Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by clem »

Linux Mint Debian (201009) Today is very important for Linux Mint. It’s one day to remember in the history of our project as we’re about to maintain a new distribution, a rolling one, which promises to be faster, more responsive and on which we’re less reliant on upstream components. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527
kuruka

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by kuruka »

:D
Dear clem,
(From Linux Mint Brazil)
congrats to the the linux mint development! Great change. The linux mint is better and better! I have annouced this fantastic release at the linux mint Brazil. The users are very happy with this wonderfull idea. Now, with the end of the sidux is another great option to the "rolling release" fans.
cheers.
:lol:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

THANK YOU SO MUCH CLEM AND ALL THE DEVELOPERS!!!!

finally i can come back to LINUX MINT!!!! :)
Bry

Post by Bry »

For dumbos' like myself, there is a need for notes on what to fill in on installing. I was stumped in my techie ignorance with having to enter configuration. Whatever I put in, something to do with "root", "home" and other things, it just did not work and this twollop had to abandon it and re-install Mint 9 64 bit as previously used.

:oops:
yazdzik

Post by yazdzik »

Quick question:
Before spending hours, are the sta drivers, nvidia drivers as easy as point and click, or was that totally an Ubuntu thing?

Are all the proprietary things that were in normal mint there, to save us time? In other words, the advantage of a mint install is no time spent on apt-get dvdcss, wicd, sta, compiling nvidia or flgrx and so. Is this still true, in other words, is this a super easy sid install, or more of a debian install with some mint flavour?

Need to know today, if you can.

Peace,
martin
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

:lol:

The exchange basis by the Linux Mint's developer (clem) is a great strategy, because the ubuntu users were always calling the Linux Mint like "the ubuntu optimized, ubuntu clone and so on" and we all know that this is not true since the Linux Mint has many different tools than ubuntu.Besides, pure debian is a better basis without no doubt. I'm assure the linux mint devolepment walks a great step upwards today. Thumbs up for the linux mint development!
cheers.

:idea:
Last edited by kuruka on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rafe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rafe »

This is a superb idea and I commend you and your team most heartily!
charlie01

Post by charlie01 »

Im excited about this,Cant wait to give it a go.
I pretty confident that people will like the debian way,I recently swapped over when crunchbang changed from ubuntu based to debian.
I didnt find it all that difficult to do and find it quite similar in many ways,I love it.

Im downloading rite now,And i hope in the future for 64bit versions to put on my amd machine.

Thanks for all the hard work.
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

clem wrote:
Linux Mint Debian (201009) Today is very important for Linux Mint. It’s one day to remember in the history of our project as we’re about to maintain a new distribution, a rolling one, which promises to be faster, more responsive and on which we’re less reliant on upstream components. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527
Clem,
I have been waiting for the Linux Mint Debian release, since I first heard it mentioned. It was worth the wait. I no longer concern myself with MIS or IT issues. I have spent more than enough of my time working with servers. Being retired, I just concern myself with my desktop use. This release is the only Linux, Windows or Apple system that I have not changed immediately after installation. Everything that I use and need works. I use three desktops and have not found a single issue.In fact, I was about to add Google Earth and stopped.
This early release is so good I don’t want to change anything. It is quick, the page renderings are beautiful and it contains any program I think I want or need. (except Google Earth). I know how to install it but this is too good to change. All of this is included in the most user friendly operating system on the planet. This all in a rolling distribution. I was expecting a mine field, but I should have known better. You continue to exceed my expectations. I have used Linux for many years having used or tried perhaps at least 80% of them. Since Mint arrived, I have always had it installed somewhere. I have used every Mint release.
Your announcement stated “It’s rougher and in some aspects not as user-friendly as our other editions” I must have missed something. If not, I disagree with the statement. I think this is your best work. Thank you to all involved. You have hit all the marks. Enjoy it. I am.
Alex Taylor
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Outstanding, but I have to wait for the 64Bit release.

Rough estimate for a 64Bit Debian release?
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Just in case you decide to have a go with GE and didn't know about this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

secipolla wrote:Just in case you decide to have a go with GE and didn't know about this:

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
Hi,
Thanks. I will use it tomorrow.
Alex
UberTaco

Post by UberTaco »

Hey guys,

I moved (quite happily) to Mint now that you're not based on Ubuntu anymore -- I've moved away from ubuntu based on some disagreements with Shuttleworth's view of things.

One thing I wanted to give you guys a heads-up about: I can't seem to enable compiz. So far I've tracked this down to creating an Xorg.conf (Xorg -configure and copying the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf) with the necessary settings for AIGLX (had to edit the xorg.conf) and subsequently installing just about everything with libgl1-mesa- in front of it.

I'm awaiting the installation of the libgl1 packages to complete and will report back with my findings.

I'm using an Intel GMA965 GPU (in my Lenovo Thinkpad)

EDIT: this doesn't appear to have solved things. In fact, libgl1-mesa-swx11 is the software renderer, which Compiz doesn't like, and it removes libg1-mesa-glx. However, a few of the packages to update relate to xorg video drivers, so we'll see how this goes.

EDIT2: After installing, be sure to upgrade all xserver-xorg packages that want to upgrade, then reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mesa-glx. Then kill xserver (ctrl-alt-f1, "sudo service gdm* stop") and run:

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

edit the xorg.conf as seen here: http://wiki.compiz.org/Intel%20with%20AiGLX

and then restart gdm (or restart your computer entirely)

That's what worked for me, at least.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Got two machines switched already with no problems. Got about a dozen more to go for my clients who are all using Linux Mint 8 and 9. They are going to love the rolling release aspect where they can just keep on going without reinstalling a fresh copy every six months or year. I noticed a definite speed boost, and FINALLY I can run the latest version of FreeCol at full speed without bogging down when I get to 1600 A.D. Only two things I noticed that still need a bit of work. One is during install a little clearer explanation of disk setup, and the same for printing. Had to remember from earlier days to configure printer for Letter size instead of A4 which is the default setting. And, you will definitely have a new sponsor as soon as I can set everything up for it with my PayPal account. Looking forward to the 64 bit version, but I can happily enjoy what you have produced so far.
arinlares

Post by arinlares »

It's been a while since using Mint (moved to another, and Debian), but this release is amazing! Some small issues, but the overall experience makes them worth working through. It even boots faster than the rather slim Sid install that it replaced.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

UberTaco wrote:Hey guys,
EDIT2: After installing, be sure to upgrade all xserver-xorg packages that want to upgrade, then reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mesa-glx. Then kill xserver (ctrl-alt-f1, "sudo service gdm* stop") and run:

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

edit the xorg.conf as seen here: http://wiki.compiz.org/Intel%20with%20AiGLX ...

Worked for me without xorg.conf at all.
Just needed to set compiz as default window manager

gconftool-2 --set -t string /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager compiz
jesica

Post by jesica »

thanks Clem
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by capricornus »

I can't report a bug yet, everything works as should on a system with a Px2 cpu and NVIDIA gc, wired powerline internet, DualScreen[1440x900]. I live in the Flemish part of belgium, I downloaded the ISO from CologneNet, burned it slowly, and installed quite well. I still dislike GRUB2. CrossOver installed fine. Everything works. I think Swiftfox is better on Linux than Firefox, but that's the discussion of liking tit-or-tat. This is Sidux, but better, user-oriented, updatable. Thanks a lot and good luck to those that do find a bug.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Forgive me for being one of your more naive members, but is there a place where I can learn about the controversy and difficulty of what the Ubuntu distro has planned? I know that their forums have certainly taken an authoritarian turn for the worst in terms of moderation, despite having a good community there, but are the changes that seem to be driving off multiple downstream distros (such as yourself and OpenGEU), are they more philosophical or practical or both? I cant help but notice that you are not the first one to migrate away from Ubuntu this release.

Will you still have an Ubuntu based release?

I love everything you produce, as I am not really a computer geek but I do need the computer, and Mint is probably the best intro to Linux there is.

I probably cant offer much as far as informed criticism of the more esoteric issues, but maybe I can give it a test run and let you know how easy or difficult I find it as a relative novice compared to your Ubuntu based distro.
deleted

Post by deleted »

marcus0263 wrote:Outstanding, but I have to wait for the 64Bit release.

Rough estimate for a 64Bit Debian release?
You and me both ;) I have the apps to use it..
-Hinto

Return to “Releases & Announcements”