Automatically Rotate Desktop Wallpaper

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fire_fly
Level 1
Level 1

Automatically Rotate Desktop Wallpaper

Post by fire_fly »

Running Mint 13 64 bit Mate on an Ivy Bridge 3770k with an Asus P8Z77V-PRO with an ATI HD6670 (fglrx driver installed) and 8 GB of fast RAM. Everything works, so far, except automatic desktop wallpaper rotation. Have tried Wally, Wallch, Webilder, and Desktopnova no luck. After installing gnome-session-bin I was able to verify session 3.2.1 via the command "gnome-session --version". Running "gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri" gives the correct URI, in my case 'file:///home/user_name/pics/image_i_want.jpg'. Then running "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///home/user_name/pics/image_i_want.jpg" runs but does not change the wallpaper/background or give me an error message. Manually changing the background by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Change Desktop Background" works.

Out of ideas, can anyone help? How to auto change the desktop background/wallpaper? TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fire_fly
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automatically Rotate Desktop Wallpaper

Post by fire_fly »

Still using Mate compiled wallch from scratch, which runs from the compile directory, for some reason didn't install to /usr/bin, however, while wallch runs it does not change the wallpaper. The compiled from scratch version doesn't work. Next installed Gnome and Gnome-session and rebooted to Gnome classic. Compiled version now running properly and changing background automatically. Next removed the compiled version and installed the repository version which removed about a half-dozen Gnome files but the repository version also runs okay in Gnome classic. It appears wallch and the other three wallpaper changers are incompatible with Mate and Cinnamon (was running the RC version of Cinnamon with same negative results). Right now am running Mint 13 with Gnome classic, doesn't look as great but it works. Any way to get wallch, wally, destopnova, or webilder to work with Mate or Cinnamon?
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

I found that Wallch worked fine in Cinnamon on Mint 12 - provided you started it manually. Trying to get it to start automatically was not at all successful.

If you install it from the Software Centre on Cinnamon Mint 13 actually seems to work on start up. :-) It looks to me as if somebody's worked on it to make it compatible with Cinnamon. It's not perfect - it won't appear in the system tray unless you start it manually, so it's not so easy to get at the preferences, but once you've got it set up, hopefully you won't need to change them often.
fire_fly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fire_fly »

Thanks Sally, did a clean install of Maya Cinnamon final release and wallch is now working. Finally got everything working with just a few minor problems. My new computer is about ready to replace the old one.
Liox

Post by Liox »

SallyK wrote:It's not perfect - it won't appear in the system tray unless you start it manually, so it's not so easy to get at the preferences, but once you've got it set up, hopefully you won't need to change them often.
Indeed, since LM13 wallch is working on startup. If you like to see the wallch config on startup go to "Preferences-> Startup Applications". Look for the wallch entry, edit it and remove the --constant parameter. Now everytime you start your session, the wallch config will open. This is still far away from perfect, because you have to start your rotation manually and close the windows. But it is than in the system tray.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thanks Liox, that is a useful tip.

Of course, what I want is for Wallch to start automatically *and* for the icon to appear in the system tray, in the same way that wallpaper changers usually work - but as I said, the current system is lot better than having to start it manually.

Return to “Software & Applications”