Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by emgy »

I have just installed Mint 10, and found that there is no Java plugin in Firefox .
I can't find any way to install it.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

emgy wrote:I have just installed Mint 10, and found that there is no Java plugin in Firefox .
The initial splash screen of Mint gives you the option to install the "DVD" version of Mint, that will install it for you. Or you can just open the package manager and search for sun java and install.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

marcus0263 wrote:
emgy wrote:I have just installed Mint 10, and found that there is no Java plugin in Firefox .
The initial splash screen of Mint gives you the option to install the "DVD" version of Mint, that will install it for you. Or you can just open the package manager and search for sun java and install.
I don't seem to have the initial splash screen. How do I enable it?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

emgy wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:

Code: Select all

mintwelcome
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

mintwelcome
Welcome screen and Java all working now.
Many thanks!
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

emgy wrote:I don't seem to have the initial splash screen. How do I enable it?

mintwelcome
Welcome screen and Java all working now.
Many thanks!
Cheers
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I have a problem with User & Groups setting.
I am multi-booting with LM Isadora Gnome , and LM 10 Gnome.

LM 10 , I have an extra data partition mounted on /media/sda10 . I set permissions Group=plugdev , and by default the UserName was a member of the group ' plugdev ' .
I use the same method on LM Isadora with no problem.
But with LM 10 , sometimes when I re-start , it gives an error , cannot mount /dev/sda10.
Yet the file /etc/group shows the setting normal.
After loading the system , I can mount the data partition by CLI .
It seems that on start up it is sometimes not reading the /etc/group settings.
Never had this problem with LM Isadora.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Has the 'Take forever Disk Check on Boot' feature been fixed ?
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Finally got a disk to work.

Seems ok but i'm very disappointed with the new MintMenu, when you said it was customisable, i thought you meant it actualy was customisable, instead we can just change the colour? =/
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

The Alpha Gamer wrote:Finally got a disk to work.

Seems ok but i'm very disappointed with the new MintMenu, when you said it was customisable, i thought you meant it actualy was customisable, instead we can just change the colour? =/

Aaah it is, you can edit things like System, Places, Favorites, Applications, edit Icon's, scrollbar, etc.

Actually it's rather nice for one of my major grips with Gnome is for how many years it's been out editing basics like menus you have to hack code ....... Clem and the Mint team have come up with a nice menu and it's continually improving.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Downloaded ISO and burnt to CD. I'll install it tomorrow when I get out of class. :D
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Anyone run into this?

I'm consistently loosing theme settings. Even though it's set for Mint-X-Metal I loose the theme settings and all my windows, icons, etc. are all default Gnome. I've changed themes, nothing takes then "pop" it goes into Mint-X-Metal for a while then back again to the gnome low res settings.

Not sure what is happening here.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Found the issue, it's an upstream bug that they appear to be ignoring and don't have any intention of fixing :evil: .....

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/649809

But here's the work around, it's a minor pain but it appears to work

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=20
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

marcus0263 wrote:
The Alpha Gamer wrote:Finally got a disk to work.

Aaah it is, you can edit things like System, Places, Favorites, Applications, edit Icon's, scrollbar, etc.

Actually it's rather nice for one of my major grips with Gnome is for how many years it's been out editing basics like menus you have to hack code ....... Clem and the Mint team have come up with a nice menu and it's continually improving.
I was hoping to theme it though, give it a custom background, yet the only option seems to be to change it's colour
gambakoker

Post by gambakoker »

Is it possible to export the old theme from mint 8 or mint 9 and import it in mint 10? I like the mint 10 looks but the mint 8/9 are a bit better imo.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

is there any way to test the nvidia drivers (or proprietary drivers in genera) from a liveCD/USB session? i get told to restart, but of course, there is no persistence. restarting X causes failure (module nvidia not found > no screens found).
would really like to check the proprietary drivers work before installing.

on a positive note, flash fullscreen performance was the best i've seen (nouvuo driver however its spelt) - may be an upstream improvement, can't compare right now!
Last edited by Smiff2 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

currently running Mint 10 RC 32bit in VM and so far only experienced one thing that seems to be a bit odd: when using Audacious 2.4 with the winamp-like front-end and trying to move it, it's responsiveness is very slow (mouse doesn't exactly grab it when trying to move). GTK front-end, however, works without any problems.
Anyone having a similar issue or may this only be VM related since obviously not all drivers are installed yet?

other than that, beautiful release! looking forward to the final build. And from now on sticking to mint menu as opposed to GnoMenu ;)

Cheers
CH
strider

Post by strider »

I've had to switch back to Isadora for the time being as my mobile internet keeps dropping out at least every ten minutes without fail with Julia. Really hope this gets sorted with the full release.
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 10 RC. Linux Mint 10 New features at a glance: Welcome screen Install codecs and upgrade to the DVD edition from the welcome screen Menu Highlights newly installed applications Finds and installs software from the repositories Search engines GTK bookmarks support GTK themes support Software manager Application icons Better categorization Update manager Ignore updates Download size Upload manager UI, speed, [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1554
What could possibly be better then Linux Mint 10 RC? Perhaps Linux Mint 10 RC with a working Google Earth. I receive the development notes and news from Ubuntu, Fedora and PC-BSD so I am aware of the issues with Google Earth. Mint is approaching the point in ALL areas that any intelligent debate about “What is the best Linux distro” is a waste of time and energy. Mint is not only the best Linux distro, it is the best computer operating system. This release, the developers, forums, available desktops and features are beyond all comparisons. In my mind the only completion in all areas is PCLinuxOS. I use both because of the ease of use, friendly attitudes and features. Many thanks to the Mint team.

:) Edit November 2nd. Thank you team. Now with Goggle Earth working, nothing is better than Linux Mint.
Alex
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BopNiblets

Post by BopNiblets »

When you click on the taskbar clock for the calendar, it appears halfway up the screen instead of down above the clock, anyone else have that?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”