Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Hello all,

I have this problems with the freezing shutdown and that the panel at the start shortly appears and then the panel is away for 3-4 seconds and start again. After compiz update today the panel problem is solved, but the shut-down freeze at the end. But this shutdown problem I have had in several linux distributions, based on debian.

Greetz
neo67
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I had the log on / log off problem and shutdown problem fixed. I locked my screen so my 2 yr old wouldn't mess with things and found out that if I unlocked the screen I could not shut down afterwards!

By now I was getting pretty fed up with the system, Ubuntu released 7.10 with a lot of bugs.... This is not any fault of clem or Mint.

Like I said I was pretty fed up by now and installed everything from Gutsy Proposed. I thought "what the heck". This resolved all issues with shutdown, logoff, logon and screensaver! There was one side effect, GDM errors at startup. The fix for that was to edit my hosts file with my computer name.

I knew the host name fix from running Gutsy. This was certainly not the prefered way to fix these problems but at least everything is working. I still can not install compizconfig-settings-manager without the original problems happening but at least the system is stable and the basic compiz works fine.

There was a thread on the Ubuntu forums about waiting to release Gutsy until the bugs were fixed, the developer's should have waited.

I will have to see if anymore problems occur...

qsomi
Level 1
Level 1

Log on/off bug

Post by qsomi »

I am a victim of the same "log on/off problem". After about three log offs, mint seems slower and and when I click "Quit" from the menu, nothing happens. I am not using any visual effects at all and I also tried removing "compizconfig-settings-manager" just to see, but the problem remains. I agree with exploder. Gutsy seems very buggy and until these bugs are addressed, it might be better to stick with Celena.

qsomi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qsomi »

One more thing!

Sometimes with this log on/off problem my desktop background or icons wont display.

"ps aux" reveals nautilus running between 70% and 80% of the CPU.

qsomi 7000 69.4 3.8 79864 19676 ? R 13:54 1:56 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id default2

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I have not had any problems with log-off/on or shutdown since the update yesterday.

I am still not happy with the performance in Daryna. It just seems slow and laggy overall. Celena with Beryl runs MUCH faster and smoother (Celena is still my default boot option).

Aloha, Tim

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I seem to have everything working now. My system is a little slower than when Celena was loaded.

I had better compatibility with MS Office documents in Celina. The bullets in my resume show up funky in OpenOffice 2.3.The bullets showed up right in OpenOffice 2.3 that I installed in Celina from Sun's site.

I figure since I have the major problems fixed I will stick it out.

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Probably more of an Ubuntu/Gutsy bug, but:

Totem seems to be broken for MP3 playback after installing the ATI 8.42 driver (the only driver that will work with my AGP X1950 card). It just launches, then quits with no error message. Amarok still works.

Celena is fine with this card using the restricted driver from the repository (& Xgl).

Aloha, Tim

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Ok fellows,
I had to download Ubuntu Gutsy to see that it is behaving like Daryna, or better , the other way around.
Screen resolution problems are carried over to Daryna.
But working in Safe Graphics Mode, may bypass this bug.

Cheers

guslinus
Level 1
Level 1

Log out and Login not appear the desktop need restart system

Post by guslinus »

Problems when I log out again after the destkop not only appears more restarting the system. Even with CTRL+ALT+Backspace the destkop appears

Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Slocker »

It happened to me various times that changing in the network applet from Wifi (de-activating it) to Wire Connection (I selected a profile previously saved) and I don't get hooked up. I have to go to a terminal and manually run 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' in order to get the wire connection up.

oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Bugs with Beta 021

Post by oliverjames »

Installed Beta 021. Formatting /home . Installing on ACER Travelmate 4052LMi, integral Realtek AC'97 sound circuitry.

Sound worked fine in live CD mode. Opened and listened to the BBC while installing.

After install no sound from computer. Attempting to listen to BBC or other audio streams causes Firefox to freeze. Previously Mplayer would open and play. (BBC uses Realplayer by default for many of its transmissions). Note that Realplayer not available thro Synaptic.

Manual install of RP doesn't solve problem, Firefox still freezes.

Have not been able to get sound with this Beta. All previous Mint installations have dealt with this impecably.

NOTE: similar problem experienced with Beta 008 Daryna XFCE.

There is more. Having installed Skype, And GoogleEarth I can no longer boot the installation. I think this is a resource issue. Note that all worked perfectly under CelenaG and Cassandra XFCE.

Importing settings doesn't work in either Gnome or XFCE Daryna.

Suggestion - It would be a nice touch to allow more user intervention with the Grub setup. For example - set default distro, choose whether to install Grub or not.

Looking forward to the final release of Daryna.

Oliverjames

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I have also noticed some instability when using wine apps (itunes for example). But I am quite sure that comes from the fact compiz is running at the same time. Anyway, I've never seen my mint freezing like that. There's of course the option of switching off the effects and that helps.

There are also some little things happening every now and then, totally at random. And usually such a thing happens just once and is never repeated. One of such is that when I wanted to switch on compiz it asked for my sudo password, which is really weird. I can't think of more right now.

Cheers

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I'm afraid I've found another thing. It's most probably Gnome thing or HP. Anyway, I was trying to print a 10 page document with 2 pages per sheet in Document Viewer (Evince). First I marked to print all pages in reversed order, which resulted in just 2 last pages printed on one sheet, and indeed they were in reversed order - first page 10 then 9 :-S

Then I just wanted it to print the document, but still with the option of 2 pages per sheet (not reversed). It printed only 4 pages (2 sheets) and then it stopped and kept quiet (even though it was set to print all pages).

My third and last try was to print pages 5-10 (again 2 pages/sheet). And... nothing happened. The printing was stopped the very second it was started. Clicking Resume doesn't help.

el-nico
Level 1
Level 1

Open Office freezes and turns grey right away

Post by el-nico »

Installed it last night, and so far so very, very good.
Got my amarok, K3B, Thunderbird and Firefox, azureus..... Got it all in ship shape :)

BUT when I try to make any little change in OpenOffice (color, fonts as standard..... from Tools ->) it freezes up, turns grey and I have to force quit after some time. Getting a little worried about my writing.
Seems to be OK when I open a document, everything seems OK. But I cant make any real changes.....

Well, most things I try to do from [Tools->....] makes Open Office grey and freezing

Can someone help?
Anyone?

Other than that - el Perfecto!!!

oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

The greying out appears to indicate no response from the application. I had the same when putting load on resources from within Firefox.

I'll checkit out later this evening

sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sundayrefugee »

Gutsy Gibbon GNOME greys out when an app is working when Compiz is turned on, much like an "hourglass" cursor. I really wish Mint was based on Sid or Lenny, or even Rawhide, instead of the incredibly buggy moving target that is Ubuntu ;-( Mint is still my distro, but it's inheriting too many *buntu bugs...

el-nico
Level 1
Level 1

Post by el-nico »

oliverjames wrote:The greying out appears to indicate no response from the application. I had the same when putting load on resources from within Firefox.

I'll checkit out later this evening
I like the grey! Gives me a chance to get more coffee ;)

I turned of all the desktop effects, all the extras, all the fun, fun, fun, thinking that would help my OpenOffice work better, but no such luck.....

I have no problems using it. But when I want to change something it still freezes

Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Envy destroys the probably the system

Post by Wh1sper »

I've installed 2 times the new mint. one time beta 021 and one time the beta 008 xfce edition.
both have the same failure, so I post here.
On my Asus G1 Notebook, the live-cd boot well, everything is working.
but after installation there come the point where I wish to add the NVIDIA driver.
Envy was not installed so I did it with aptitude install envy.
after this there is the gtk library bad nothing with gtk works anymore.
Please see the details here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6467

First I thought it was an temporary error with the repository but it seem the failure is still there.
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/

cgraham
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia

Post by cgraham »

I installed Daryna Beta 021 and used the "Restricted Drivers Manager" to install the nvidia drivers. It worked fine, even Compiz works.

The only problem I've had is with Open Arena. If you play more than one level it drops out of fullscreen mode to a window. Then you can't do anything with it. I have to do a hard reboot to get my system back to working.

Chas

Xanikseo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xanikseo »

Because Gutsy is so buggy, I think Ubuntu should do a rerelease when all the bugs are fixed. Loads of people can't even use Gutsy because it's so buggy, and applications like Wine aren't making debs for feisty anymore....
Xanikikiki

Return to “Releases & Announcements”