Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna - BETA 021 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Xanikseo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xanikseo »

It says on the release notes page: "compatibility with all Ubuntu Feisty repositories and most Debian packages". Is this true or a copy and paste from last release notes :lol:?
Xanikikiki

DSP8000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DSP8000 »

Congrats and keep up the good work guys. Looks like MiNT team is keeping an open eye on every missing application or feature in UBUNTU and accordingly adding that to MiNT.
This is what MiNT makes absolutely THE BEST DISTRO, good looking, fast, easy to configure, great hardware detection, up to date, large software database...
I did some beta and final Ubuntu testing(just testing, my MiNT is running too good to be replaced) and to be honest MiNT is far, far better when it comes to usability. MiNT is my primary OS at home and my kids and my wife are more than pleased to use it and enjoy fast, stable secure environment.
Tnx. MiNT Team :D

poision
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna - BETA 021 is out!

Post by poision »

clem wrote:Hi,

The first release candidate for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna is out and available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_b21.php

NOTE: Something was not mentioned in the release notes: Daryna includes the Red Hat Liberation Fonts.

Please test it heavily so we can find and fix as many bugs as possible.

Clem
hi clem

thats really gr8 featurerich package..my daryna download is in progress...well i ve one question ,will mint 64 be there with this distro..?I am waiting for 64bit from mint...keep it up buddy..

prav

Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Any new artwork?

Post by Gorai »

I noticed that the artwork (in the screenshots) is the same as Celena, maybe someone is working on the new artwork for Daryna? That might give it a new look too,

Xanikseo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xanikseo »

The only thing I didn't like was the colour of the mintmenu. I think that's about it :P.

Great work!
Xanikikiki

patprimate
Level 1
Level 1

Same 'black screen'/power saving mode monitor problems

Post by patprimate »

Hello All :) I have unfortunately been having problems with my new computer. It is an Asus ASE380-ED501A and I have upgraded the video card to a Geforce 8800gts 320 mb ram.

With this new computer I have been unable to install Ubuntu Gutsy, and now that the beta for Daryna is out I cannot install that either (I even wasn't able to install plain ol Debian).

Whenever I try to boot with the live CD - either at the splash screen or if I use safe mode or other kernel arguments like 'nosplash' etc... then at the GDM launch - My screen goes blank and the monitor enters powersaving mode, I can't restart the server or get to the console. And in the past when I got to the console somehow with gutsy all the reconfiguring of the xserver did nothing.

If I cant get Ubuntu/Mint to work I'm going to have to bail to the RPM camp, as Fedora 8 boots/installs fine and so does Mandriva.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative, since I love debian based distros and do not want to bail out. But I'm at my wits end - and skills end too :P - thanks for the help.

Pat

dacorn
Level 1
Level 1

Busybox

Post by dacorn »

First timer on forum, but using Mint for some time now.

Downloaded Daryna beta21, tried to run LiveCD, but keep coming up against Busybox and initramfs. I´ve done the nosplash thing and it comes in after dev/fd0. I have now disabled the floppy drive in bios, and disconnected all cables to the floppy drive but this has made no difference. The funny thing is that I have used the same disc on a laptop and it loads without any problems.

I have trawled through ubuntu forums as well and it seems to be a problem there as well.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Busybox

Post by merlwiz79 »

dacorn wrote:First timer on forum, but using Mint for some time now.

Downloaded Daryna beta21, tried to run LiveCD, but keep coming up against Busybox and initramfs. I´ve done the nosplash thing and it comes in after dev/fd0. I have now disabled the floppy drive in bios, and disconnected all cables to the floppy drive but this has made no difference. The funny thing is that I have used the same disc on a laptop and it loads without any problems.

I have trawled through ubuntu forums as well and it seems to be a problem there as well.
I believe I read somewhere you just need to put an empty floppy in the drive.
Once it finds that it's empty it will continue.
Also try to make it last on the boot order list.

Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Daryna beta is installed, tweaked & running fine. Previous post had a good question, though. Where is the best place to post a bug? That is, if I should find one. :wink:

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

merlwiz79 wrote:
dacorn wrote:First timer on forum, but using Mint for some time now.

I believe I read somewhere you just need to put an empty floppy in the drive.
Once it finds that it's empty it will continue.
Also try to make it last on the boot order list.
putting an empty floppy in the drive worked for me with celena!!

however (on my machine at least) it would get about halfway through
the install and it would freeze up so, i put in a different (newer) cd rom drive
and all worked fine after that. ( I no longer needed the empty floppy)

I am now running daryna on that pc
with no trouble at all!! :D

A buddy of mine had the same issue and swapping the cd rom drive for a newer one solved his problem as well.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

deadguy wrote: putting an empty floppy in the drive worked for me with celena!!

however (on my machine at least) it would get about halfway through
the install and it would freeze up so, i put in a different (newer) cd rom drive
and all worked fine after that. ( I no longer needed the empty floppy)

I am now running daryna on that pc
with no trouble at all!! :D

A buddy of mine had the same issue and swapping the cd rom drive for a newer one solved his problem as well.
Could have been a dirty lens or a scratch on it.
There also could have been a conflict with the master and slave settings on the drive.

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Ya, may have been a scrached lens!
my master/slave settings were ok though and I
carefully cleaned the lens. it was pretty old! :wink:

acegeezer
Level 1
Level 1

Cracking release

Post by acegeezer »

Superb, giving this beta every chance to 'break'.. but, smooth as silk so far.. well done with this!

Lowkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lowkey »

Just finished downloading.

Very, very nice work :D

Ive been trying to break it but its as smooth as silk.

I would have loved my Belkin Desktop g (7000uk) to work but to be honest its not a biggy. It hasnt worked on Linux and Im going to replace it with a Linux compatible one.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

Hey guys just noticed the window decorator has changed, it this going to be the new default? i personally liked the Celena one better it seems to fit in better with the scroll bars and everything.

Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

No problem running the cd, but the default 800x600 screen is unuseable on my monitor. Envy gave an error saying it wasn't supported by my hardware (something like that). Strange, Celena is O.K. with envy.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Missed wrote:No problem running the cd, but the default 800x600 screen is unuseable on my monitor. Envy gave an error saying it wasn't supported by my hardware (something like that). Strange, Celena is O.K. with envy.
Envy needs to be updated.
We are waiting for a new one for the Livecd, but you can get one that will work here.
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/ ... u8_all.deb

Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

merlwiz79 wrote:Envy needs to be updated.
We are waiting for a new one for the Livecd, but you can get one that will work here.
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/ ... u8_all.deb
Thank-you. I will try that.

Exakun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exakun »

NoobixCube wrote:Great work on getting the beta out :D Took me totally by surprise.

Just one thing, not a bug though. I'm a big fan of Emerald, how do I set that as my window decorator?
To do this, change your startup script to read "compiz --replace -c emerald &" (permanent fix) and if you already have it running, then do ALT+F2 and type "emerald --replace" to fix it until you kill compiz manually or by rebooting.
I'm exaxxion4096 on IRC. I'll try to help everyone out whenever I'm on :)

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Opera is really fast to start on Daryna :shock:

Compiz-Fusion is a little bit slower than Beryl used to be, the burning effect for example takes several seconds to close a full-screen application: I understand why it was changed to "Glide 2" in Daryna :roll:

I had some problems with mounting my partitions, MintDisk not being there anymore; for some reason my two FAT32 partitions (D on hda5 and E on hda6) where mounted under the same path (I think both went under /media/hda6) causing some trouble. I had to manually edit /etc/fstab to get them back.

Now about the artwork, I still prefer Bea/Human's decorations, widgets and icons :oops:

Also, I'd like to see MintMenu fully in french (or other), I never saw any information on how to change its language !?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”