choice is Microsoft.
Of course everybody is free to choose what he wants, nobody says the opposite. But also everybody is free to express its opinion… even against Microsoft. :wink:
You fall here into what you denounce, in the opposite direction :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Fort Lonesome, Florida
Contact:

Post by kenetics »

I realize many Linux users love to scoff at Microsoft but the fact remains that their software is powerful, easy to use, and I freely chose it for that reason.
And expensive!

I used to be the office guru on spreadsheets, some had 40 worksheets filled with formulas, tables and VBA modules. Believe me, compatability between Excel versions is not all that great. We started out with Lotus 123, and everyone groaned when we made the switch to MS Office. Now that I'm retired, it is a pleasure to use the Open Office Suite, even if it lacks some of the power of MS.

Btw, after years of losing mail by having to reinstall Windows, changing computers, and the possibility of downloading viruses, I leave all my email on the internet, both with my ISP and with free email sources (Yahoo is a good one). I don't even install email client software on my computers. I can access my mail from any computer. I can't think of any reason to download email.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

dgittler wrote: but the fact remains that their software ...
... totally sucks big-time. Don't waste your time trying to convince me of the opposite. Microsoft sucks. Their software is broken by design and a security nightmare. The company has been convicted of illegal activities. They don't stick to any standards but instead 'kidnap' existing standards and then make people believe that their crap changes are "innovations". That's their "embrace + extend + extinguish" tactics. How many noobs are out there who in all earnest believe that Microsoft "invented" TCP/IP and the Internet? Too many! Microsoft sucks big time. That's my personal and professional opinion. In the areas where I work (e.g. security-sensitive zones ...) Microsoft is flat-out banned from the network for being nothing but a waste of valuable system resources and for being the most likely entry point for any security glitch that your network will hit by. And don't get me started on that joke of firewall they ship with XP and onwards.
dgittler wrote: easy to use, and I freely chose it for that reason.
You are free to use whatever you want (and can afford) and what works best for you. I am not trying to "missionate" you into using something different.
dgittler wrote: but then scoff and belittle the choices of others if it's not to their preferences, especially if that choice is Microsoft.
I scoff at this particular sentence: << "Microsoft" and "unquestioned compatability" >> ... Especially given that it has been proven time and time again that Microsoft deliberately changes their software so that it in fact *BREAKS* compatibility. I am sorry to say but that sentence of your's is either a really really sad and bad joke or you are not nearly informed and qualified enough to make any statements about "compatibility" and Microsoft software.

As I said above: Please feel free to use what you want. But don't try to "missionate" others please, especially not with such rather questionable and factually false statements as above.
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

its a pretty shade of blue
calumc,

Did they copy that shade of blue from OpenOffice?
nothing in it is backwards compatible!
I think they did the same thing with Office 98.

Game on M$, game on...

At least we can discuss real user experiences here.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
User avatar
Adler
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Wilwood, New Jersrey
Contact:

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

This might seem like a brutal question, but why run any of these resource intensive applications? I ran Beagle, then had to keep indexing my files.

I found it far simpler to park a few things in Cyberspace, and then just keep things organized in my /Home Folder. I have photos / screen shots that would never be indexed because I hadn't changed their names.

This is a pretty complex app, which really has never worked for me because for years now I never labellled everything to be indexed.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

Adler wrote: This might seem like a brutal question, but why run any of these resource intensive applications?
Exactly. It just eats the resources away and if you keep your stuff a bit organised you won't even need those apps.
Adler wrote: just keep things organized in my /Home Folder.
Absolutely. Keep things tidy, don't clutter your desktop with icons you won't use anyway, put text files into a folder "Textfiles", put photos into "Photos/NameOfPersonOnThePhoto" (e.g. Photos/Family/ ... /Photos/Colleagues, etc.) and so on and so on and you won't ever need Beagle ... and you can use the free computer resources for something else :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by scorp123 »

contents wrote: The nice thing about tools like beagle and tracker is that they're able to search text within files.
Standard shell tools such as 'grep' can do that since the 1970's :D

Code: Select all

grep "TextWeSearchFor" -r /where/we/search/for/it
And you can combine this with 'find' for more efficiency. E.g. if you know that the text passage is inside a file with the ending *.txt you can combine these two and do something like e.g.:

Code: Select all

find . -name \*.txt -exec grep -H "free soul" {} \;
Result:

Code: Select all

./Documents/Textdocuments/Spartan_Epitaph.txt:Should any free soul come across this place
... and all this is done in seconds and doesn't take up too many system resources.
contents wrote: So that if you're looking for all of the documents, html files, etc., where a certain word or name is mentioned, beagle or tracker can find them.
See above. It's also possible to perform such tasks easily without such resource-hungry tools.
contents wrote: The major work of indexing, where the cpu speed ramps up and everything slows down, should only happen once, as far as I understand, and that might take five or ten minutes.
But if you have like 100's of GB of data then this indexing business can take awful long ages. It's just too much of a hassle for me.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate efforts such as Beagle and I can see that programs such as Beagle would be a welcome addition to the desktop for many users. But given current circumstances regarding Beagle's behaviour I can't help but come to the conclusion that this excellent idea behind Beagle is apparently being badly executed ... Resource-hungry as Beagle is at the moment I guess most users are better off not using it at the moment.
Locked

Return to “Releases & Announcements”