Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by M_Mynaardt »

I have had no end of trouble trying (unsuccessfully) to install LM 10 today. I've spent the whole day trying to install it. And I do mean the entire day!

It wouldn't be so bad if it works, but that's the problem! It does not work properly! :evil:

I have a dual boot computer; Ubuntu and Linux Mint (one for my every day stuff and the other for my academic things). My first attempt to install LM10 didn't work; nothing happened. Second time, something happened alright! My computer would not boot from the hard drive at all. So I had to install LM 10 as the ONLY OS. And then it still doesn't work properly!

Amongst annoying little things; I cannot add launchers to the panel unless I copy them from the desktop. And even then, they're gone the next time I run LM10.

And quite annoying; the trash can will not empty out! I cannot delete anything permanently from the trash can, nor can I move anything out of it.

I don't know why LM 10 is being so, well, bloody useless on my desktop! I had no problems at all with LM 9. That one worked like a top. I can't understand why LM 10 took up my entire day to install, and still won't work properly. Oh well. I'll just have to reinstall LM9 and Ubuntu, from scratch, to get things set right again.

It's a shame, really. Most of it seemed okay, but then when things like the trash can and other little things like that wouldn't work at all, I knew there was something amiss here. I don't know if it's just the age of my desktop or not. Hope not!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Wow, that's really odd. I've had no such trouble with LM10. Sounds like you had some kind of weird permission issue.
Nexus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nexus »

Installed and tweaked to my liking and I must say this looks ROCK SOLID, great release, really digging the new features like being able to install packages from the menu search. Great re-invention of the of the theme and it seems faster and more responsive. As always everything just "Works" out of the box.
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

Does anyone see anything wrong with the nvidia packages that installed with the fresh install and activation of drivers?

nvidia current
nvidia settings
nvidia common
nvidia modaliases for 173, 96, and current
xserver-xorg-video nouveau
xserver-xorg-video nv
libvdpau1
libvdpau -dev

My video freezes and the audio is ahead of the video as a result. Sometimes it freezes up and doesn't start back....just jerky. I am begging for help. Lol

Robin
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Lolo Uila wrote:Wow, that's really odd. I've had no such trouble with LM10. Sounds like you had some kind of weird permission issue.
Okay, I figured out what the problem was. It was not LM10 as such. What it was was the backup tool when I restored either my files, my software or both. I put LM9 back on my computer, restored things with the backup tool, and LM9 was also acting weird! It too was not allowing me to permanently delete files, amongst other things.

So I figured out there's something in restoring files and such through the backup tool that was causing me all those headaches.

Oh well. Live and learn, eh?
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
control715
Level 1
Level 1

Post by control715 »

no wifi suport
ALFA AWUS036H Wireless G/B LAN USB WiFi Network Adapter
zainka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zainka »

Switched from Xubuntu 10.04 to Mint RC10 a few days ago, then installed xfce4 from repositories. It works very well and I DO see a performance upgrade from Xubuntu. I am very pleased and I think I will stick to Mint for a while.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Hey, my volume control applet went awol from the panel, and I can't figure out how to get it back. I tried right-clicking and add to panel, but there is no volume control applet.

:?

Anyone know how to get the volume control back on the panel?
morat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morat »

Works fine and i like the new desktop + Menu tweaks very much. I have also been having fun trying theme/mint tools out in gnome 3 and unity, :idea: the future looks exciting and fun !
deleted

Post by deleted »

I'm having problems with java-6 and compiz. I have to turn gnome compositing off in order to see some of my swing apps. I also can only install openjdk instead of sun-java6-jdk.

Code: Select all

sun-java6-jdk:
  Depends: sun-java6-bin (>=6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10) but 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 is to be installed
Not sure if it's (the compiz) a java issue or nvidia
-Hinto
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Lolo Uila wrote:Hey, my volume control applet went awol from the panel, and I can't figure out how to get it back. I tried right-clicking and add to panel, but there is no volume control applet.

:?

Anyone know how to get the volume control back on the panel?
You'd think it would be obvious but this happens to have been made more obscure than it already was (not Mint's doing). Anyway, what your looking for when you right-click on the panel and select "Add to Panel" is the "Indicator Applet". It contains the volume control. Just so you know, the tray items; Update manager shield, network connection (the little displays) and the volume control icon is made up by the "Notification Area" applet and the "Indicator Applet" in that order.

HTH
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

hinto wrote:I'm having problems with java-6 and compiz. I have to turn gnome compositing off in order to see some of my swing apps. I also can only install openjdk instead of sun-java6-jdk.

Code: Select all

sun-java6-jdk:
  Depends: sun-java6-bin (>=6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10) but 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 is to be installed
Not sure if it's (the compiz) a java issue or nvidia
-Hinto
From what I understand, "6.20dlj-1ubuntu3" is "sun-java6-bin", not openjdk. It's the Debian Java Maintainers version (alpha-numeric) version number for "sun-java6-bin" which is now used by the Ubuntu Team for Maverick and beyond. Sun Java now has it's own PPA btw:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sun-java6-pac ... 10-04.html

Just go ahead and install and you should be fine.

As far as your Compiz problem, it sounds like you're running Gnome compositing and Compiz at the same time which would probably cause random conflicts and glitches. I believe you can run either Gnome compositing or Compiz but not both at the same time. Java6 should not be causing a conflict at all. Neither should the Nvidia driver under normal circumstances.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
deleted

Post by deleted »

Will do...
But to clarify my problem was that I could not install java6-jdk, but I could install default-jdk, which was really openjdk.
I'll install from the ppa and see if I can get compiz + swing again. Thanks.
-Hinto
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

kmb42vt wrote:You'd think it would be obvious but this happens to have been made more obscure than it already was (not Mint's doing). Anyway, what your looking for when you right-click on the panel and select "Add to Panel" is the "Indicator Applet"...
Wow, that's a useless piece of bloat-ware if ever there was one. What's the point of that? There already is a notification area, and now we have an "indication" area as well? Seems redundant. It looks like Bluetooth goes there as well. And Rhythmbox also seems to be tied to that now too (and is hidden as a result). That is so counterintuitive.

Oh well... as you said, not Mint's fault.

Thanks!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

hinto wrote:Will do...
But to clarify my problem was that I could not install java6-jdk, but I could install default-jdk, which was really openjdk.
I'll install from the ppa and see if I can get compiz + swing again. Thanks.
-Hinto
Sorry, didn't quite understand the problem. Something is not right here or hasn't been properly updated so Sun-java6-jdk recognizes the new version of sun-java6-bin in Maverick. Using the PPA may not work then as it only provides updates to the existing su-java6-* packages. Sounds like a bug needs to be filed.

I have links to the i386 and amd64 (sun-java6-*) .deb packages at Launchpad that you could install manually. I'm not sure if Gdebi will pull all the dependencies or if the dependencies are included in the packages themselves. I do know that you'll probably have to install the latest sun-java6-bin version first before you can install the jdk. I'm only guessing here since I haven't done the installation myself. I also noticed that the latest amd64 build of sun-java6-jre isn't there yet but it may not be required.

i386: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/su ... ld/2009138

amd64: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/su ... ld/2009137
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Lolo Uila wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:You'd think it would be obvious but this happens to have been made more obscure than it already was (not Mint's doing). Anyway, what your looking for when you right-click on the panel and select "Add to Panel" is the "Indicator Applet"...
Wow, that's a useless piece of bloat-ware if ever there was one. What's the point of that? There already is a notification area, and now we have an "indication" area as well? Seems redundant. It looks like Bluetooth goes there as well. And Rhythmbox also seems to be tied to that now too (and is hidden as a result). That is so counterintuitive.

Thanks!
You're welcome. If I remember correctly (which I may not as the old brain cells are exactly that--old) the Ubuntu team/Canonical made the decision to separate the normal tray icons between those that were always there normally and those that only appeared when something needed to be done/something was actually happening (like the "key" icon when "root" privileges had been invoked such as unlocking "Users and Groups"). Fine idea, bad implementation. But it's the rare developer that can actually see things from the user's point of view as well.

That's why I like Mint. :mrgreen:
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

Installed LM 10 RC1 (64 bit) on a ASUS N61JQ laptop and for the most part it was trouble free. Only had 2 minor issues I wanted to report.

1. After connecting to my wifi home network and rebooting it did not connect again automaticly. - This was fixed by editing the connection and checking the Auto Connect check box.

2. The icon appeared int he try saying that there were New Hardware drivers found but when you clicked on the icon nothing happened - Went to Menu/Preferences/Add Hardware Drivers and launched it from there.

The new theme, I like the greyish black background was never a big fan of the green one but that is easy enough to change, also I am not sure about the brushed metal appearence either, I like parts of it and other parts I don't care for. I think the one thing that gets me the most is that all Windows have the same color top border so you can see which is the active Window. The other is the border seems a little small and it's hard to grab a Window to resize it, (using a touchpad). I know this is mainly personal taste but thought I would mention it.

Overall Clem and the team did a great job again bringing us a top notch version, thanks
LMDE ROCKS!!!
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

kmb42vt wrote:
Lolo Uila wrote:

Thanks!
You're welcome. If I remember correctly (which I may not as the old brain cells are exactly that--old) the Ubuntu team/Canonical made the decision to separate the normal tray icons between those that were always there normally and those that only appeared when something needed to be done/something was actually happening (like the "key" icon when "root" privileges had been invoked such as unlocking "Users and Groups"). Fine idea, bad implementation. But it's the rare developer that can actually see things from the user's point of view as well.

That's why I like Mint. :mrgreen:
In fact I believe this is not even a change made by Ubuntu, but an upstream change from Gnome, so there is little that can be done about it. I also think that everything is eventually expected to go into the "Indicator Applet", and the "Notification Area" will become totally redundant.

Progress? I wonder.
Xwindowsuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xwindowsuser »

AWSOME! thank you mint team! no bugs so far and no crashes!! :D
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Is there a release date for the stable edition yet?
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Return to “Releases & Announcements”