need guidance in choosing DE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yonnie
Level 2
Level 2

need guidance in choosing DE

Postby yonnie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:47 pm

I've looked at the different DE guides and I don't see a difference. Well, the Xfce one wasn't available in English so I didn't bother to look at it. Short history summary:
Many years ago it was just Linux as in Redhat or Debian. I ran RedHat back then. Then I found Debian was a lot cheaper and I preferred to use Gnome, then it went away. Then I moved to KDE, then the powers that be made the menus illegible, so I'm deciding which to move to next. Ran LXDE on the older stuff I had
I have a need to use Wine for some business apps that are only available for windows and I need to run GoogleEarth too. Everything else is Linux or forget it.

I don't like having to switch distros all the time, Linux Mint seems to be pretty good and I've been running KDE, KDE is going away so now what? Cinnemon, Mate, Xfce, which one when all three appear to be the same. Do you know what a PITA it is to be used to running something and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore? I went through this with Geda, spent hundreds of hours drafting and designing to find the library's would change and all my drawings wouldn't load or print anymore.
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Re: need guidance in choosing DE

Postby Pjotr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Much depends on your system specs. CPU, amount of RAM, video chipset, that kind of things.

And on whether you're a lover of bling-bling, of course. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

yonnie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby yonnie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

have no idea what bling bling would be unless you refer to windblows. I just want a stable easy to use DE that will remain available as a workhorse, as in SunOS, used to really love that one. The main princess I have about KDE was it used to have nice easy to read menu's, now you can't read them, especially when you launch LibreOffice, the menu's become a blur and screwed-up.
How do you tell the difference between the different Linux Mint DEs and pick one.
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 pm

The short answer is - try the different DEs. It's all about look and feel so it's personal preference. The other option is to stick with KDE, either by moving to another distro, or installing it on top of Mint when official support ends years from now. A community member will give instructions and it will only be a couple of lines to cut and paste in the terminal.

yonnie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby yonnie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Not interested in spending the hours of investment of time I don't have, just to discover the LM flavor I spent time on doesn't do the application I might need a month from now. Do all the LM flavors do essentially the same thing? They all seem to look alike. How do i even tell which one it is that I am running right now?
This is not a whimsical thing for me, for I don't want to go through the effort of installing this, then that and then something else. That is nonsense! My time is valuable to me
- Friedrich Nietzsche

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

yonnie wrote:Not interested in spending the hours of investment of time I don't have...

If you create a Live Multi USB drive with the three different DEs, you can try them and see which you gravitate towards.

yonnie wrote:...Do all the LM flavors do essentially the same thing?

Yes.

yonnie wrote:How do i even tell which one it is that I am running right now?

Run System Info. Or in Terminal, run inxi -S.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

yonnie
Level 2
Level 2

Solved Re: need guidance in choosing DE

Postby yonnie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 pm

thanks
- Friedrich Nietzsche

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Forgot to mention---I wouldn't count on Wine for running your business apps. You might be lucky and they will run. Wine is good, but just that---good, and is a hack. I use TurboTax every year and can't get Wine to run it, period. That's why I have a virtual machine of Windows.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Return to “Others”