Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by michaelzap »

I haven't been this excited by a new release of any distro in a long time. GNOME Shell is really well-designed but not appropriate for everyone's workflow, but fortunately it's all written in Javascript and fairly easy to modify. Between the GNOME devs finally finishing up a lot of needed customization options and bug fixes and the Mint team adding tons more thoughtful UI options, Mint 13 is going to be the best (mouse-friendly) distro out there (especially if they abandon Ubuntu and make the main release Debian-based).
prohc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prohc »

I like Mint 12 better than the other gnome 3 releases but I perfer to stick with mint 11. I am wondering though if any one else found mint 12 to be slow? It was very slow on my computer, so I took it off and went back to 11.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

prohc wrote:I like Mint 12 better than the other gnome 3 releases but I perfer to stick with mint 11. I am wondering though if any one else found mint 12 to be slow? It was very slow on my computer, so I took it off and went back to 11.
I must admit that in MGSE with Chromium, Firefox, and Pithos running, occasionally my music would cut out and stutter. I've noticed this on other heavy GUI's but this was on a netbook, so not the greatest hardware.
KBD47
PS--right now I'm running LXDE desktop in Mint 12, one among many options I've been comparing in this RC. So far LXDE is rock solid and very fast, but I miss the Mint menu.
PPS--LXDE & MATE could be better if it had the battery icon on desktop and power settings, you can add: xfce4-power-manager to get those features.
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

I strongly think this heading "Re: What a load of g*rbage Postby mintbox7 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 am" should be deleted from this thread. Forum rules; Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.
--------------------------------------------------
This Mint12 RC is not garbage! Even though it should not, Clem is giving the Gnome2 crowd a chance to have their DE look like Gnome2, while using Gnome3. There is no way out of it, the Gnome devs won't support Gnome2 any more. Either be with the rising technology or go back to stone age. (I am not saying Gnome2 id stone age, though.) Gnome2 had its time, served well and now has to give its place to Gnome3, and someday, Gnome3 would have to give its place to Gnome4.

Yesterday, OpenSuse 12.1 was released, and for the first time in years, I didn't download it. I usually do to check a new distro, but this time I didn't want to check on OpenSuse's Gnome3. Even though, I have Fedora Verne Gnome3, I haven't gone there since I installed Mint 12 RC. Except for the suspend/resume issue, it haven't given me any trouble at all.

I got rid of the bottom panel and the menu that jumped to the top panel and got rid of the Gnome2 look. The top panel is quite thin, which makes it practically unseen.

There is no need whining about the lack of Gnome2, which is not a Mint problem, and be ready for new and newer technology, or throw away your mobiles, MP3 players, digital cameras etc and go back to old stuff found in a junk yard.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

blueXrider wrote:My eyes are tired of reading all the whine and woes about the new release. GET OVER IT!

Its an RC for Christ's sake. I expected better myself but its a work in progress. If you have pertinent information as to how to improve it. PLEASE POST IT.

If you want to whine some more DON'T, put up and shut up until the final release is cut.

I'm sure someone, somewhere, somehow is going to complain about this post. Be my guest.

YOUR WELCOME!
I'll complain about the post if you really think it's necessary. Otherwise, I believe the RC is rather good and so does the overwhelming majority of testers and early adopter types by what I've seen. Don't let the few ranters get to you. By the way, I like your burning computer. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

chdslv wrote: I got rid of the bottom panel and the menu that jumped to the top panel and got rid of the Gnome2 look. The top panel is quite thin, which makes it practically unseen.
I found that the bottom panel extension interferes with workspace-switching keyboard shortcuts, so I disabled that as well. Which meant I might as well disable the Mint Menu and window list extensions. And I actually don't miss them at all so far, since they duplicated features from the overview and alt-tab view anyway.

Lots of nice themes from webupd8.org, for those of you who don't like the Mint default. Plus the Pidgin shell notifications extension and Gpaste (personal favorites). And not a crash or hiccup at all so far.
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

I've been trying Simon Schneegans' Gnome Pie for sometime, and I haven't gone to the applications' window at all since having Gnome Pie. Just clicked ctrl+alf+space and I have the pie appearing on top the open window. I can just click and open whatever application I wanted. I have gone to the top left corner only to see the open windows. Even, if there are 20 apps or more, I don't have to look at the icon, but look at the centre Pie to see the name of the app and just click! The cursor would be hovering somewhere nearby.

Is it possible to disable the application window and add only this Simon's Gnome Pie as new window manager in Mint 12? Or include this Gnome Pie in Mint 12 with Simon's approval? Simon had developed a pretty nice and useful app!
Vella

Re: Wow. Horrible.

Post by Vella »

rhY wrote:Meh.

Elegance and Usability just went out the door. I left the Ubuntu party to come here. Where's the party going next? ... confused?!?
I absolutely agree with every point. I tried Mint 12, the way it irritates your brain is unbelievable. Uninstalled after half a day. It just cooks your brain. I think, I don't like progress anymore :roll: Just have to restrain my self from wanting the new thing and go with the old one until it dies completely...
djg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djg »

[SOLVED - Universal Access Zoom]

Everything works fine for me so far except for a strange video issue.
Under LiveDVD, lightdm and logged in with three of the four options (Classic, Classic no effects, MATE) my laptop screen resolution is fine (1680x1050).
However if I log in to a Gnome 3 session, then the screen appears zoomed by a factor of approximately two, with panning allowing me to move around the full desktop.
Anybody else seen this or know what might be going on?

64bit install from DVD + all packages updated to current
Nvidia 280.13 driver, however problem existed prior to driver install
Nvidia settings tool, Display Settings tool (lxrandr) and Display applet under main Settings tool all showing 1680x1050 in effect.

Really wanting to get this working as the MGSE effort looks really good. Much better than Ubuntu 11.10 that I cannot take any longer...

djg

[edited for extra details]
Last edited by djg on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba23

Post by Simba23 »

Another issue I found is the Bluetooth does not work as it did in Linux Mint 11. It seem that Linux Mint 12 has issue with the files though Bluetooth.
buntu

Post by buntu »

digest:full of bugs! :roll:
meece

Post by meece »

Only way i could get Mint 12 to be anywhere near functional for me was to strip out all the gnome 3 menus, run in Gnome fallback mode, install cairo-dock (which I hate) that at least gave me one menu on the bottom, and installed compiz to satisfy my eyecandy. took over 4 hours to get a desktop that I can use! . but finally Mint 12 can be made into something "ok" and usable for me.

so far the bugs Ive noticed went away when running Gnome in fall back mode with cairo-dock,

yes yes I know it has Windows icons... I like the look of them and it means my Windows addicted wife can feel somewhat at home the odd time she borrows the laptop :oops: :D

Still Much prefer Mint 10 though. I skipped 11 thinking that 12 might be better ... but nope not happening
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

714snoopy wrote:...If you don't like the new look, keep Mint 10 or 11 or install the many other flavors of Mint; KDE, LMDE, XFCE, etc.
well said
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

efgee wrote:Obviously some "super-smart somebody" ( @Ubuntu... ) decided to get rid of NVidia Graphic support during install.
Did you try putting "nomodeset" at the end of the boot line (just before the two dashes)? I have NVIDIA too, and I always have to do that.
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

djg wrote:However if I log in to a Gnome 3 session, then the screen appears zoomed by a factor of approximately two, with panning allowing me to move around the full desktop.
Anybody else seen this or know what might be going on?
Can't be sure but is your Universal Access zoom activated? Go to Mint Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Universal Access; under the Seeing tab, make sure the Zoom is OFF.
paradave

Post by paradave »

Been using Mint 12 for a few days now, after leaving Unity behind forever, and I'm pretty happy with is, and even with *most* of Gnome3. I'm not sure what everyone is so bothered by. Sure, there are a few niggling issues, but mostly it's good, and I just want to applaud the G3 folk for the best working version yet of a UI that can work on mouse and touch systems of various sizes, not easy I'm sure, and also to Mint for realising that G3 is the only way forward, but doing so in steps.

I thought I would really like all of the various shell extensions that made G3 more like G2, but I'm surprised to say that I've shut off all but the windows in the taskbar and it's great, and themes.

Now if G3 could get the damn applications dock to appear when I hover over it, instead of some other location, I'd be happy.

So anyway, no serious complaints, I'm happy with Mint 12
PerfMonk

Post by PerfMonk »

Please answer this question in the Graphic card & Monitor forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=85950)
Sorry for posting the wrong place... :oops:

I'm new to linux mint but not to Ubuntu or debian.

I have tried to install Mint 12 Lisa RC and all I get is a black screen.

My machine is a HP Pavillion g series. Here is my /proc/cpuinfo : AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AuthenticAMD
The graphic card is an ATI HD6520G (pci id number 9647). It won't work with the opensource driver (radeon).
I actually use the proprietary driver under linux Funtoo and it work for Xorg-server version 10.4-r1 and kernel 3.2.0-rc2.
The 11.10 proprietary driver won't work with Xorg 11 but the new driver 11.11 is supposed to work with recent version of Xorg-server. I have not tried it yet.

Is there a way to boot with the DVD and have a screen ? I have tried to pass "vga=771" at boot with no luck.

I would like to install Mint on a partition to try it for a while. But I'm stuck there with a black screen of death...

Thanks for any info,

Bernard :mrgreen:
Last edited by PerfMonk on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

I installed Lisa on my old HP NC6220 with a PCI wireless card. other than Firefox crashing randomly (which hasn't happened since the first round of updates) I haven't noticed anything wrong. :D I'm not a power user but have been using Mint since Helena. Gnome3 seems to be growing on me for sure ;)

NICE work team!!!
dcbdbis

A Thank You

Post by dcbdbis »

When Gnome 3 came out, I was preparing my clients (Using Mint 11) for a potential switch. I was fearful that the next version of Mint was going to forcibly cram Gnome 3 down everyone's throat, like the other distros.

I cannot teach Windows converts that I switch over, to Gnome 3, because it breaks every desktop paradigm that exists.

My hat is off in thanks and gratitude for Clem and his team for retaining the one Linux paradigm that seems to have been abandoned by the larger others: Namely, User Choice.

Clem and team have taken the course of Wisdom and waited for Gnome 3 to more stable, then by adding their own tweaks to it (MSGE) I now have a traditional desktop to work with. I can teach Mint 12 easily to noobs.

My hat is off to the team for NOT switching to Gnome 3 when it was first released, sticking with Gnome 2 until some of the dust had settled from 3, and then recognizing the void that Gnome 2's demise left behind.
Now we have Gnome 3 (new tech) with a teachable interface that is traditional in nature.

I can also (when Mint goes GA) allow my users systems to be upgraded without fear.

Smart, Smart move Clem!

Now: How do we get you some large corporate backing with some significant $$?

Dave
VanR

Post by VanR »

My MInt 12 install lasted about 2 days. I liked it just fine for the first day and then like some others have said I started getting some lockups, youtube videos wouldn't play, programs would open and then abruptly close. Had to hard boot (power switch) several times to reboot just to clear an unresponsive system. I wanted so much to like MInt 12, but for now I'm back to Zorin OS 5. I might try 12 again when the bugs are worked out.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”