The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 22

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 22

Post by Husse »

The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 22 has been released
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... r_Issue_22
We will release a short newsletter every Monday or Tuesday
Last edited by Husse on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Positives:
It reads so much better now its not just a list of links.

The negative:
I don't really understand what Microsoft buying a stake in Facebook has got to do with anything. Surely if you want to make it a regular thing of having more general news the most relevant news to an operating system like Mint from the past few days has been Mac OSX 10.5. Or is bashing Microsoft really all that matters in this section of the newsletter?

/End rant.

Lowkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lowkey »

I love Microsoft stories. All bullies get their karma :D

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

@ belovedmonster
I think that if anyone (in this case Microsoft) pays hundreds of millions of dollars for 1.65 % of Facebook is interesting
This puts a value on it on par with the largest companies in the world.
As I stated in the newsletter this feels like around year 2000 when the "IT bubble" burst

ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

Great, Husse, thanks. I think you're right about this M$ thing. It's a remarkable news, and possibly several bricks less on their "unbreakable" wall.

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Husse wrote:@ belovedmonster
I think that if anyone (in this case Microsoft) pays hundreds of millions of dollars for 1.65 % of Facebook is interesting
This puts a value on it on par with the largest companies in the world.
As I stated in the newsletter this feels like around year 2000 when the "IT bubble" burst
I'm not denying it suggests any of these things. What I'm saying is Mint is an operating system and I think we should keep news to being about operating systems and their relating topics. This is why I mention OSX 10.5. That IMO is waaaaaay more relative to Mint than Facebook will ever be.

By having Facebook in there it sets a precedent that who ever is writing the newsletter can choose any random web/tech story they deem interesting, whether or not its to do with operating systems or open source software, and that seems like a bad idea.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what Facebook has got to do with Mint, especially in a week when another OS is released that many journalists are calling the best OS ever. What is Mint going to do to ensure it is seen in the same light as OS 10.5? Not a lot it seems because they are too concerned with the shape of social networking sites!

And I ask you this... Had someone else besides Microsoft bought that share in Facebook would it be in the Newsletter? I seriously doubt it.

I might sound like I'm princess, but I'm right about this. Facebook has nothing to do with Mint. That general section should be kept for operating systems besides Linux and more general open source news.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I would have put it in there regardless of who had bought it. It's not there because of Facebook, but because of the crazy money value...
But as it can be misinterpreted (obviously :)) you are right.
And I must admit that I missed that Apple released - I thought that should make it's way to the next newsletter
- ouch :oops:

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

The Mint newsletter is a very good read!

I enjoyed the facebook article :)

Thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”