mintUpdate 1.2 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
EPower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EPower »

Hello,

Ok Mintupdate is very good idea, so now i can see whats safe update and whats not :) but its still bugy, once i wanted to check for updates, so it asked for my password, i clicked on channel instead of entering my password and mintupdate crashed. Today i enetered my password but it did crash too, dont know when it happens cos mostly it does work. Yesterday i installed all yellow updates and at the end it crashed, there was just no response. Strange thing is, after crash its not visible on desktop-bar and i dont know how to start it again, i have to log off and log in again.
Another thing is - i cant maximize the window.

offtopic: clem, for the next Linux Mint release probably we can decide what to install and what not? like on Suse probably? it would be great. Then go for a dvd version, cos all programms are getting bigger and you have to cut it to much - the ones who dont have dvd-player they dont have internet so it will be even more a pain for them to download all programs from somewhere. DVD version can still be just 1gb.
Another thing is, its annoying to do fresh install everytime new linux comes out. I wish that it runs through Mintupdate :) so few clicks and you get complete new release, with all artwork etc. - isnt it possible?

good luck on further work.

jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

When I click on mark upgrades in synaptic it gives me 25MBs worth, so quite a few packages (Gimp etc...) and yet when I refresh mintUpdate manually it finds shows nothing to update. Any ideas why?

Sagasha

Mintupdate in KDE

Post by Sagasha »

OK I got it started in KDE and it shows some 80 updates but when I click "Install" it doesn't do anything?

What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

jbaerbock wrote:When I click on mark upgrades in synaptic it gives me 25MBs worth, so quite a few packages (Gimp etc...) and yet when I refresh mintUpdate manually it finds shows nothing to update. Any ideas why?
Ok after digging around I found that the list of updates are saved in 2 places.
The new updates are saved in /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate/
The old list is in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/
For some reason it reads the old list and not the new list.
I also moved the new list to the old list and it just puts back the old list.

jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah that doesn't work so well then lol.

Btw MerlWiz I look forward to your Daryana version :P

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mintupdate in KDE

Post by merlwiz79 »

Sagasha wrote:OK I got it started in KDE and it shows some 80 updates but when I click "Install" it doesn't do anything?

What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks
I am in XFCE, but I have KDE CE installed with mintUpdate and it worked fine before.
Do you have Synaptic installed?

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Same for me as jbaerbock... Synaptic lists 4 upgradable apps, while mintUpdate finds none even after refresh. :(

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintUpdate only performs update, synaptic does dist-upgrade... so it can explain why synaptic sees more things than mintUpdate.

mintUpdate runs in user mode at boot.. and in root mode after you click it. In user mode it can't perform updates so it relies on other programs to update APT and stores its files in your home... in root more it's using /usr/lib/linuxmint

There are a few remaining issues, mostly with mintUpdate running in the background... I'll try to fix these as fast as I can.

Clem

Sagasha

Re: Mintupdate in KDE

Post by Sagasha »

merlwiz79 wrote
I am in XFCE, but I have KDE CE installed with mintUpdate and it worked fine before.
Do you have Synaptic installed?
Guess I missed that!!! Thanks I installed Synaptic and it works. I made a shortcut for it in K-Menu, thanks again.

ElementalTJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElementalTJ »

Thank you, sir. This works way better than Synaptic Manager's 'Mark All Upgrades.' Thanks! :D

katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by katasuka »

i would like to note that mintupdate does not work on a default kubuntu install.

i just opened synaptic after using the mintupdate to check for updates... mintupdate says no updates while synaptic says there is a lot.

any idea how to get it to work? if not its cool, but it would be cool for it to work on kubuntu also, lol.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:mintUpdate only performs update, synaptic does dist-upgrade... so it can explain why synaptic sees more things than mintUpdate.

mintUpdate runs in user mode at boot.. and in root mode after you click it. In user mode it can't perform updates so it relies on other programs to update APT and stores its files in your home... in root more it's using /usr/lib/linuxmint

There are a few remaining issues, mostly with mintUpdate running in the background... I'll try to fix these as fast as I can.

Clem
When I look at the list in /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate it has all the updates that was in Synaptic.
When I look in the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/ it has the update i didn't install the last time and no new updates.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

merlwiz.. can you explain more, give me examples.. I don't really understand. Is wajig installed on that system? what does it give you when you type sudo wajig toupgrade?

Clem

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede »

MintUpdate does not list updates from reposteries that's not pgp-signed. (Yet.) Synaptic does.

Since I use software like scribus and compiz fusion, I don't bother with making the repos pgp-signed. Too much hassle, and I trust them enough. I just copy the lines from my previous sources.list when overhauling my system.

What about a six'th update-sign? A question-mark, for updates from unsigned reposteries? With a warning, like "Do not update unless you really trust the reposteries and know what you're doing."

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:merlwiz.. can you explain more, give me examples.. I don't really understand. Is wajig installed on that system? what does it give you when you type sudo wajig toupgrade?

Clem
Yes it's installed.
I have installed all the updates already.
But the file /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/upgrades shows old updates that I can't install since the -dev hasn't came out for it.
But the file in /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate/ had all the updates that Synaptic had.
So I moved it to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/ but it got overwritten with the old list again.
So I used Synaptic to install them.
I will have to login to Xubuntu Gutsy and take screenshots later today.(I am sure it has updates)

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ede: can you give me an example of package that appears in synaptic and not in mintUpdate? don't forget to tell me the repository needed to see that package update by the way.

Merlwiz: the home file should be outdated.. the /usr/lib should be newer.. the difference between the 2 is that the /usr/lib one is taken after apt-get update is called. Don't hesitate to send more info and an example of package and where it is in these files.

Guys, I've just fixed a lot of things so I'm getting ready to release 1.3... if what you're seeing is a bug 1.3 won't fix it but as there's a new logging scheme in it, it will help us understand the problem better.

Clem

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:Ede: can you give me an example of package that appears in synaptic and not in mintUpdate? don't forget to tell me the repository needed to see that package update by the way.

Merlwiz: the home file should be outdated.. the /usr/lib should be newer.. the difference between the 2 is that the /usr/lib one is taken after apt-get update is called. Don't hesitate to send more info and an example of package and where it is in these files.

Guys, I've just fixed a lot of things so I'm getting ready to release 1.3... if what you're seeing is a bug 1.3 won't fix it but as there's a new logging scheme in it, it will help us understand the problem better.

Clem
Ok here is the screenshot.
The empty upgrades is from the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/
The one with the new info is from /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate/
Click image to enlarge:

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You're looking at Gutsy there.. :) The only thing I can think of.. is that the new python libs in gutsy break something in mintUpdate which is only run in root mode... and that makes the refresh crash...

If you close synaptic and refresh manually in mintUpdate you get nothing at all?

... or ...

can you show me the output of "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" (don't do the upgrade.. just show the output and select "No").

and then the same but with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..

Clem

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

by the way.. if it does actually break mintUpdate... version 1.3 should tell us about it in the logs.

Clem

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:You're looking at Gutsy there.. :) The only thing I can think of.. is that the new python libs in gutsy break something in mintUpdate which is only run in root mode... and that makes the refresh crash...

If you close synaptic and refresh manually in mintUpdate you get nothing at all?

... or ...

can you show me the output of "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" (don't do the upgrade.. just show the output and select "No").

and then the same but with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..

Clem
It's Xubuntu Gutsy with everything I was adding to Celena XFCE CE, even the theme and wallpaper.
I opened mintUpdate click refresh then opened Synaptic to show the updates it had from yesterday.
It can't be Gutsy since I get the same thing in KDE CE.
Though that was my 1st though and didn't post about it.
Here is the info you wanted.
http://www.box.net/shared/nz0q5kd3vr

Return to “Releases & Announcements”