Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
tux-sven

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by tux-sven »

Very nice, i have installed it on an USB-stick formatted as ext2. (one partition and Grub also installed on it)
I made it this way because I had so big problems with LM9G and wanted to test before a HD installation.
So far the LMDE-release seems to be very stable and fast, I like it. :mrgreen:

Thank you all who has been involved in this excellent release. :D

But I wonder: There are a lot more updates shown in Synaptic than is present in the update manager??
Could I also install all the updates shown in Synaptic or are there any disadvantages? :?

EDIT:
Now i have tried update from Synaptic.....
It updated kernel images and some other things.
It wasn't a good idea my panel is damaged and I can not reach the program menu any longer. :(

Must I reinstall everything?

EDIT2:
I didn't solve the problems. I was forced to reinstall. Depending on the slow dpkg-process it took me a couple of hours. (Is the dpkg-process slower in LMDE, or is it the installation on a ext2-USB-stick that causes the slowness?)

Anyway, now it's up and works nice again. :mrgreen:

By the way, you who have an Acer Aspire One D250 - it works great on that machine! :D
Last edited by tux-sven on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Old Tech »

Great release Mint Debian I have been waiting a long time. :D Thanks guys By the way it installed without a problem.
burjans

Post by burjans »

That is the best idea, I am glad for the news

http://www.com-sl.org/linux-mint-debian.html

:D
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

good work, i'm waiting for other versions.
geezuslvr

Post by geezuslvr »

Clem...Do you ever read these praises?
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

I've tinkered with lm9deb for the past couple of days. Unfortunately for me, I have more problems than praise with this LM release.

For the praise, Clem and everyone else involved have done an awesome job with the usual Linux Mint polish. On the few occasions that I could get lm9deb to work properly, it was fast as heck, and used minimal memory. Mine was running a little under 200 Mb's at idle. I expect that once the rough edges are rounded out, lm9deb will be another great addition to the Linux Mint family. Sadly, this is one that I can't use just yet.

As noted above, I've had more problems with this install than any other Linux Mint version to date. After my third install, and a new download from another site, I can get to the Desktop, but can't do anything with it.

My observations during the three installs:

During my second install, even though I had set my /home partition to be ext3, it was installed as ext4. / installed as ext3 as requested. With a new image, and the third install, /home still installed as ext4, even though I made sure that it was set to install as ext3, and to be formatted as such.

The install partitioner is not consistent in how it sees the drives. During my first two installs, it saw my OS/Distro drive as sda. During the third install with the new image, it saw it as sdc. No changes have been made to my system, beyond the installation of lm9deb.

The installed time is not correct. Time locale was set to United States, New York. After install and reboot, system shows time as 4 hours behind my current time. LiveDVD showed the correct time while being used.

After install, and rebooting, came up with the following errors:

1. Could not update ICEauthority file /home/ryan-lm9deb/.ICEauthority
2. There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
3. The panel encountered a problem while loading, OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu, Do you want to delete applet from your configuration?
4. Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/ryan-lm9deb/Desktop, /home/ryan-lm9deb/.nautilus

After running through all of these error messages, the presented Desktop had no menu button, and no desktop icons. However, Network was able to connect, and I was able to do updates from the shield icon in the task bar.

During my first and second installs, I would encounter all of the above messages, but if I did a hard reboot, none of the error messages would show up the next time, and everything would appear on the Desktop as it should. If I did a hard reboot again, the errors would show up again. With my third install, every reboot shows the above messages, and I am unable to use Linux Mint.

For the hardware curious, I'm running the following;

CPU – AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz
Heatsink/Fan – Scythe SCKBT-1000 Kabuto
Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Memory – 6 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Video Card – EVGA GeForce GTX470
TV Card – Hauppage HVR-1800
I/O Flex 5 Port PCI Host Controller
Dynex Multicard Reader
Lite-On DVD Drive
1 Seagate 250 Gb
1 Seagate 500 Gb
4 Western Digital 1 Tb

Since Daryna, I've always been eager to install the latest Linux Mint release candidate, and have always been happy. Unfortunately, I guess this time around I'll have to exercise some patience, and stick with lm9x64 for awhile longer. But I have no doubt that when Clem and the others have gone through this release with a fine tooth comb, this Debian release is going to stand the Linux world on its head.

*****EDIT*****

i believe that I have solved the issues that I had above. It appears to be a permissions problem with the /home folder after install. When I did an ls of /home/ryan-lm9deb, and then just /home, nothing showed in the directory. So I ended up having to do the following:

Ctrl+Alt+F3 from the partial Desktop
Enter login name and password at prompts
sudo chown user:user /home
sudo chmod 644 /home
sudo chown -R /home
Ctrl+Alt+F7
Reboot

I have restarted, and shut down several times, and have not had the errors reappear yet. It appears that I now have a functioning lm9deb. :mrgreen:
Last edited by MissileCop on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nirajup

Post by nirajup »

I am also facing a similar issue with my LMDE install. After reboot I am getting following messages and I can not use Desktop.

1. Could not update ICEauthority file /home/ryan-lm9deb/.ICEauthority
2. There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
3. The panel encountered a problem while loading, OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu, Do you want to delete applet from your configuration?
4. Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/ryan-lm9deb/Desktop, /home/ryan-lm9deb/.nautilus
nirajup

Post by nirajup »

What I have observed that, if I go to recovery option at Grub menu and then after giving the root password simply type 'exit' , it gives proper and completely usable desktop without any issue. However I don't think that it is a solution to this issue.
brucedp

Post by brucedp »

When I saw the new release on distrowatch I was hopeful of a return to LinuxMint 7 values. After the install, I found similar issues to LinuxMint versions after version 7.

This Debian version is faster. But the use of Pulse Audio as the volume control stops this lm-respin from being an 'out-of-the-box' Linux experience. After install, I had to install Gnome Alsa Mixer to regain control over the audio.

Other apps I had to install that did not come with the install were my personal preferences, but it would be good to have a CD version of this respin so more people who do not have bootable DVD drive could try it. Perhaps by not including OpenOffice the .iso file size can be reduced?

I found the live DVD experience was good. The install process when well too. Perhaps you just have to know to highlight the partition you want to install on and then right click on it to edit the parameters, completing the install process.

In my case I have three Windows and three Linux partitions on my hard drive. LinuxMint Debian uses GRUB 1.98 which messed up on the install: adding an unnecessary partition location (hd0,6) in front of the initrd line of the PCLOS LXDE 2010.01 listing. I changed the line
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd.img
to
initrd /boot/initrd.img
and my PCLOS LXDE partition booted up OK again.

My LinuxMint 7 x64 bit partition and the PCLOS LXDE partition both use the old Grub version. Funny how the GRUB 1.98 did not mess up the LinuxMint 7 x64 initrd line, but did mess up the PCLOS initrd line (?!?).

After install, 2.9Gb of disc space was used. After I did the updates, 3.22 Gb of disc space was used. A minimum partition size would be 4Gb (4120Mb).

Default partition format file-system type is ext4. PCLOS LXDE and LinuxMint 7 64 (both are ext3) accessed the ext4 partition just fine.

I hope future versions of LinuxMint Debian use Gnome Alsa mixer for the volume control.
And there is a 64 bit version released.
It would also be interesting to see if the LinuxMint LXDE team would make a very fast LinuxMint Debian 64 bit LXDE version available (... more speed Scotty!).

My thanks to the LinuxMint Debian team's efforts.

My hardware:
Mobo: ECS GeForce6100PM-M2
Video: integrated GeForce6150SE Nforce430, set to use 256Mb
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9750, 64-bit 2.4 GHz
Ram: 4 Gb DDR2 800MHz
Optical drive: sata CD/DVD burner
Hard drive: sata II 160Gb:
sda1, sda2, sda3, (different Windows versions),
sda4 extended partition, sda5 swap,
sda6, sda7, sda8 (different Linux versions)
cocolopez

Post by cocolopez »

I need 1 of 2 thing:

Either you explain me how to install LMDE without gnome and how to install LXDE...

Or you make a Linux Mint Debian LXDE desktop.

PLEASE!!!
I have a netbook so I need speed! I have Mint Lxde now but I read debian is so much faster.

Thanks!
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

cocolopez wrote:I need 1 of 2 thing:

Either you explain me how to install LMDE without gnome and how to install LXDE...

Or you make a Linux Mint Debian LXDE desktop.

PLEASE!!!
I have a netbook so I need speed! I have Mint Lxde now but I read debian is so much faster.

Thanks!
:idea:
dear cocolopez,
"apt-get update" and
" apt-get install lxde" “apt-get remove gdm” "apt-get remove xfce4." read for more details my tutorial (in portuguese) at http://sidux.forumdebian.com.br/forumno ... 61&start=0
If you don't understand portuguese use the google translator,
cheers.
:arrow:
Pondus

Post by Pondus »

Linux Mint Debian sounds very promising. But I won't give it a try with the Gnome desktop. The only thing I like about Gnome is the menu (wish a similar menu would be available for KDE4! Kind of tasty menu style.). As soon as there is a KDE LMDE version I'll install it. Especially the rolling release mechanism makes it very interesting. But why Testing and not Sid? Testing gets no security fixes when they are needed, the fixes go to Sid.
Doctore

Post by Doctore »

First post by long time Debian and espcially Xandros user :roll: !

Several Linux projects puts too much effort on compiling everything, instead of using already
available packages and polish their OS. Anyway, LMDE has the right course and is easily splitable
into an "LTS" (=Stable) edition when Squeeze goes 6.0 while also continuing as "Rolling Release"
(=Testing) edition.

Maintaining Debian Stable based distributions doesnt require much. Just offer some precompiled
drivers and backported applications while relying on Debian updates for the rest of the OS.

Own preliminary LMDE testing on older and newer computers reveals an usable OS, except those
known bugs. When matured it should be an viable replacement for many, if not most users.

Doctore
Last edited by Doctore on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

dear buddies,
Read the linux mint reviews at http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/09/ ... /#comments
watch the debian conference at
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/ ... UT_BoF.ogv
cheers.

:arrow:
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Hi Otto (kuruka), may be good to say that the video from debconf has 615 MB.
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

secipolla wrote:Hi Otto (kuruka), may be good to say that the video from debconf has 615 MB.
:D
hi,Sérgio.
Good point of view! It can be really heavy to download this video if the user has an old pc.But It worths to watch this conference if you are capable with your computer resources.
cheers.
:wink:
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

hi buddies,
view my gorgeous linux mint debian edition at http://img841.imageshack.us/i/mylinuxmintdebian01.png/
fyi I have already dist-upgrade sucessfully but outside the graphic mode with control+alt+f1 with no errors at all.
cheers.
:lol:
Last edited by kuruka on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcduarte2000

Post by mcduarte2000 »

I tested this new release yesterday but I ended to give up and return back to Isadora. :(

Positive aspects while testing:
- It seemed to me to be a stable installation than Isadora without some bugs that really irritate me on the Isadora version (ex: space on the icons on the bottom left, my laptop microphone doesn't work properly, the login screen sometimes doesn't appear);
- It was quite fast;
- Being a rolling version would be quite interesting.

But then come some negative aspects:
- I lost a lot of time trying to install my Broadcom wifi because the "Restricted Drivers Manager" was taken out of this version;
- Compiz wasn't working properly from what I guess was because the acceleration of my Intel graphics was not turned on (this was that made me give up of LMDE);
- The installation process is not so user friendly;
- There is no possibility to turn on encryption during the installation process;
- Compiz comes with less plugins than in the Isadora version;

In the end, seeing I was loosing so much time trying to make things work properly I just gave up. I love Linux Mint because it "just works", the LDME version, unfortunately, can't be classified as the same... :(
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I agree on the installer not being as user-friendly as the Ubuntu-derivatives. But I've been through an Arch-installation (whereupon you learn IN A HURRY how to break your system, occasionally even how to set it straight again), so I won't criticize it further than saying that it looks like beta-quality experimentation. Which I suppose it is. So...

I don't actually see that much difference between Mint 9 and MD. True, no PackageKit (I did kinda like using it in KDE...), no Jockey, no VegaStrike - nothing critical to my system or experience as such, as this widdle GMA 4500 is too weak to do much gaming anyway, has acceptable support through readily available drivers (if Mint 9 is any indication), I'm on a laptop and they aren't known for their gaming friendliness, etc.

Deal-breakers for me:
None

Stuff I would really have liked to see:
Ubuntu-like PPA-support. Granted, I haven't explored LMDE quite so thoroughly yet, but it looks like adding repositories is back to the bad old days, so to speak.
Vega Strike. Well, I'm an old Wing Commander-ite, see? I've seen this project begin, evolve... But then, this is only of importance on a machine that I can actually use for playing games. *Throws a BIG FAT HEAVY AND MUDDY boot at Intel's IGPs*
More partition-options in the installer. Sure, what we get is good enough to start from, and the installer was supposedly written from scratch, but I would like to see more control.
Better timed image-generation. After updating, I looked through the packages in Synaptic and came across a good half-dozen packages that had been superseded and were no longer used - such as [Iforgetwhich]db-8.4 -> 8.5. This looks fairly major to me, but I'm no expert. Maybe this will improve if this edition is given the go-ahead.

Pros:
Installer providing verbose output on which files are installed. :wink: I R funny like that.
Installer working parallel while asking for configuration-options. Saves time, and if it is possible, why NOT do it this way?

Now I'm going to burn the image on a DVD and see if it's any more glory than on VirtualBox.
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

:?:
dear linux mint forum,
I am using the linux mint debian but there isn't any video card included as It's the ubuntu versions with the restrict drivers. Thus, I ask you how do I install the most modern nvidia (the current GeForce 6200 A-LE) video card on the linux mint debian easily? Could you let me know a good tutorial ? I know there a lot of ways to install it but what's the the easier one like ubuntu distros?
cheers.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”