Page 9 of 12

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm
by Andrew33
I too just installed LM 10 RC, on a 40GB usb HDD and am having trouble with resizing any window and clicking on the scroll button with my mouse and dragging it up or down....they simply don't work....you can't resize anything. Is there or will there be a fix for this....thanks for all the great work....cheers

Andrew

Re: GNOME font size issue in RC?

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:52 pm
by julius malchovitch
rps63ifid wrote:
rps63ifid wrote:I just pulled down and installed the RC on my netbook. I've run various releases of Linux Mint or Ubuntu (most recently 10.10) on this box since I bought it a couple of years ago and I haven't encountered this problem on this system or any other. One of the first things I typically do is select fairly small font sizes on the GNOME Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page. I usually go with Sans 7 for the application, document, desktop, and window title fonts (with the window title font also being bolded). On a small screen like this, I want the OS UI as small as possible.

I've done that on this system, as well, but GNOME seems to be ignoring the application font size setting even after restarting the system. The setting is saved (I can see it is retained on the Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page) but the font is still the original size. All of the other font settings there seem to be being honored.

Edit: I can tell it is honoring part of that application font setting, as I can change it over to use the Ubuntu font at 7pt size and the font itself changes, but not the size. And further confusing this, Firefox /does/ seem to be honoring the font size setting, but nothing else is.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Can someone try something similar on another system and see if you see the same thing?

--
/ron
<><
I've determined this is something -- perhaps intentional? -- with the new Mint-X and Mint-X-Metal themes. They seem to be ignoring the application font size or limiting it somehow, which really doesn't work for me on this particular system. I changed to a theme I often use ("eco" from the bisigi project) and the application font is as specified in my preferences.

Odd...

--
/ron
<><
I can confirm this issue, commenting out line 52 (font_name = "9") in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/gtkrc makes Mint-X-Metal honor the font size specified in gnome settings.

Hope this helps,
Luca

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 am
by Anutesyn
This is my first version of Mint, but it is running perfectly! There's a lot of things in here that really makes me smile!

Haven't come across anything weird so far. It's the perfect 10! ;)

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:48 am
by archimondech
what the meaning of RC? im newbiee..

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 am
by Susu
archimondech wrote:what the meaning of RC? im newbiee..
Release Candidate

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am
by alligoodw
Running Linux Mint 10 RC1 on a Acer Aspire laptop. I have had some problems.

After using Linux Mint 10 since it's release, I lost my wired connection this morning; I'm not sure why. I have no sound with the current Linux kernel - no sound card is found. Should I use the earlier kernel, the speakers located in the laptop will work; however, the external speakers (my default) will not.

This is a great edition but it needs work.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 pm
by ajgreeny
alligoodw wrote:Running Linux Mint 10 RC1 on a Acer Aspire laptop. I have had some problems.

After using Linux Mint 10 since it's release, I lost my wired connection this morning; I'm not sure why. I have no sound with the current Linux kernel - no sound card is found. Should I use the earlier kernel, the speakers located in the laptop will work; however, the external speakers (my default) will not.

This is a great edition but it needs work.
I think you must have been very unlucky, particularly with the wired web connection; that seems most unusual!

However, you must have changed the update defaults if you have an updated kernel, as the normal system will not make that change, nor give you a new kernel, unless you set up the Mint-update to enable updates in section 4 and 5, which are actually noted as potentially unsafe.

If you can not get the new kernel to work properly, just boot to the older one from grub and then uninstall the newer one if you wish to, then reset the update defaults to sections 1 -3 only and you will not be bothered again.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:40 pm
by alligoodw
ajgreeny wrote:
alligoodw wrote:Running Linux Mint 10 RC1 on a Acer Aspire laptop. I have had some problems.

After using Linux Mint 10 since it's release, I lost my wired connection this morning; I'm not sure why. I have no sound with the current Linux kernel - no sound card is found. Should I use the earlier kernel, the speakers located in the laptop will work; however, the external speakers (my default) will not.

This is a great edition but it needs work.
I think you must have been very unlucky, particularly with the wired web connection; that seems most unusual!

However, you must have changed the update defaults if you have an updated kernel, as the normal system will not make that change, nor give you a new kernel, unless you set up the Mint-update to enable updates in section 4 and 5, which are actually noted as potentially unsafe.

If you can not get the new kernel to work properly, just boot to the older one from grub and then uninstall the newer one if you wish to, then reset the update defaults to sections 1 -3 only and you will not be bothered again.
Actually, I re-installed Linux Mint 10 RC1 yesterday. Before the installation, I downloaded an earlier kernel to see if I used it, if it would provide sound for my laptop - it did, but only for the internal speakers (laptop). Before the new install, yesterday, I had never had a problem with my Internet connection, but I did have problems with the sound. After this current installation, I've experienced a problem with the Internet connection and still no sound.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 pm
by Susu
To be honest, there are a lot of problems with Ubuntu's default kernel. You can read it all over ubuntuforums.org and the net. For me resume from suspend doesn't work with samsung-tools (which I need on my netbook), so I have to use an older maverick kernel (2.6.34*). Others have problems with wifi or even ethernet.Yet others have no or crippled sound (alsa-backport-modules might help though). The kernel seems to be a very big problem Mavericks release, and since Mint is Ubuntu-based, the problems occur here, too.

The thing is, you can't expect the Mint team to fix all this. Even the kernel developer seem a bit overworked lately, so are the Ubuntu devs (with LOTS of work on the table before next release). So maybe those with bigger problems can start a new thread with detailed description of the hardware and problems. The best thing you all can do is include the output of "inxi -F" (more details about it with "inxi -h" in terminal). Maybe we can help each other getting things fixed?! What do you think about it?

Cheers, Susu (who will install LM10 as her main system on the netbook, once there is a stable release)

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 pm
by alligoodw
Susu wrote:To be honest, there are a lot of problems with Ubuntu's default kernel. You can read it all over ubuntuforums.org and the net. For me resume from suspend doesn't work with samsung-tools (which I need on my netbook), so I have to use an older maverick kernel (2.6.34*). Others have problems with wifi or even ethernet.Yet others have no or crippled sound (alsa-backport-modules might help though). The kernel seems to be a very big problem Mavericks release, and since Mint is Ubuntu-based, the problems occur here, too.

The thing is, you can't expect the Mint team to fix all this. Even the kernel developer seem a bit overworked lately, so are the Ubuntu devs (with LOTS of work on the table before next release). So maybe those with bigger problems can start a new thread with detailed description of the hardware and problems. The best thing you all can do is include the output of "inxi -F" (more details about it with "inxi -h" in terminal). Maybe we can help each other getting things fixed?! What do you think about it?

Cheers, Susu (who will install LM10 as her main system on the netbook, once there is a stable release)
I'll have to take you up on that - your help that is. Before doing so, I believe I'll wait on the final or actual release before attempting to fix problems that are related to the kernel. I'll download the DVD edition and do a clean install. We'll see what happens from there. Should I encounter problems, I'll be sure and ring your bell. :D

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 pm
by Daveleh
Susu wrote:
archimondech wrote:what the meaning of RC? im newbiee..
Release Candidate
It means it's planned to become the default but has been released prior to the final in order for last minute issues/bugs to be ironed out.

Regards

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm
by Beerislife
Installed it on my ThinkPad Edge but on suspend/Wake get this error:

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Seems to be a known bug but doesn't cause me any problems.

Maybe my imagination but battery life seemed to be better with Windows 7?

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm
by marcus0263
-- please remove, double post

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 pm
by marcus0263
marcus0263 wrote:
Beerislife wrote:Installed it on my ThinkPad Edge but on suspend/Wake get this error:

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Seems to be a known bug but doesn't cause me any problems.

Maybe my imagination but battery life seemed to be better with Windows 7?
Yep, known upstream bug

Battery life, yep. I get over 5 hours on my Netbook with Mint, just under 4 with Winbloats 7 Pro (and no wasn't running running Aero)

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:34 pm
by artemhp
Will be it easy to upgrade from RC to Stable version?

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 pm
by kmb42vt
artemhp wrote:Will be it easy to upgrade from RC to Stable version?


This question has been answered several times already. :wink:

Read this: (it's on the previous page of this thread)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p335347

It's recommended however, that you download and burn a copy of the final release just so you have it in case you need to reinstall someday. Saves you from having to apply all the updates since the RC was released.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm
by Susu
alligoodw wrote:I'll have to take you up on that - your help that is. Before doing so, I believe I'll wait on the final or actual release before attempting to fix problems that are related to the kernel. I'll download the DVD edition and do a clean install. We'll see what happens from there. Should I encounter problems, I'll be sure and ring your bell. :D
You're welcome. But I'm not sure I can help in any way, but I'll try. I'm as helpless as anybody out there. Kernel regressions are drivin' me mad. Still no fix on the horizon (for me, as far as I can tell). But maybe someone has figured out something somehow. So I hope everybody will share his or her success on overcoming some bugs/regressions. I know this community just rocks and is eager in helping each other. Well...do it!

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:05 pm
by Andrew33
So does anyone have a handle on "why" you can't resize any windows in LM10 RC regardless of what type of windows they are and the scrolling issue? Thanks


Andrew

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm
by Lolo Uila
andrew5859 wrote:So does anyone have a handle on "why" you can't resize any windows in LM10 RC regardless of what type of windows they are and the scrolling issue? Thanks
Andrew
I have no trouble with this. My windows resize fine, and the scroll bar (as well as my mouse wheel) works as well. I'll admit the thin window borders are more difficult to "grab" but I've gotten used to it so it's not really bothering me now. If you can't "grab" any window borders, try alt+middle-click to resize.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 pm
by kmb42vt
andrew5859 wrote:So does anyone have a handle on "why" you can't resize any windows in LM10 RC regardless of what type of windows they are and the scrolling issue? Thanks


Andrew
Question for you. Are you attempting to resize and scroll windows using your laptop's touch pad? (looking at your signature, I'm assuming that's the machine you're seeing the problem on) If so, have you tried plugging a regular mouse into the laptop and trying to resize/scroll windows that way as an elimination check? If using an actual mouse works for you and not the touch pad, it might be a problem with the touch pad driver. I seem to recall (somewhat vaguely I admit) that there was a problem with certain Dell touch pad drivers. If you've already tried what I suggested, then I'm pretty well stumped. This is the first I've heard of this problem with LM 10 RC.