Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wraeththu »

Daryna runs pretty well on my system so far (far better than Suse 10.2) but I did encounter 2 problems/bugs that may be related to Daryna:

1. Gparted:
Does not relly work well with NTFS Partitions.
Expanding or moving them often causes errors. Expanded drives Show their new size in Gparted an also in windows hard disk utility, but still have their old size when you look at them at the desktop (does not matter Linux/Windows)

For example: A drive that has been 40 GB was expanded bx Gparted to 48 GB. in Partition tools it has 48GB, but it can still only take 40GB of data.

Workaround for me so far: Delete Partition and make a new one (this works fine on Gparted so far) or use Norton ghost ;-(

2. Hangup at boot
Sometimes my system hangs up at boot after the boot window message "Waiting for Boot partition"
This seems to be connected to external USB drives (I have 2 external DVD burners) because when the system boots up without errors I can hear the 2 drives initializing directly after this message appeared.
This might be a bug in Daryna, but may also be a special complication of my System because the Symptom also happens (very seldom) when I boot Windows (and did so before when I only had windows...but with windows you do not think about this for longer and accept it as normal...because it is windows)

My System

IBM Intellistation 6219
Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT
2 gb ram
Geforce 7800GS+ 512 mb
Soundblaster live 5.1
2 external dvd burners (NEC/Pioneer) in ICY-Box Case
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Can anyone else confirm the log off bug I found?
Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wraeththu »

we encountered one more bug at first install:
we tried to install Daryna at first on the 36 GB scsi drive that is also in the system, swap on one 4 gb partition on one 400GB IDE Hd, Home on the second 400GB IDE Hd (no RAID!)

Daryna did not even boot in this configuration
z0phi3l
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z0phi3l »

Quick question, what version of the nvidia drivers does Daryna come with? The default ones that come with Gutsy tend to lockup the system occasionally and crashes out the system completely when playing WoW.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

rootkowski wrote: Though it came with no themes at all so that you need to search for yourself, but that's not a big thing. I recommend gnome-look.org
I have made a .deb for Daryna that will add some themes.
http://www.MegaShare.com/301516
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

Thanks for new great job!

I have just installed Deryna and started to make it usable for me. Here there are my first observations.

1) When I tried to create 4 virtual desktops an error message from Gnome has popped out. It was smth like warning about possible errors in the future ...

2) during the installation of the packages I need "An error occured"
"E: latex209-bin: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1". I haven't seen such error messages in 3 previous versions of Mint when I was installing basicaly the same packages (latex, xemacs, gv, xpdf etc). (The same error message appeared later after I installed the latest software upgrades on the system.)

The detailed report about the error says: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/latex209.fmt not a file etc.

An attempted reinstallation of latex209 has produced the same error.

Then, after rebooting I got the error message "There was an error starting Gnome Settings Daemon. Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly ... " Login out and login in removes the error message.

3) I am happy that Daryna doesn't nerve about the "blacklisted ipv6 module" during the boot process as 2 former versions of Mint did.

4) the command $ xterm & from the terminal produces an error message
"Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, could not open network socket". It takes unusually long 2-3 sec until xterm appears. It was working flawlessly on previous versions of Mint.

5) after booting and doing nothing the processor (Pentium M) still stays at the highest speedstep level instead of the lowest one (as shown by /proc/cpuinfo). I think this behaviour is not normal for the newest kernel 2.6.22. What should I do?

6) Hm. After making ssh, opening firefox, and using document viewer I cannot quit, so I have to use the power button to quit!

On my 1.1Ghz /4200 rpm/1,2GB RAM subnotebook the distro boots from the external USB CD-ROM in 3 mins, and the installation takes 15 mins.
The boot time from Grub to the login promt is approx. 25 sec.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks for the reply qsomi, now I know it isn't just me.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

exploder wrote:Can anyone else confirm the log off bug I found?
Nope. I just logged off then back on again and everything behaved as it should (same as login from boot up).

Aloha, Tim
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

exploder wrote:Can anyone else confirm the log off bug I found?
Yes, I already mentionned it a few messages back.
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

i mentioned earlier that lack of system sound in daryna is a bug. i can confirm now that it was my on-board audio driver failing me like every other thing on that board. using pci audio card, and sound is okay
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Wraeththu wrote:we encountered one more bug at first install:
we tried to install Daryna at first on the 36 GB scsi drive that is also in the system, swap on one 4 gb partition on one 400GB IDE Hd, Home on the second 400GB IDE Hd (no RAID!)

Daryna did not even boot in this configuration
I had a similar problem installing Cassandra on a system with mixed drives and controllers (SATA & IDE). It's been a while, but as I recall the problem had to do with the BIOS sorting order of the drives. I was setting up a Windows/Linux dual-boot on the SATA drives, and in order to install Windows I had to set the BIOS to sort the SATA drives first (normally the IDE drives were 1st).

After sorting the SATA drives 1st I was able to install, boot and configure Windows. Then I booted my Mint CD and proceeded to install Linux. The install ran all the way through without any problems, but when I tried to reboot I received a Grub error-15.

Linux, it seems, was ignoring the BIOS sort order and finding the IDE drives 1st, so I tried changing the root drive reference in menu.lst every which way but Grub could never find the correct boot device. I just kept getting Grub errors no matter what hard drive I told it to look at.

I tried turning the IDE controller off in the BIOS and then the system could boot. Then I turned it back on, and all of the sudden the Grub menu popped up. Turning the controller off, then on again reset the BIOS sort order (IDE 1st) and Grub was now able to find its menu. Then it was just a simple matter of changing root (hd1,0) to (hd5,0) so Grub knew that Linux was now on the 5th hard drive.

For some reason Linux will install (seemingly correctly) on a system with the BIOS sort oder altered, but will not boot. And yes, I tried (hd5,0) when the drives were still sorted by the BIOS; it did not work.

Of course once the drives were unsorted Windows would no longer boot (because it was not on the 1st drive/partition any longer), but a simple "map" swap in menu.lst fixed that.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, Tim
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

npap wrote:Hello Husse,
I am sure that this is inherited from Ubuntu.

1) No matter what resolution you select at installation, the system always starts with 640x480.
Result: Huge fonts during login, with GNOME VOLUME MANAGER appearing cut off at the ends, reading OME VOLUME MAN.
And login name appears in size 20 or higher fonts.
It is extremely hard to proceed with any operation or setup, unless you change your resolution to the appropriate one, at this stage.]
2) What has happened to the 1024x768 resolution? The nearest usable one is 1152x768. And this makes things look oval (greater height than width).

3) APTonCD in control panel reads Create a Installation Disk.

NOTE: I tried editing the xorg.config file with no success. It says I don't have permission to save the changes.
# The default 3D effects in the beginning result in a strange behavior of the desktop.
EDIT. I finally edited the xorg.conf file, but this does not solve the resolution problem
Otherwise, Daryna is a hit! Congratulations!
[b]EDIT. This is really an Ubuntu problem. But it can be avoided by starting the live CD in SAFE GRAPHICS MODE
[/b]In this case, it starts with a high resolution: 1280x1024.
Then you can go to the Control Panel>Screen Resolution Preferences, and
select the desired one from here.
THEY ARE NOW 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024
Last edited by npap on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Now, I don't know if it's me or Daryna but something is definitely wrong. But i'll start from the beginning.

I installed the beta as soon as it came. I used for it an old hd. Old and noisy. So I got quite tired of the noise and, since Daryna was performing really well on my machine, I decided to replace Celena with it and of course kick out the old nasty noisy thing.

I installed Daryna keeping my home partition as it was and mouting it under Daryna as home as well (without formatting it). Now, everything works great. I updated the system, I have all the settings as they were, but I can't open directories with nautilus. It's hopeless. It doesn't open at all. I installed PCmanFM and it works without any problems. Moreover, I can use nautilus as root (opening it via terminal). So since then I started suspecting there must be something in the settings from Celena on my home partition that prevents nautilus from working as it's supposed to.

I renamed the ~/.nautilus folder to see what would happen. A new one came up after restart but still nothing works any better than before.

Does anyone have any clue if this is a bug or if it's my own fault? If people will be migrating the same way as me (from Celena to Daryna) they might bump into the same wall.

Another thingy is the slow loading of the system from the time the wallpaper comes up on. And sometimes it takes a minute or two to get to the Quit window (but that has been mentioned a couple of times so I'm just confirming it).

I hope beta 2 (or final release) will come soon. Can't wait :-D
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I forgot to add that Daryna is the first linux for which I didn't need to play around with network settings (particularly with mtu - I always had to change the default 1500 to 1492) to gain access to the internet. It works out of the box. That's great. So many have been complaining about gutsy but for me it just works :-D
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Me again :-)

I noticed that nautilus was on the process list 3 times. I killed the process and then I could open folders without any problems. Even if i close all open folders nautilus remains on the process list as running and I cannot open folders any more. I need to kill the process to be able to open folders again.

Any clue? :-S
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Another thing I thought of is that it's not as easy to switch window's manager with compiz as with beryl manager. In fact I don't know how to do it since beryl manager is not available for Daryna. Maybe it would be possible to make or find a little app that sits in the tray and does the switching? It would be very useful when playing full screen games on wine :-)
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

A bug in Daryna:
Tracker doesn't find anything- the deamon is running, but doesn't do anything. Please give me a feedback: is tracker working(finding) for you?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

rootkowski wrote:Another thing I thought of is that it's not as easy to switch window's manager with compiz as with beryl manager. In fact I don't know how to do it since beryl manager is not available for Daryna. Maybe it would be possible to make or find a little app that sits in the tray and does the switching? It would be very useful when playing full screen games on wine :-)
That should be easy to do with a simple script. I'll try and put something together tonight when I get home from work.

What window manager is used in Daryna by default (without Compiz)? Is it just the GNOME Metacity WM?

Aloha, Tim
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

kosmonaut, I just did a simple search in Tracker and it worked.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I can also say that tracker does find things but it's really tough for the cpu (ok, i have only amd64 3200+).

I'm very thankful for the script. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks that it should work. Anyway, my concern was (new) users who are not accustomed to scripts and prefer doing things visually, like with beryl manager. Perhaps it's a thing for the compiz team to solve.
And once again thanks for the script ;-)

Edit:
I've tried the script and it works perfectly well. Thanks a lot! :-)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”