Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
The Alpha Gamer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Smiff2 wrote:5) small point, but no Mint9 theme included?
Just download it yourself, if i remember right it's just Shiki-Wise
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

rhY,

I know you are excited and amazed by Mint 10, but please watch your language. I edited out the offensive words.
Registered Linux User 483387
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

Installed it on my ancient test machine (Celeron 1.4, 512Mb RAM, onboard Intel graphics) New partitioner and installer threw me for a minute but soon got the hang of it. Interesting entering details while the system is installing :D

There was a problem with shutdown not completing but that resolved itself somehow.

First thing was to remove Mono-runtime and Thunderbird and install Evolution. Then install a bunch of GTK and icon themes/engines from the repo (No debates on Mono, please) Was impressed with the new look.

Japanese language support installed flawlessly and iBus seems to be working perfectly off the bat. In Mint 9 had to add the daemon manually to startup apps on my main machine (but funnily not on the test machine!)

There is a problem of Gwaei not shutting down on Mint 9 when hitting the Close button, haven't checked with 10 yet. But that's another problem and not for this thread.

Basically, can't wait to upgrade my main machine :mrgreen:
vmeiste
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vmeiste »

Great job Clem and the gang! Really like the new theme and icons. Been using LM10RC x64 on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop since yesterday without any problems. Ubuntu 10.10 on this same laptop was having some flaky things going on with the ATI video and the Broadcom wireless, but no problems with them in LM10RC so far. Keep up the good work guys! And thanks.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

In an earlier post I referred to the lack of the "Install in the largest contiguous free space" option and Aging Technogeek was kind enough to respond with "Use the manual partitioning option. You can put your partitions where ever you want.".

Unfortunately I just tried again to install Mint 10 onto the spare 129.6 empty space on my hard drive without any success. The installer still wants to mess with my existing Mint 9 installation which of course is the very last thing I want. I have tried just about every permutation known to medical science without any luck. At the end of the day I can always bite the bullet and install Mint 10 onto another hard drive and copy across the files I need but none the less, there SHOULD be an easy way where one could perhaps just click on the empty space shown on the graphic and have the program install into the designated area.

Maybe something like this could be considered at sometime in the future.

The reason I want to do this is for the convenience of just grafting across any files I need to quickly reconfigure the new installation with the same settings as the old program e.g. Firefox with all the favourites, passwords etc and Thunderbird replete with all the addresses, saved emails and other settings etc. At the moment there does not seem to be an easy non convoluted way of doing this.

Using a USB memory stick or external hard drive to copy across these files is the most time consuming process known to man and is to be avoided at all costs.

Am I the only person with this problem?

Any thoughts or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Grizwald.

EDIT................

Ah Ha!! and then there was Plan "B".

Seems that when one replaces the empty space with an empty partition, it is then possible to install Mint 10rc into this empty partition! Traps for [not so young] players.... Just need to answer a few questions about said partition and things then work as expected.

It would still be nice to be able to 'click' on the graphic where one wishes to install the program though.

G.
Last edited by grizwald on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

OK so I've downloaded the Mint 10 and have it in winRAR now what do I do ?after I extract to run it as an iso? thank you in advance.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I'm a bit confused about it being in Winrar but ignoring that, if you can convert the file into the .iso format, then burn it to a CD and reboot the computer with the CD in the drive. You can 'play with Mint 10 rc to your hearts content without installing anything so you can get the feel of things.

Later you can use the "install" option when you are ready. I do recommend you use a different hard drive to the one you are now using so you won't inadvertently cause any problems. At least until you get the hang of things......

Have fun,

Grizwald.
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

easiest way to try mint using windows and a memstick - download uni installer from pendrivelinux.com, select "other iso". works with any release.

anyone tried installing elementary on mint10?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/elem ... new-icons/

They seem to have (again no offence) a better idea on the icons and usability side of things, and i'd appreciate this on top of mint's good admin tools and ubuntu fixes.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Looks like I'm the unlucky one for this release !

Couldn't run the livecd, my screen goes blank ("no signal", black in fact) during the boot process so I can't test it.
LM9 is currently installed on the same system so it is something in the new release. Also Ubuntu 10.10 had no problem. nVidia 9300 inside.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

I can only echo the comments above on the inherent quality of the Mint Julia RC. I've already loaded it on three of my five home computers. Well done.

The only minor glitch I have experienced, which will no doubt be addressed before the final release is issued, is that Startup Disk Creator on Mint 10 does not generate a bootable USB stick from either the 32-bit or 64-bit 10RC iso images (nor does Unetbootin). The equivalent package on Mint 9 works just fine, however, thus more or less reversing the problems experienced by many users during the Ubuntu Maverick test cycle.

I rather like the option to upgrade to the DVD version of Mint, which appears during the installation process. For most relatively inexperienced users, this would be a good option to select (since it saves them from having to mess around with subsequent individual package downloads to achieve what many would view as core functionality). There could well be a case for stating as much explicitly in the release notes. Of course, I imagine that many people will ultimately choose to download the DVD version anyway.

BTW, is the DVD version going to include F-Spot, as implied by the installation slides, or Shotwell? Both packages do a decent job, but there seems to be a bit more developmental momentum behind Shotwell at the moment.
strider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by strider »

Install was flawless and thankfully idiot proof. Didn't really like the new look at first but I'm slowly getting used to it and actually starting to like it, and the only thing I've changed is the menu icon for the LM9 menu icon. Graphics card and the USB wireless dongle worked perfectly after the drivers were installed. (Nvidia geforce 6100 and Belkin F7D1101 v1 respectively.) Mobile broadband set-up was a breeze, I'm just missing the software I had in Windoze that allows me to sms. No biggie though.

All in all, it's just fantastic. I'm still pinching myself at the fact that I didn't have to shell out a few hundred quid for such a beautiful and solid OS.. I will donate in due course though.
grey1960envoy wrote:OK so I've downloaded the Mint 10 and have it in winRAR now what do I do ?after I extract to run it as an iso? thank you in advance.
winRAR has probably just grabbed association for it. It should still burn as an ISO no problems..

A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
krab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krab »

how quickly upgrade from mint linux 9 to 10 RC? without having to reinstall it from the iso?
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

GoustiFruit wrote:Looks like I'm the unlucky one for this release !

Couldn't run the livecd, my screen goes blank ("no signal", black in fact) during the boot process so I can't test it.
LM9 is currently installed on the same system so it is something in the new release. Also Ubuntu 10.10 had no problem. nVidia 9300 inside.
I succeeded booting on it by removing the splash and quiet parameters from the boot line command and replacing with nomodeset.
alligoodw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alligoodw »

alligoodw wrote:
alligoodw wrote:I did a clean install on a Asus Aspire 7741Z-5731 laptop. I couldn't get past the screen where one would put the password. I would type my password and the first three characters would appear and then nothing . . . no more characters appeared in the password area. From there, the window just froze. I didn't have any difficulties with LM9.
I reinstalled Linux Mint 10 a second time. This time I turned off the mouse pad on my laptop and the installation went without a hitch. I believe when I entered the original password during the first installation attempt, the mouse pad was on and I inadvertently added additional characters that should not have been there. At any rate, things are going well and I'm very pleased with this edition.
Using Linux Mint 10 after successful installation and noticed that the sound card wasn't identified - hence, no sound. It looks like I'm going to need some help in getting that sound card in my Asus Aspire 7741Z-5731 laptop identified and installed. On another note, this is the fastest Linux Mint distribution I've ever used. At one point, it leaped off my laptop screen and ran straight out the front door. This is how fast Linux Mint 10 runs on my laptop.
Kainous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kainous »

I've described my installation issues in this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57888

Screen just shows black and white blocks on boot.
Tried compatibility mode then typing startx

Got a fatal error: No screen found.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Wonderful release, installed it in VMware, then on a Zotac mini desktop with dual core Atom, Ion 2 64bit. Then my Netbook a HP Mini 311 single core Atom w/ Ion 32bit also and with both absolutely zero problems!!!!!! This has to be the easiest, smartest not to mention sexiest Mint yet. Tested with my work VPN and so far everything is silky smooth and WebEx also works with no problems at all.

Well 'bout to make the leap to install on my Workstation at work and also my main rig at home, both 64 bit. Seriously this is the absolutely the smoothest yet. I tested Ubuntu 10.10 on my Netbook and on that Zotac mini with numerous issues from video cards to Gnome core dumping. I was going to wait a bit for the general release for my critical rigs but damn! She's running so smooth I'm pulling the trigger!

Clem, I love it and each release impresses the hell out of me!
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

i'm curious about all the people who says Mint works properly for them when Ubuntu doesn't.
My experience on 3 different PCs is that Ubuntu 10.10 is very solid where 10.04 AND Mint9 had issues (for example, Radeon AGP video card).
Most of these are kernel issues, and since Mint uses the Ubuntu kernel (afaik?) there 'shouldn't' be a difference here.

as for performance improvement, i wonder how much of that is simply due to a clean install, and/or kernel and upstream optimisations again.

is there a complete list of the changes Mint makes to Ubuntu anywhere? I think it's important we know exactly what we're running, after all isn't that one of the great points of open source?

(on the flip side, every Ubuntu release seems to have a major area of broken hardware support, what's the common factor this time? i'm not seeing the problems yet myself, but this is probably a good place to start https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat ... n%20Issues - some may be fixed by Mint10, clarification needed!)
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Smiff2 wrote:i'm curious about all the people who says Mint works properly for them when Ubuntu doesn't.
My experience on 3 different PCs is that Ubuntu 10.10 is very solid where 10.04 AND Mint9 had issues (for example, Radeon AGP video card).
Most of these are kernel issues, and since Mint uses the Ubuntu kernel (afaik?) there 'shouldn't' be a difference here.

as for performance improvement, i wonder how much of that is simply due to a clean install, and/or kernel and upstream optimisations again.

is there a complete list of the changes Mint makes to Ubuntu anywhere? I think it's important we know exactly what we're running, after all isn't that one of the great points of open source?

(on the flip side, every Ubuntu release seems to have a major area of broken hardware support, what's the common factor this time? i'm not seeing the problems yet myself, but this is probably a good place to start https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat ... n%20Issues - some may be fixed by Mint10, clarification needed!)
While I can't speak for Clem or the team and only from personal experiences with both. I find that with Mint you get a debugged and polished Ubuntu, that's just my observations.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

agreed, and i don't like the direction ubuntu is taking with it's cloud/one/store either. a proper list of changes would help everyone decide what exactly to use, even if it's parts of mint and parts of other projects like elementary and sabayon.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Smiff2 wrote:agreed, and i don't like the direction ubuntu is taking with it's cloud/one/store either. a proper list of changes would help everyone decide what exactly to use, even if it's parts of mint and parts of other projects like elementary and sabayon.
Yeah the "Cloud" and "Store" focus blows, but I honestly have never liked Ubuntu, I installed Mint 2 Barbara on my Dad's PC years back and really enjoyed it. That's when I stared messing about with it and it pulled me away from my beloved Gentoo. I still run Gentoo on my servers, but under Clem's guidance and vision Mint seriously is the most polished Desktop OS I've had the joy of running.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Return to “Releases & Announcements”