Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 10 RC. Linux Mint 10 New features at a glance: Welcome screen Install codecs and upgrade to the DVD edition from the welcome screen Menu Highlights newly installed applications Finds and installs software from the repositories Search engines GTK bookmarks support GTK themes support Software manager Application icons Better categorization Update manager Ignore updates Download size Upload manager UI, speed, [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1554
PiEp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by PiEp »

Congratulations on the RC release. Looks really smooth! I'm not the adventurous type anymore, so I think I will wait for the final, but I am sure it will be fabulous again.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

satisfied with mint 9, i thought i'd stick with it 'till all its juice ran out - but the new 'GTK themes support' and 'Update manager Ignore updates' sound too good !! :D Congratulations and thanks to the entire team for all the hard work !
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

I'm running on Linux Mint 10rc as I type. I'm running it in VirtualBox and other than the usual problems with Compiz and VB it's working great so far. I like the look of it also. I may not even change it.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just installed and configured Mint 10 RC1. First thoughts.

1. Like the revised installer very much. Have not downloaded Meerkat so I must ask - is this an Ubuntu mod or a Mint mod?

2. Not wild about the steel-gray default desktop. A little too industrial feeling. Its no biggie, easy to change - and I have over a hundred desktop backgrounds on file.

3. Haven't done any time testing, but Mint 10 seems faster than Mint 9. Not by a lot, but it is noticeable, both on boot and running. Apps open faster, Swiftfox runs faster, etc.

4. Don't like the menu button. Did a quick edit and got the Mint logo back. I will see if it is persistent before detailing the fix here.

EDIT

5. Almost forgot, I like the way the installer picked up on the fact that this system has over 4 GB of ram and installed the pae kernel mod automatically.
Last edited by Aging Technogeek on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add information
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Aging Technogeek: The installer modifications come from Ubuntu.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Are the hardware drivers handled the same as Mint 9 in the install?
masoko

Post by masoko »

This is great! but I can't download the RC Iso! web page doesn't load :( I hope this problem is solved by the end of the day, I really want to try it!
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

not sure if this would help but heres a magnet link for the 32-bit edition (currently seeding)

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:OCW7F7QAJZVETX3OSMRDRNR7P4QVCFI7&dn=linuxmint-10-gnome-rc-i386.iso&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce
schpunty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by schpunty »

:D
Excellent! I'm running the live cd now, but when the final comes out, it will be resident on my system.
I love the theme, colors, icons.............
Don't change one thing!
Great job as usual!
mince'n'tatties

Post by mince'n'tatties »

Great job Clem and the team, another fantastic release. I've been running it all day and haven't come across any problems so far ( I've been too busy playing minecraft...) :D

Good work fellas :wink:
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

I tried the RC live CD (on a usb flash drive) and it looks very slick and faster then ever. I'm surprised that the RC is ready so soon - had the impression that it will take another week. I'm still with 8 on my main computer (9 on the netbook), and was making backups yesterday to make room for 9. Now I might just skip ahead to 10 :D
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Way to gi guys, I'm downloading now. I know what I wll be doing this evening...
davy51

Post by davy51 »

Im running it here
It seems faster than 9 most programs do appear faster for me
Memory and cpu may be just a little less than 9

Seems to work and thats whats important
Last edited by davy51 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

What happened to the "Install in the largest contiguous free space" option?

I have W7 + 130GB free space + Mint 9 + swap partitions on my HD drive - in that order. I intended to install Mint 10 in the free space and graft what I wanted across from Mint 9. Went to install Mint 10 yesterday and it wanted to ponce with the Mint 9 partition which bothered me so much [didn't really understand what it was telling me] so I didn't do it.

Of course I installed Mint 10 on a swapped HD but that isn't really the same, and that's about as much as I have had time to do so far. One can have a birthday copying stuff across from another drive using an USB port. Obviously I haven't been able to 'play' with it in earnest yet so have no comments [but I'll bet it is excellent].

Like the I O pattern, very apt.

Griz.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

grizwald,

Use the manual partitioning option. You can put your partitions where ever you want.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Installed Mint 10 amd64 RC this morning--nice! :D

No problems whatsoever, absolutely none--much impressed. Installed the codecs via the Welcome screen and then the DVD packages (immediately removed F-Spot right after but that's a personal preference). Copied over my settings that I backed up from Mint 9 32 bit (old machine) and I was ready to go. So far it's been completely stable and very, very fast. And an excellent job of taking that rather dumbed down Ubuntu 10.10 (IMO) and Mint-a-fying it.

It came at the right time as I recently (and finally) updated from a 7 year old PC to modern quad core and Mint 9 x86 with the PAE kernel and Mint 9 amd64 were having all sorts of audio problems and various quirks with the new machine. It was quite disheartening. Then I checked DistroWatch and saw that "Julia" was out and immediately downloaded and installed the amd64 version. No more problems.

This has to be Mint's best effort so far.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
pongo

Post by pongo »

Just installed LM-10 in my test area and symlinked all my data from my active LM-9 identity. Mint is sooo boring! Everything works right out of the box and the defailts are so sensible that I don't really need to do anything but move the panel to the top (where $DEITY intended it to be) and make desktop icons for the stuff I use every session. The nVidia drivers installed perfectly and compiz started working automatically. Boring.

I really don't understand why this distro hasn't taken over the world. It's so easy, so sensible in the way it does things and so friendly to those who don't care to know all the dirty details and it looks great. Time to make another (unfortunately small) contribution.
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Not a fan of the brushed metal look but the theme doesn't look too bad, I can't wait to upgrade for the skinable mintmenu alone!

Any idea of an estimated release date?
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Great job everyone!
It feels smooth and the look is OK. I would like to see an extra set of themes installed by default, though. I believe that a variation of Meerkat would be nice.
Also, the new set of icons in the Menu is awesome.
All in all, it's the constant quality of a distro that has spoilt its users and followers (i.e. us) by offering nothing but the slickest and most efficient in terms of operating systems. Many thanks, guys. :wink:
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630

Return to “Releases & Announcements”