Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by rfd »

ilovelinux wrote:
rfd wrote:just loaded m12 into a new hp pavillion using an AAHD2-HY mb and a AMD Radeon HD 6530D vid card. serious display problems - was there an ati video issue mentioned? if so, workaround?
Are you using the open source radeon drivers, or the proprietary fglrx Catalyst ones?

ati/amd drivers.

look m12 devs - do we need a drivers work-around cheat sheet for running an ati vid card w/m12? right now, m12 pretty much suks if it won't behave with the gajillions of ati cards out there in linux land. if ati vids were a known problem, the m12 public offering should have been delayed until the fixes were in. yeesh.

good thing i have m10 running on 3 other boxes and m12 running well on an old emachines lapper. but still ............... :evil:
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

rfd wrote:...
The major issues with Gnome 3 seem to be isolated to mainly AMD/ATI users. AMD still hasn't gotten their drivers working perfectly yet, but had made great progress from 11.8 -> 11.11 Catalyst.

You can help AMD get their Linux drivers working faster by submitting reports about your hardware, AMD/ATI product, etc, etc. here:

http://www.amd.com/us/LinuxCrewSurvey

My short trial with Catalyst drivers + Gnome 3 was sluggish with some slight graphical corruptions here and there on some windows, but I have to give props to AMD for doing great so far...Gnome 3 for AMD/ATI users used to be nothing more than rainbow colors all over the place and absolutely severe graphical corruption of the entire interface.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

ilovelinux wrote:
rfd wrote:just loaded m12 into a new hp pavillion using an AAHD2-HY mb and a AMD Radeon HD 6530D vid card. serious display problems - was there an ati video issue mentioned? if so, workaround?
Are you using the open source radeon drivers, or the proprietary fglrx Catalyst ones?
And yes, there's a lot of problems reported by those using ATI video hardware which is nothing new when it comes to Linux distros. The problem lies in the quality of the ATI drivers unfortunately. Those with Nvidia based video hardware are having much fewer problems

I've heard that the problem is solved by either using either open source ATI driver with 3D enabled or downloading and installing the latest video driver for your card driver from the ATI website itself. As ilovelinux asked, what driver are you using?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Shadowfire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfire »

look m12 devs - do we need a drivers work-around cheat sheet for running an ati vid card w/m12? right now, m12 pretty much suks if it won't behave with the gajillions of ati cards out there in linux land. if ati vids were a known problem, the m12 public offering should have been delayed until the fixes were in. yeesh.

Mr. rfd

I am not sure how long you a have been a linux user. Seems that you haven't followed the history of ATI and Linux. Aside from the earlier versions of Linux and its kernel with ATI cards (ex. ATI Rage series cards) with Simply put they have never made reliable drivers up until late. Nvidia has had some practice and a head start with the 3d drivers for Linux - even though ATI has been around longer - that should tell you something right there. In anycase - the drivers issues have nothing to do with Linux Mint 12, it has to do with a company afraid of their precious IP (intellectual property and trade secrets) getting out to the masses and cost of doing business in spending development time to fix the ongoing issues of their Linux driver issues.

The Mint team is at the mercy of ATI's driver development team.. not the other way around. This is due to the IP and trade secrets. Otherwise the opensource community would code changes immediately with out all the headaches of trial and error and recoding items.

Feel free to go to ATI and get a job on the development team to help speed up the process of a fix on 3D issues on ATI HD cards. with Gnome 3.

I understand your frustrations with having graphical issues on the desktop, but point them at the true guilty party - ATI dev's. I own a ATI 5770 RD card and it has major issues with Gome 3 desktop and ATI Catalyst drivers as well. Fortunately I am aware of the challenges the Opensource community faces with such proprietary drivers - once again due to the Intellectual property and drivers sherades.

I am not even a developer, and I thought your complaint was rather off base and rude. I would also guess you don't donate and with all of that - I am surprised you dared to open your mouth to lash out at the dev's about your problem when you are more then likely using Linux Mint 12 for free. Have some respect please and try to understand the developers do their best for this distro. There are outside influences beyond their control that can cause problems externally. The best thing you can do is to support Linux Mint Dev's by going to ATI and file a trouble ticket for ATI Catalyst drivers for Linux and Gnome 3 - and add the distro as Linux Mint.

I hope that ATI support fixes the direct issues in their proprietary drivers for Gnome 3 and the drivers receive complete fixes. But until then I must wait just like everyone else with out pointing the fingers at Mint Dev's.

Let's hope ATI gets busy and fixes it soon!
SLmanDR

Post by SLmanDR »

I wanted to do an install alongside my existing Mint 11.
I'm getting the "colorful" Home page screen with the Live DVD of Mint 12 too. I can tell it's the Linux Mint screen from the colors. But the video is badly hashed. nVidia GeForce2 GPU is in use. I also have the Experimental 3D support for nVidia cards running in my Mint 11 install. Is that a bad thing for the new M 12? "This driver provides a highly experimental 3D acceleration for NVIDIA graphics cards, as a free alternative to the proprietary driver."

Tested by disabling "Experimental 3D support". No difference.

md5 hash checks: ee3d6e2ca498bc7685b7f17cdb5f2eea.

-Processor-
Name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Family, model, stepping : 15, 12, 0 (AMD Opteron/Athlon64/FX)
Vendor : AuthenticAMD

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01)
PCI bridge : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
FireWire (IEEE 1394) : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
RAID bus controller : Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378 (FastTrak 378/SATA 378) (rev 02)
Ethernet controller : Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
RAID bus controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
IDE interface : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
USB Controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
USB Controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
USB Controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
ISA bridge : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
Communication controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
mymint

Post by mymint »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 “Lisa”. Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” New features at a glance: Gnome 3 and MGSE MATE Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12“. Important info and release notes: [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889
After installing Mint 12 I cannot find seahorse-plugins anymore.
Any suggestions?
pevamo

Post by pevamo »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 “Lisa”. Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” New features at a glance: Gnome 3 and MGSE MATE Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12“. Important info and release notes: [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889
I also have installed release 12 of Mint and had the same problems. A normal shutdown was not possible.
I have also tried Ubuntu 11.10 and Kubuntu 11.10 (wich is the underlaying OS for Mint) and have the same problems. No shutdown was possible.

I have returned to release 11 and hope that there will a solution soon.
miez

Post by miez »

Looks nice. Too bad I cannot use it for my netbook with that infamous GMA 500 graphics adapter. It won't boot to Gnome when I start a live session from usb-stick. All I get is the prompt, ending up in the terminal. When I use the command startx, it says, "No screens found". Same problem I had with Ubuntu 11.11. Guess it ends for me at Linux Mint 11, the last release when I could do a normal boot and install. :( Time for another netbook/laptop I guess.
edtheuniquegeek

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

Unless I downloaded the wrong version, this looks more like Ubuntu than classic Mint. I downloaded linuxmint-12-gnome-dvd-32bit.iso and I am noticing that the bar is at the top like Ubuntu. One of the main reasons I switched from Ubuntu to Mint was because the Mint UI was different from Ubuntu in that the task bar in Mint was at the bottom and a better menu UI than Ubuntu.
Does anyone know if there is a way to change Mint 12 UI to look more like the previous versions of Mint instead of the Ubuntu look?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yes, this time this isn't the default look. In fact, you can't get it unless you install some more Gnome Shell extensions which aren't (yet?) the part of MGSE.

Look at this how-to thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813 (item "2a. Get classic single panel desktop")
Also look at this one: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=85775 for the details.
edtheuniquegeek

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

Monsta wrote:Yes, this time this isn't the default look. In fact, you can't get it unless you install some more Gnome Shell extensions which aren't (yet?) the part of MGSE.

Look at this how-to thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813 (item "2a. Get classic single panel desktop")
Also look at this one: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=85775 for the details.

Fantastic. Thanks.
I'm checking Mint 12 out in VM now but if this is it and we have to do all these tweaks, I may skip 12 and just stay on 10 (desktop) and 11 (laptop) in hopes that 13 is better.
kendokaG

Post by kendokaG »

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but if there are major issues with the ATI drivers, is there any way to get the opensource gallium driver to work properly? On my laptop it causes serious problems with overheating!

Regards,

G
vikrang

Small issues

Post by vikrang »

I do not think this info could help in any way the developers ..But I noticed that Mint 12.1 (64 bit) frequently hangs after the bootup and opening a couple of programs like mozilla,banshee,terminal ...After a point mouse pointer alone moves and the apps dont respond..Then I have to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and reboot. Is there something like Windows task manager which detects the crashing program and close only that program..Eg the usual message "This program is not responding ..Pl sselect close , cancel, wait " ! ...I am slightly better than a noob but not a pro! Wish could save the machine from reboots and close the problemmatic app alone.
wolverine_tech

Re: Small issues

Post by wolverine_tech »

vikrang wrote:I do not think this info could help in any way the developers ..But I noticed that Mint 12.1 (64 bit) frequently hangs after the bootup and opening a couple of programs like mozilla,banshee,terminal ...After a point mouse pointer alone moves and the apps dont respond..Then I have to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and reboot. Is there something like Windows task manager which detects the crashing program and close only that program..Eg the usual message "This program is not responding ..Pl sselect close , cancel, wait " ! ...I am slightly better than a noob but not a pro! Wish could save the machine from reboots and close the problemmatic app alone.

If the mouse pointer is not frozen and the keyboard responds:
You could try Alt+F2, then enter 'r' (sans quotes) and press 'Enter'.
Alt+F2 calls up a 'command box' (on both GNOME and KDE). Typing 'r' and pressing enter restarts/reloads the Shell, so that you don't have log out/ restart - all your programs are still running after Shell reloads.

Hope that helps.
vikrang

Post by vikrang »

Hey thanks ..That saved my day! This is really a very useful tip...Thx Wolverine. :)
Nippon

Post by Nippon »

Gnome shell is amazing and very intuitive, i already adjust my mint 12 to my needs, only problem i got is this:
http://i44.tinypic.com/olnv8.png
That all strange double ugly icons, including old software appear like xeye or eye of gnome, when i install skype from softweare manage, in the middle of downloading, gnome shell disappear and after a second appear again but with this mess under applications/all gnome shell menu, how to get rid of that, its looking horrible?
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

vikrang wrote:Hey thanks ..That saved my day! This is really a very useful tip...Thx Wolverine. :)
You're welcome! :)

If that keeps happening even after a few updates, perhaps it it will be good to post your hardware info and file a bug report.
Sometimes Shell used to crash on my machine, but has been running quite stable after some updates.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Nippon wrote:Gnome shell is amazing and very intuitive, i already adjust my mint 12 to my needs, only problem i got is this:
http://i44.tinypic.com/olnv8.png
That all strange double ugly icons, including old software appear like xeye or eye of gnome, when i install skype from softweare manage, in the middle of downloading, gnome shell disappear and after a second appear again but with this mess under applications/all gnome shell menu, how to get rid of that, its looking horrible?

I too have fuzzy, double icons. The 'horrible' double icons are a problem with Gnome-Shell. I'm sure they'll sort it out in the next few revisions.

Unfortunately, at present, I do not know how to get rid of them.
andylquk

Post by andylquk »

Nice work on LM12.

Had lots of stability issues on 64bit version, lock ups etc etc, after a lot of investigation discovered that Pulseaudio was getting confused with the Logitech webcam I had plugged in - removing the webcam and configuring the sound device to use the onboard analog device fixed this - now all is great.

Using the fdlrx ati drivers for my ATI HD5xxx card - all works fine, despite the installer saying there was an error and the installation didn't complete - on reboot the catalyst drivers are onboard and appear to be working fine.

Thanks all.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

edtheuniquegeek wrote:
Monsta wrote:Yes, this time this isn't the default look. In fact, you can't get it unless you install some more Gnome Shell extensions which aren't (yet?) the part of MGSE.

Fantastic. Thanks.
I'm checking Mint 12 out in VM now but if this is it and we have to do all these tweaks, I may skip 12 and just stay on 10 (desktop) and 11 (laptop) in hopes that 13 is better.
Nothing is needed in LM 12 itself, all is included to get the Gnome 3/shell experience by default. What is needed is 3D capability for your video driver otherwise you'll have exactly what you're talking about which is called fallback mode. In an actual hard drive installation you'll need to either enable 3D capability for the default open source driver that's already loaded or install the proprietary driver for your video card/GPU hardware. You can accomplish this using the "Additional Drivers" app.

For a VM like VirtualBox, you'll need to enable 3D video capability in the VM app for the LM 12 VM otherwise all you'll get is fallback mode. If you have the hardware capabilities, make sure you assign plenty of resources to your LM 12 VM otherwise gnome-shell will be sluggish.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”