Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

elbeto wrote:...The other thing that it didn't work properly is the cube, I just see a pane but not the cube, maybe there is some preference that I have to tweak but I couldn't find it.
Yea, it comes set to 2 viewports by default instead of the usual 4. There is a setting for that. I think it is in general settings, desktop size, horizontal size (set to 4 for a cube).

That's from memory since I'm at work right now on a Winblows box, so I may be a little off.

EDIT: Okay, I'm home now. Menu > Advanced Desktop Effects (Compiz Config Settings) > General Options > Desktop Size > Horizontal Virtual Size: set to 4 (leave the other settings at 1)

Aloha, Tim

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Lolo Uila wrote:How does Compiz launch at boot up? There isn't any entry in sessions, so what is running it?

Thanks, Tim
Still looking for an answer to this question...

Aloha, Tim

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Hi,

I have a rather annoying problem: when I click on "Quit", the logoff screen takes about 45-50s to appear, and I can't do anything else while waiting !?

Also, I enabled some system sounds (for example I chose "Clinck" for menu selection) and when I invoke the MintMenu, I can hear two clicks events (should be one isn't it ?), the same when I close the MintMenu. And I even hear *3* sounds events when I click an item in MintMenu !?

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Software

Post by merlwiz79 »

mikeon11 wrote:
floweringmind wrote:Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

Where is GIMP 2.4 final???

Is this just Ubuntu being lame?
use mint install or mintportal to install them if you miss them
Firefox 2.0.0.8 has bugs in it that stop some functions, but 2.0.0.9 should be out this week.
Not sure when Clem will compile it and add to the repo, though.

GIMP 2.4 this has not been made by Ubuntu and would be in the back ports if they do.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

kiwiboyus wrote:I just installed Daryna (using safe graphics mode), on my Toshiba Satellite A60 w/ATI Mobility 7000 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory and I can not enable any desktop effects. I tried installing the ATI driver using Envy but it just fails.
Envy has been upgraded and is in the repo.

ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

Lolo Uila wrote:EDIT: Okay, I'm home now. Menu > Advanced Desktop Effects (Compiz Config Settings) > General Options > Desktop Size > Horizontal Virtual Size: set to 4 (leave the other settings at 1)

Aloha, Tim
Thank you, Lolo Ulla, I took notice of this issue too. Now, it's OK.

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

mikeon11 wrote: after enabling ntfs read-write all drives and partitions came to life
But for that one needs to install ntfs-config. I couldn't find any other way to get partitions mounted automaticly. Why isn't it installed by default??? Or maybe there IS another way? :S

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello Husse,
I am sure that this is inherited from Ubuntu.

1) No matter what resolution you select at installation, the system always starts with 640x480.
Result: Huge fonts during login, with GNOME VOLUME MANAGER appearing cut off at the ends, reading OME VOLUME MAN.
And login name appears in size 20 or higher fonts.
It is extremely hard to proceed with any operation or setup, unless you change your resolution to the appropriate one, at this stage.]

2) What has happened to the 1024x768 resolution? The nearest usable one is 1152x768. And this makes things look oval (greater height than width).

3) APTonCD in control panel reads Create a Installation Disk.
(Some good grammar here would help)

NOTE: I tried editing the xorg.config file with no success. It says I don't have permission to save the changes.
# The default 3D effects in the beginning result in a strange behavior of the desktop.
Otherwise, Daryna is a hit! Congratulations!

mccarter
Level 1
Level 1

Minor bug

Post by mccarter »

I just finished trying out about 7 different linux distributions, and this is by far my favourite and certainly the most stable (at least on my machine and running RAID devices). Thank you for an excellent distribution.

I have found a very minor bug: the Linux Mint menu - which is wonderful and I love it - doesn't use Gnome Theme Text background colour. I found out when I installed the Ubuntu Studio theme and suddenly couldn't read the menu. :-(

It would be great if you could fix this. :-)

Thanks,

Robert.

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

npap wrote:...NOTE: I tried editing the xorg.config file with no success. It says I don't have permission to save the changes....
Whenever you work on a file outside of your home directory you need to have "root" or "Super User" privileges. To do that you preface the command with "sudo" when launching it from a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Happy editing!

Aloha, Tim

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Aloha Tim :)
Thanks for the tip. I will try it.
Cheers,
npap

EDIT I just tried it, but I get a blank page and a message that the 'file cannot be found'
OK! I must have been typing something wrong Tim.
I tried it copying your command and pasting it to the Terminal. It worked! :)

THANKS

kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hi there!

I just got Mint 4,0 installed, it looks very good *mon respect*

Here my only bug that i found until now:
Got an error while changing to my secondary user.
I get a infobox pops up, saying that:
could not start mintUpdate
Another mintUpdate is running and this session doesn't have enought privileges....
Of course the 2nd User should not have any "privileges". This infobox should be only visible for the "root"-User.

Features wishes ;-)
Just a other minor thing: How about using Gion icons as default. I thing those icons look sweet. Take a look: http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1340

Last: how about having those packages installed by default, so that nautilus previews audio files:
vorbis-tools>ogg
sox>wav
mpg123-esd>mp3
(They are very small)

So let's see if i find any serious bugs in Mint4.0 ;-)

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

One thing that is really nice is that my rt2500 wireless card works perfectly with Daryna ! I think it's because it is based on Ubuntu: all the other distros using kernel 2.6.22 have problems with that chipset :-\

grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

where are they?

Post by grizwald »

Up until Daryna I used to have Automatix2 loaded and another simple graphics editor called Ida [as in duck]. So far all attempts to find a version of AX to run has eluded me and IDA is no longer listed in the Synaptic Program listing. I found the web site for Ida and had to use alien to convert the tar.gz file to deb format. I installed it but haven't a clue where it went. Finding an alternative mini graphics editor has so far been is impossible. Gimp if fine but a little like using a semi trailer for the evening shopping - TOO heavy duty.

Is this problem related to the mix up with the repositories?

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Meanwhile.... I think Daryna is a brilliant release, best yet!!!

Griz.
Last edited by grizwald on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: where are they?

Post by merlwiz79 »

grizwald wrote:Up until Daryna I used to have Automatix2 loaded and another simple graphics editor called Ida [as in duck]. So far all attempts to find a version of AX to run has eluded me and IDA is no longer listed in the Synaptic Program listing. I found the web site for Ida and had to use alien to convert the rpm file to deb format. I installed it but haven't a clue where it went. Finding an alternative mini graphics editor has so far been is impossible. Gimp if fine but a little like using a semi trailer for the evening shopping - TOO heavy duty.

Is this problem related to the mix up with the repositories?

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Meanwhile.... I think Daryna is a brilliant release, best yet!!!

Griz.
Have you looked in /usr/local/bin?
Isn't it called fbida now?
http://linux.bytesex.org/fbida/
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The only serious bug I have found is that if you log out and then log back in the desktop loads extremely slow. The desktop wallpaper does not show up for a couple of minutes and no right click with the mouse or shutdown is possible.( The shutdown screen will appear after 4 or 5 minutes.)

I had to Ctrl, Alt, Backspace to get to the GDM screen and then restart the PC.

Gutsy had the same problem, the ubuntu-desktop was updated and the problem was resolved. I do not know what exactly in this package was changed or how this can be overcome in Mint.

Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wraeththu »

Daryna runs pretty well on my system so far (far better than Suse 10.2) but I did encounter 2 problems/bugs that may be related to Daryna:

1. Gparted:
Does not relly work well with NTFS Partitions.
Expanding or moving them often causes errors. Expanded drives Show their new size in Gparted an also in windows hard disk utility, but still have their old size when you look at them at the desktop (does not matter Linux/Windows)

For example: A drive that has been 40 GB was expanded bx Gparted to 48 GB. in Partition tools it has 48GB, but it can still only take 40GB of data.

Workaround for me so far: Delete Partition and make a new one (this works fine on Gparted so far) or use Norton ghost ;-(

2. Hangup at boot
Sometimes my system hangs up at boot after the boot window message "Waiting for Boot partition"
This seems to be connected to external USB drives (I have 2 external DVD burners) because when the system boots up without errors I can hear the 2 drives initializing directly after this message appeared.
This might be a bug in Daryna, but may also be a special complication of my System because the Symptom also happens (very seldom) when I boot Windows (and did so before when I only had windows...but with windows you do not think about this for longer and accept it as normal...because it is windows)

My System

IBM Intellistation 6219
Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT
2 gb ram
Geforce 7800GS+ 512 mb
Soundblaster live 5.1
2 external dvd burners (NEC/Pioneer) in ICY-Box Case

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Can anyone else confirm the log off bug I found?

Natwest
Level 1
Level 1

Daryna Beta 021

Post by Natwest »

I installed Daryna without any problems and as yet no bugs are biting. I'm very impressed with totem which comes pre-loaded with the patches for playing DVDs.
All i had to do was load drivers for nVidia 6200 vis Envy and was then able to use advanced desktop.

Great work from the development team. Well worth the wait.

Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wraeththu »

we encountered one more bug at first install:
we tried to install Daryna at first on the 36 GB scsi drive that is also in the system, swap on one 4 gb partition on one 400GB IDE Hd, Home on the second 400GB IDE Hd (no RAID!)

Daryna did not even boot in this configuration

Return to “Releases & Announcements”