Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
puba62
Level 1
Level 1

Live CD problems

Post by puba62 »

I seem to have the same bug as many in the gutsy community... my live CD gets the black screen. I have tried EVERYTHING i can find on the subject, and still nothing. All the unusual hardware problems with this release(Gutsy) seem to go back to the kernel. any plans to move Daryna to a newer(or older) kernel? Cassandra/Celena have no problems on my system.... trying the Daryna cd yields me sound card errors, it finds my drives as SCSI (I assure they are not) and ultimatley lands me on a black screen going into X. I even tried different video cards. it seems to go back to improper hardware detection in almost every case of this, and as much as they say "just boot with noapic" it did not work for me nor did other boot options. even if it did, that is a band-aid, not a solution. If Daryna can fix this problem we can easily pull some ubuntu users who are very frustrated that their cries for help have gone unanswered.

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

rootkowski wrote:I've noticed that closing down the computer doesn't work using the link/button in the mint menu. I click on Quit and nothing happens. It works with the main menu though.
I get that sometimes as well. Not always for me, though, sometimes it works (but even then it takes around 5 seconds for the Quit option dialog to appear).

jmjosebest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmjosebest »

I have an usb network card with chipset RTL8187L

This: http://www.comprawifi.com/usb/alta-pote ... _1082.html

In Cassandra run OK but in Daryna dont run.

The driver: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true

Thanks!!

Louence
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louence »

My problem

python pulse.py ati
root@Greeenmage:/usr/share/envy# python pulse.py ati
ENVY ERROR: Your Operative System does not seem to be supported by Envy

I can't get video files to display any video...I just hear the audio...so Im guessing I need proper drivers for my graphics card...yet I can't install them.

It's weird...gutsy played them as soon as I'd installed the windows codecs...hmmm...any ideas?

patprimate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Live CD problems

Post by patprimate »

Thanks for bringing this up Puba, I have the exact same problem. I have tried as many of the 'solutions' as I could find and none of them work either. I really hope we can get this figured out because otherwise people with this prob will be unable to use the newest mint/ubuntu software. If anyone can help us we will be very appreciateive.

Thank you all for your help.

Pat
puba62 wrote:I seem to have the same bug as many in the gutsy community... my live CD gets the black screen. I have tried EVERYTHING i can find on the subject, and still nothing. All the unusual hardware problems with this release(Gutsy) seem to go back to the kernel. any plans to move Daryna to a newer(or older) kernel? Cassandra/Celena have no problems on my system.... trying the Daryna cd yields me sound card errors, it finds my drives as SCSI (I assure they are not) and ultimatley lands me on a black screen going into X. I even tried different video cards. it seems to go back to improper hardware detection in almost every case of this, and as much as they say "just boot with noapic" it did not work for me nor did other boot options. even if it did, that is a band-aid, not a solution. If Daryna can fix this problem we can easily pull some ubuntu users who are very frustrated that their cries for help have gone unanswered.

Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

No chance of Beryl 0.2.x being added to Daryna as an alternative to Compiz?
Beryl is dead, well at least party. It was fused with compiz.

kiwiboyus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwiboyus »

I just installed Daryna (using safe graphics mode), on my Toshiba Satellite A60 w/ATI Mobility 7000 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory and I can not enable any desktop effects. I tried installing the ATI driver using Envy but it just fails. I was testing Gutsy on this machine and desktop effects worked great, I had no issues when running Celena either. I cheked my xorg.conf and it just lists:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "vesa"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Software

Post by floweringmind »

Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

Where is GIMP 2.4 final???

Is this just Ubuntu being lame?

mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

i am not sure if this a bug, but my drives/partitions were not automatically mounted. in previous version i never had to manually mount windows and other partitions with important files.

thanks for job well done

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Envy is not compatible with Daryna... yet. It needs an update. Remember, this is a Beta release, so some things will be broken.

If you need drivers you will need to use apt, Synaptic, or install them manually. Welcome to the world of Beta testing. :)

Aloha, Tim

PS: If you have an AGP X1k/X2k series ATI card I posted a guide.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0569#40569

mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Software

Post by mikeon11 »

floweringmind wrote:Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

use mint install or mintportal to install them if you miss them

kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

@kiwiboyus: Have you tried to use the "radeon" driver? I am not 100% sure that it will work with your card, but with a vesa driver (it has NO 3d support) you cannot have desktop effects.

mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

mikeon11 wrote:i am not sure if this a bug, but my drives/partitions were not automatically mounted. in previous version i never had to manually mount windows and other partitions with important files.

thanks for job well done
after enabling ntfs read-write all drives and partitions came to life

my realthek audio is recognised and installed yet no sound, any idea??

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

kosmonaut wrote:@kiwiboyus: Have you tried to use the "radeon" driver? I am not 100% sure that it will work with your card, but with a vesa driver (it has NO 3d support) you cannot have desktop effects.
Yea, changing "vesa" to "radeon" in xorg.conf should work for the older cards. That should get the open-source ATI driver running.

Aloha, Tim

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I still have to try Daryna, but some of the bugs I read here (i.e. the black screen at the start) are similar to a bug I encountered in installing Gutsy in BOTH my computers (the ATI laptop and the nVidia desktop). It's a usplash problem, you can find the solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3608552

Hope it helps

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Software

Post by Kynan »

floweringmind wrote:Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

I hope they will be installed by default in the final release, i'm sick of having to go off and get the newest versions of everything after a fresh install, the mintinstall tool does help... but it still has its quirks.
I think we should really start putting the versions into the name or details because often they are quite old versions and i have to go elsewhere to get what i'm after anyway. maybe once you click on the programs name there might be a number of versions to choose from for people who prefer the more stable releases and one for the very newest. Just an idea.

Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

Most everything that I need appears to be running from the Live CD except Open Office. When I double click Writer, Calc or Impress I get the Open Office Linux Mint box. It just sits on the screen doing absolutely nothing.

Now, I realize that this may just be a quirk in the Live CD, but I'm not prepared yet to overwrite Celena and possibly loose everything that I've been working on...

If OOo works in the Beta when installed on the HDD, then I'm not overly concerned and I'll look forward to working with Daryna for the next six or so months.

However, if others are having this situation, then perhaps it's time to get out the tools and make some adjustments.

What version of OOo will Daryna be using? I think that my Windows version is 2.4. (Windows should be gone from my computer before the end of this year.)

I'm pleased that The GIMP will be Version 2.4. There's seems to be a lot of anticipation for this version, when finalized.

Meteor
Canada, eh!

DeanW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DeanW »

Daryna Beta 021

Just a small oversight I found.

/etc/sources.list

Code: Select all

## +++ Feisty (Ubuntu 7.10) +++
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted universe multiverse

## +++ Celena (Linux Mint 4.0) +++
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository daryna/
These should read as follows, since accurate commenting is important.

/etc/sources.list

## +++ Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) +++
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted universe multiverse

## +++ Daryana (Linux Mint 4.0) +++
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository daryna/

elbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elbeto »

I just downloaded Daryna and run it in the Live Cd mode.

It works pretty good, just minor annoyances.

First, for some reason it started at 1280 x 784 resolution which my monitor doesn't handle it very well, but it was a matter of changing the resolution.

The other thing that it didn't work properly is the cube, I just see a pane but not the cube, maybe there is some preference that I have to tweak but I couldn't find it.

Other than that it works like a charm, and is very responsive and fast.

Great job.

elbeto

patprimate
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your feedback kanishka

Post by patprimate »

kanishka wrote:I still have to try Daryna, but some of the bugs I read here (i.e. the black screen at the start) are similar to a bug I encountered in installing Gutsy in BOTH my computers (the ATI laptop and the nVidia desktop). It's a usplash problem, you can find the solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3608552

Hope it helps
Hi Kanishka, Thanks for your feedbqack and the link you posted. It turned out not to help (the link topic is about fixing usplash after Ubuntu is already installed). But continued searching around the Ubuntu forums led to me finding the solution :D YAY!!!!!

So, if your like me and have tried a number of the other 'solutions' to no avail, then try this deceptively simple one that worked for me

At the livecd grub boot screen where you get to choose what to load, press F4 and select the appropriate resolution for your monitor. I have a Acer AL2223W 22" monitor with a default resolution of 1680 X 1050 - so I picked the 1680 x 1050 x 32 option in F4 and booted with the standard 'load or install linux mint' option and everything worked fine - with the exception that my screen did blank for a second, but this happened after I had already seen the cursor appear (which had never happened before) so I just wiggled the mouse and the screen woke up again.

I'm so happy that I can finally enjoy Daryna/Gutsy,

Thanks everyone, and good luck to those still struggling with this problem,

Pat

Return to “Releases & Announcements”