Linux Mint XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Open Source Pimp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint XFCE

Post by Open Source Pimp »

Could you release guidelines for "minting" xfce? I was reading about the idea to eventually do a release using xfce when Linux Mint 3 rolls around, but right now I think it would be cool if I could Mint my computer xfce style.

It would be awesome to have a computer that is not only hooked-up for multimedia, but also blazingly fast.

Also, just cause I forgot to mention it elsewhere, I am sucessfully running Bianca beta on an Apple Macbook! I am using the lower enter key as right click, and I am running the wireless using a driver for a d-link card (works as a dirty hack for the Atheros chipset).

OSP

Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

You could do it with:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

and it will download XFCE and all the goodies that Xubuntu has.

Open Source Pimp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Open Source Pimp »

So you're saying Take a fresh install of Bianca, use the-apt get install xubuntu desktop and it will replace my gnome with xfce? Or will it just be a second option on the login menu? Ideally I would like to have something that is totally xfce, Because it boots faster, and runs faster than gnome. If I knew all the right packages to install, I would just install xubuntu and then "mint" that.

One problem I ran into (being on a Mac) I don't know how to set up right click emulation in xubuntu. It works fine in mint, but perhaps in xfce the commands are different. You see I'm a bit of a noob.

OSP

Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

You can always get Xubuntu and use automatix2 to get all the media stuff working like in Mint.

I'm not sure if any of the gnome desktop stuff would get removed.

If you issue the command "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" it will show you what it wants to do and ask you if you want to continue so you have nothing to lose by trying.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

For the mac guy. Buy a USB mouse. It ill make you life easier.

If you want a minimal XFCE with no gnome components, I suggest you get Ubuntu server edition, and install XFCE, then get automatix for you multimedia pleasures.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Installing Xubuntu-desktop will not get rid of gnome.
You could install Xubuntu and automatix or sometimes you need to install ubuntu alternate (instead of server) and install XFCE and automatix.
Alternate is for when server or other installs go mental.
I used Alternate on my EPIA file server.
:)
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Only don't use Automatix! It adds wierd repositories and screws up upgrades. Just enabled the restricted repositories and install Win32codecs from Synaptic.

There are reasons the Ubuntu devs recommend against Automatix

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

sanguinemoon wrote:Only don't use Automatix! It adds wierd repositories and screws up upgrades. Just enabled the restricted repositories and install Win32codecs from Synaptic.

There are reasons the Ubuntu devs recommend against Automatix
Heads:
true, and for those very same reasons they recommend using easyubuntu.

Tails:
There seems to be a demand for making a computer work like it should. Thus Automatix if popular.

(Although Warranted) Ubuntu devs are on a crusade of perfection and legal definition. Automatix messes things up since the software it installs rarely comes from the official repos. Since Ubuntu won't support certain software in its repos then Automatix would be forced to play some tricks with its software to get the dependencies installed.

I'm not making a point, I'm just making an observation of the way I see the gears turning.

I just wish that Mint could have some sort of secondary install cd (released a month after installer cd) which has some sort of interface like automatix to install some of the most commonly downloaded packages (from automatix) like wine, virtualbox, VMware, Java, Swiftfox (being abandoned by maintainer), Songbird, VLC, Mac/PC fonts.

If for example, int 10 years I'm digging around in my basement and I find an old laptop and I see that I left the installer cd in the drive, I could just boot/install/use. Not Boot/Install/Search for abandoned repos.

Kinda like Macs used to be before there was internet 1) Find an old mac. 2) Play.

(I'll leave PCs out due to proprietary drivers being impossible to find)

Return to “Others”