Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
DrTeeth

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by DrTeeth »

The Alpha Gamer wrote:Are the updates to turn the RC into stable in the update center yet? I can't get the stable to burn to a disk so i'll have to use the RC
I have not seen any yet. The final release DVD ISO is much larger than that of the RC too.

DrT
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by capricornus »

And again I join the happy crowd and applaud gladly. Especially Julia Gnome 64 is turning my AMDx2 work horse into a champion. NVIDIA, dualscreen, NAS, NAS-attached printers, everything runs better than Mint9.

BUT, as I mentioned on DistroWatch, somethings seemed to go wrong on my EeePC 1005: when Firefox addresses the DNS-server, it communicates this request and then, nothing happens, time out, 404 and so on. Of course I've tried and reset and controlled everything before I wrote this: everything between the wall and the netbook, so to speak. And I changed to Swiftfox. And I tried other laptops and pc's, with WinXP, Mint9 and Mint10: no problemos with the requests. Only the netbook. So yesterday evening, I switched the thing back to Mint9, and see: Firefox surfs as it should.

And another minor thing: the USB installer on both Mint10RC and Mint10final produce unusable sticks.
ysNoi

Post by ysNoi »

Great Julia release...Congratulations to all who are involved doing this distro... :D :D
bhakeman

Post by bhakeman »

kc1di wrote:
bhakeman wrote:Great name for the new release (my 8 week old daughter's name). Looking forward to upgrading my laptop.
Congratulations :)
Thanks, she will be 2 months old on Friday.

I installed Mint10 on an old desktop PC I'm trying to set up as a wireless garage workstation. It installed fine, how I need to figure out how to connect two wireless routers (if that's possible).
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Installed it last night, had it about an hour before going back to 9. I think i'll stick with 9 until the next long term one unless a must have feature gets added to a new release
alexsaw

Post by alexsaw »

When I can see mint 10 KDE ? At least RC....
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

alexsaw wrote:When I can see mint 10 KDE ? At least RC....
I'm sure there will be. The Gnome (Main) version is usually first.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Something worth mentioning, especially those who have run into trouble with upgrading. I highly recommend using Clonezilla, it's simple, fast and if you run into problems you can simply restore your system from the image. You can save the image to a number of places from a NAS to a usb external drive.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
alexsaw

Post by alexsaw »

JonM33, I know, but how long time I shall waiting for KDE version of mint 10 Julia? 1 week? 2 week? 1 month?
m00nd0gg

Post by m00nd0gg »

I'm having some trouble installing 10 on my computer. I'm running 8 on it now.

Burned the iso to a disc, verified it, popped it in my computer. Everything went fine until the Who Are You? window of the installation. I entered all the info (Name, Username, PW) and now the window just sits there and the dialogue says "Ready when you are" but the "Forward" button is greyed out so I can't complete the installation. Anyone know why this could be?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

m00nd0gg wrote:I'm having some trouble installing 10 on my computer. I'm running 8 on it now.

Burned the iso to a disc, verified it, popped it in my computer. Everything went fine until the Who Are You? window of the installation. I entered all the info (Name, Username, PW) and now the window just sits there and the dialogue says "Ready when you are" but the "Forward" button is greyed out so I can't complete the installation. Anyone know why this could be?
Could it be that you have not entered the info correctly? I recently came across the grayed out issue with a windows program as I had mistyped one of the two copies of the password. Just a thought...hope it helps.

DrT
merc68k

Post by merc68k »

I think this is the most polished Mint yet -- and the first one whose default theme I really like - the metal theme looks very polished and clean. Very nice icon set too.

As usual everything works right from the get go, now if only flash player wasn't such a piece of...

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved for another great release!
m00nd0gg

Post by m00nd0gg »

DrTeeth wrote:
m00nd0gg wrote:I'm having some trouble installing 10 on my computer. I'm running 8 on it now.

Could it be that you have not entered the info correctly? I recently came across the grayed out issue with a windows program as I had mistyped one of the two copies of the password. Just a thought...hope it helps.

DrT

Actually, I figured it out. I had a capital letter in my username and for some reason it didn't like that. When I went all lowercase I was able to finish the installation.

Thanks!
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

m00nd0gg wrote:Actually, I figured it out. I had a capital letter in my username and for some reason it didn't like that. When I went all lowercase I was able to finish the installation.

Thanks!
Linux is case sensitive. "Moon" is not the same as "moon".
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

JonM33 wrote: Linux is case sensitive. "Moon" is not the same as "moon".
I took it to mean that his user name had a capital letter in it and he was typing it correctly.

DrT
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Having corrected the usability problems with the Mint-X theme (took me hours but I got there) LM10 is looking like a keeper for me. Most surprising was that Ubuntu seems to have finally fixed its problem with gnome-settings-daemon not keeping the clipboard populated after closing an application. This bug has been around in Ubuntu and derivatives for ages, and it's vanished all of a sudden. It's about time too, Debian Lenny and Squeeze don't exhibit this behaviour, and neither does Arch or Fedora.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

I still haven't seen any Level 1 or Level 2 updates coming in (except for today, an update for mintUpdate), so I'm wondering when those of us who don't want to download, burn a new CD, and do a completely fresh install in order to upgrade are going to see these updates. Thanks.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

red-e-made wrote:I still haven't seen any Level 1 or Level 2 updates coming in (except for today, an update for mintUpdate), so I'm wondering when those of us who don't want to download, burn a new CD, and do a completely fresh install in order to upgrade are going to see these updates. Thanks.
This is being asked more and more and nobody can give a proper authoritative answer.

Ping clem?

DrT
Kubaceski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kubaceski »

DrTeeth wrote:
red-e-made wrote:I still haven't seen any Level 1 or Level 2 updates coming in (except for today, an update for mintUpdate), so I'm wondering when those of us who don't want to download, burn a new CD, and do a completely fresh install in order to upgrade are going to see these updates. Thanks.
This is being asked more and more and nobody can give a proper authoritative answer.

Ping clem?

DrT
Here, here.

I'm running 9 and would like to bump to 10 but don't want to have to keep doing fresh installs (all of my schoolwork is on it...). That's the one thing is that since we get new versions pretty frequently, I'd like to be able to keep up... There probably is a way already. Is that what Level 1 and Level 2 updates means? Updating OS stuff, not just peripheral or security stuff?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Kubaceski wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:

Ping clem?

DrT
Here, here.

I'm running 9 and would like to bump to 10 but don't want to have to keep doing fresh installs (all of my schoolwork is on it...). That's the one thing is that since we get new versions pretty frequently, I'd like to be able to keep up... There probably is a way already. Is that what Level 1 and Level 2 updates means? Updating OS stuff, not just peripheral or security stuff?
There is, insure you properly slice up your drives. This is a pet peeve I have with distros like Ubuntu, they just lump everything on one slice which is a very bad habit to have. Minimum of slices when you install should be -

/boot (around 256 Meg is fine)
/ (12-15 GB fine, anymore is wasted IMO)
/var/log (256 MB is fine)
swap (1.5 Gig at the most, you really don't need more)
/home (the rest of the disk freespace)

/boot to keep the kernel safe
/var/log well get a stuck daemon or something that floods your logs which fills up your file system and the end result is a corrupted file system ;)
/home So when you install/upgrade to the new version just don't "format" /home and your files are there. That in for the "most" part so are your desktop preferences, which may take a bit of tweaking due to the changes/upgrades of the OS. But really for the most part everything is usually "just there".

Again it's a very BAD habit to get into to install *nix the "Microsoft" aka lazy way of everything on one file system.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

Return to “Releases & Announcements”