Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
djg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by djg »

Jesse654 wrote:Can't be sure but is your Universal Access zoom activated? Go to Mint Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Universal Access; under the Seeing tab, make sure the Zoom is OFF.
Damn. That easy. I installed and played around in CCSM zoom options but didn't think of universal access zoom.

No idea why it was ON by default for a clean install - did it from the very first login. Strange.

Anyway, thanks for the assist Jesse.

Daryl

TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacBeaver »

Jesse654 wrote:
714snoopy wrote:...If you don't like the new look, keep Mint 10 or 11 or install the many other flavors of Mint; KDE, LMDE, XFCE, etc.
well said
Speaking of other flavors, is there any news to find on the future of Mint KDE ? Are there any plans for a Mint Lisa KDE as there never was a Mint Katya KDE (yet) ?

jefmitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jefmitch »

Brilliant, I've been running this 14 hours a day for 7 days now, with default everything. For me .... It simply .. works, so thanks to Clem & everyone who helped make this ..... The only issue I have found & this is not specific to 12 as I've had the same thing happen with 11 too, and that is, if when typing into the search box, within "Software Manager" & I happen to either delete characters, or otherwise attempt to change what I've typed, then Software Manager, becomes unresponsive for up to a minute ..... Other than that, I am over the moon once more with your gallant efforts.
Thank You guys.

raywoods
Level 2
Level 2

Post by raywoods »

I have been playing about with MATE in Linux Mint 12 and realize, if there is no other alternative, that this will have to be the way for me. However, MATE is still very much at the early point in its development and rather reminds me of how the Gnome desktop felt like eight years ago, especially when looking at the configuration GUIs. Once I had tried some different themes (and some more could be developed from those existing in the Gnome repositories), it began to look quite good too. Mind you, it could be because I'm running Lisa on a VB in LMDE but there are some lengthy waits while you wait for something to happen; rather like using Windows again!

One thing Lisa MATE is really crying out for though is the good old Mint Menu as the current menu is very minimalistic at the moment. On the plus side I can place files and folders on the desktop and have application and file launchers there as well. Hell, I can even place the icons for application launchers in the system bar next to the menu and have the good old Desktop switcher and other controls down there at the other end. It almost looks like my current desktop.

Up until now I have been very negative towards Lisa and still do not consider it to be a Release Candidate; more an Alpha, work in progress version. To release now, with the current state of the art could do Mints name harm. Far better to release it as an Alpha (or Beta if you prefer) and work towards a more deserving Release Candidate sometime next year. We still have, for those of us who need rock solid machines, Linux Mint 9 LTS until 2013 and Linux Mint 10, (in which Compiz and everything else works just fine), with us until April 2012, so there is no rush. Those who like the bells and whistles can play with the Alpha and watch it grow.

Just one more thing, I assume Plymouth is running at start up and at shut down? If it is, can a theme be employed, say showing the Mint logo? When we have start up times of less than a few seconds will be the time for blank screens; until that time there should be something on the screen. (Not all of us have a computer on show to see if there are any pretty lights flashing to tell us all is well.)

Ray

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Code: Select all

To release now, with the current state of the art could do Mints name harm.
I like Gnome Shell and MGSE but this I agree with considering Mint's userbase. Devs made a very good effort so far to make the shell less alien to traditional users, yet it still seems more likely those users will strongly contemplate alternatives rather than try to learn to like Gnome Shell in Mint 12 as it is currently.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

TacBeaver wrote:is there any news to find on the future of Mint KDE ? Are there any plans for a Mint Lisa KDE?
Please read the comments at the end of http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=3
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

raywoods wrote:I have been playing about with MATE in Linux Mint 12 and realize, if there is no other alternative, that this will have to be the way for me. However, MATE is still very much at the early point in its development and rather reminds me of how the Gnome desktop felt like eight years ago, especially when looking at the configuration GUIs. Once I had tried some different themes (and some more could be developed from those existing in the Gnome repositories), it began to look quite good too. Mind you, it could be because I'm running Lisa on a VB in LMDE but there are some lengthy waits while you wait for something to happen; rather like using Windows again!

One thing Lisa MATE is really crying out for though is the good old Mint Menu as the current menu is very minimalistic at the moment. On the plus side I can place files and folders on the desktop and have application and file launchers there as well. Hell, I can even place the icons for application launchers in the system bar next to the menu and have the good old Desktop switcher and other controls down there at the other end. It almost looks like my current desktop.

Up until now I have been very negative towards Lisa and still do not consider it to be a Release Candidate; more an Alpha, work in progress version. To release now, with the current state of the art could do Mints name harm. Far better to release it as an Alpha (or Beta if you prefer) and work towards a more deserving Release Candidate sometime next year. We still have, for those of us who need rock solid machines, Linux Mint 9 LTS until 2013 and Linux Mint 10, (in which Compiz and everything else works just fine), with us until April 2012, so there is no rush. Those who like the bells and whistles can play with the Alpha and watch it grow.

Just one more thing, I assume Plymouth is running at start up and at shut down? If it is, can a theme be employed, say showing the Mint logo? When we have start up times of less than a few seconds will be the time for blank screens; until that time there should be something on the screen. (Not all of us have a computer on show to see if there are any pretty lights flashing to tell us all is well.)

Ray
See this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=86026

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

KBD47 wrote:raywoods wrote:
Please do not quote the entire post when replying, this is not a newsgroup. Apart from being unnecessary, this just makes the thread longer and harder to read.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

prohc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prohc »

I didn't like it at first because it was too buggy and it was different from what I been use to. After installing the updates tonight, I must admit, I'm impressed. The longer you fool with it, especially since the updates, the more I like it. :D

catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Yesterday, after running Linux Mint x86 in VBox & VMWare Player (both were too slow), I decided to do the real install. All would've been fine, had I not installed the AMD/ATI graphic drivers, which normally does fine. I first tried the 64 bit (I have 64 bit hardware, so I run a 64 bit OS), then the 32 bit, then I completely re-downloaded the x64 version & tried the install (late last night), still no go.

After careful thinking, backtracing my steps (I'm a experienced Mint user, began with Gloria), it was evident that either the hardware drivers were the incorrect type, or that the graphics were good enough not to need the driver. I took the chance, didn't install the drivers upon prompt, & have been using Mint 12 x64 quite well.

What it was, after installing the drivers, which normally goes well, the screen really began to screw up. The update box was leaning sideways & split in two, there were no controls available to reboot, only the "Computer" & "home" (normally "Cat's Home") were there. No Start Menu whatsoever, nor the top ribbon. On both VBox & VMWare, it was different, the Start Menu is a drop down from the top to the bottom (like older Ubuntu releases).

Like I've stated, since not installing the hardware drivers (hopefully will be fixed in the near future), Mint 12 has ran great. I'm not totally used to it yet, but it's different, so it takes time to get used to things. Plus this is a RC, not a main version, though soon it probably be. But there is one thing that users will have to get used to & deal with, and that's change. It's the human nature not to "like change", unless it favors them. It was that way at the workplace, the employees hated any change of their jobs with a passion, but the human mind has one great attribute, and that's being able to adapt to the situation at hand. It's amazing, the power of the human brain.

We'll make it, and Mint will pull further ahead. Watch & see.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It could be that ATI has not updated their drivers for the latest kernels. I've found that for me the open-source driver works quite well, providing all the appropriate effects. Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

inxi -xG
If it tells you that you are using the Gallium driver you should do well without the proprietary one.
Mint MATE 19.3

melltuga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by melltuga »

Is it just me, or is there no (easy) way to change the font size in the system settings?
Oh, and I can't find any options MGSE-related options either (for example, I'd like to autohide one of the panels in "GNOME Classic").

So, are these options missing, or am I just too blind to find them?

TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacBeaver »

remoulder wrote:
TacBeaver wrote:is there any news to find on the future of Mint KDE ? Are there any plans for a Mint Lisa KDE?
Please read the comments at the end of http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=3
I never got that far down in the blog page. Thank you for this reaction. Finally some good news on the KDE version. I was afraid it had died silently.

ozybard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozybard »

Have spent about 8 hours playing with Gnome 3 and MGSE and after a lot of reading and experimenting now have a desktop structure that suites me. To all who have been busy putting Mint 12 RC together, a big thanks and well done from me. Having read through this thread there appears to be a fair few whingers out there - Shame on you. Let this product mature in the coming few months and I'm sure that the Mint teams approach to implementing Gnome 3 will be the benchmark for all to follow. If you don't like it, use something else but don't gripe about something that is still under development.

Keep up the good work team. :D

raywoods
Level 2
Level 2

Post by raywoods »

From the jaws of defeat, VICTORY! I’m not bothered with Gnome Shell but, on the other had MATE is developing very nicely. Well done lads.

MATE: As of this morning Nov 19 2011, the Mint Menu is not in the 32 bit version (running in VB on LMDE) and I have to manually start the Update Manager too.

Can I suggest a change in the name of Gnome Classic to Basic Gnome. (To most people Gnome Classic is really Gnome 2!)

Also, in the sign in window there is just the bullseye icon under which the menu of desktop options is hidden. Can I suggest this be made more obvious as to what is hiding beneath this icon?

I am really pleased I have been proved wrong and that my favourite desktop is to remain within Linux Mint. It isn’t perfected yet but it is getting very close now. Two steps back and, hopefully many more forward. :D

aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aelfinn »

tdockery97 wrote:It could be that ATI has not updated their drivers for the latest kernels. I've found that for me the open-source driver works quite well, providing all the appropriate effects.
The OSS driver works well for me too (Radeon 5450). Except that it doesn’t seem to do hardware acceleration for HD video. Can you confirm that? (For example, for a couple of BBC 1080p mkv files, one cpu core hits 100% in the trickier scenes, such as a screen-filling swarm of birds.)

frank75riz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frank75riz »

I have been using Mint 12 for a few days now, and I am more them impressed. :D

chdslv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chdslv »

Well, it appears that we have Gnome2 lovers and Gnome3 lovers. Maybe its good to keep the old fashioned look, or is it because our guys can't get away from the Windows XP look? I won't be going back to Gnome2 look. I don't want the menu too.

Have anyone tried Gnome Pie of Simon Schneegans? Do you think we could have a DE like that?

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

downloaded 12/64 this afternoon to have a look, not messed about with the desktop yet [didnt like the top bar] but my gripe is the open org 0.4 graphic drivers, i have compared them with the ATI AMD FGLRX and although they supposedly do some things better there are several that it dosn't do..... on the whole i think i will stick with 10/64 for a while yet, Just don’t have enough time to seek install and tweek m12

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

TLARbb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLARbb »

I am a newbie... so, in that context:

I installed Linux Mint 11 on one of my desktops and have been using it a while. I liked it a lot. On that machine, I have Win XP, OpenSuse 11.4 installed in its own partition and Mint installed in its own partition. I have spent a lot more time getting familiar with Mint as it appeals to me better visually.

After downloading the Mint 12 live CD night before last, I installed it yesterday in Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop. I have a good bit of downloading to do in the next couple of days to get this where my Mint 11 install is on the other machine.

I read a good bit about the whining of Linux users regarding the Gnome 3 environment. I have to say that though there are some differences and while I haven't used Mint 11 a great deal, I do think the new desktop works fine. So far, everything I have tried to do in 12 has worked for me. I have a pretty hefty software download coming up (will do it early AM tomorrow when my bandwidth is not limited). But, bottom line - I'm liking the new distribution and would like to relay my appreciation to the folks that put this together. I'm sure there are wrinkles somewhere, but I know they'll get ironed out pretty soon.

Ed J

Return to “Releases & Announcements”