Open window disappears when minimized

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caribriz

Re: Open window disappears when minimized

Post by caribriz »

Panel Settings > Panel Applets list
Click add > click "Task Bar (Window List)" > click add
Make sure "Task Bar (Window List)" is highlighted .... then click Up button until "Task Bar (Window List)" is just under "Application Launch Bar" in the list.
Panel settings no 2.png
caribriz
eelisajones

Post by eelisajones »

I had the same problem Mint 16 Mate.

I had to right-click on the panel (where your icons and menu are located) and choose "Add to Panel."

Scroll down and select "Windows List."

Click "+ Add" button.

You should be able to see your minimized windows now.
C-man

Post by C-man »

thanks for the clear simple solution

that fixed it for me!
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

I happened across this Aug3,'14, for my Fox Fire always disappearing when minimized and ending up with lots of extra open browser windows from clicking on the icon thinking it was how to open /maximize to the screen at prior size-not full screen. I am using Mint 17 MATE and the process is a bit different to get the Add to panel list, but right clicking on a nearly invisible icon of 4 or so horizontal dash marks on the panel that look just like the notification area icon but this opens up the has 'preferences' in the list with 'lock','move' and those. There are 2 more of the exact same appearing icon or whatever that only have 'help' remove, about and lock or move. nothing else. i think they are all notification area icons only one has preferences and one running app, or applet thought there are a number actually running and showing. do not get it. but that is how it works in this panel in this installed version of MInt 17 Qiana, Mate that otherwise functions fairly well. Only been using linux about 5weeks today and only used mate, cinnamon and the live cd downloads i tried out for ubuntu, kbuntu 4 in 1 live i didnt use in 12.04 and then the recent Trusty 14.04. for me, Mint was the best, easiest to learn on others were fine but a bit more steep learning curve, i though in the first week of practice.
Thanks for this tip, did do something. I found 2 window switcher applets i have put in the panel. now, at least, i do not need to do the Alt-Tab to flash up the running apps or windows and open one at a time that way. was too hit or miss and a mouse click is sometimes faster than needing a keyboard to push down a few/couple of keys.
Though the solution right click on panel is the best way , on the proper part of some panels , i guess, the add to panel did not show up, it will though
just my 2¢ in case someone else has a problem through inexperience as I did.
isopropanol

Post by isopropanol »

I just ran into this myself. I did what eelisajones suggests above and added a window list to the panel.

While adding new icons to my quick list (whatever you want to call it - the icons near the left to launch apps) I noticed something weird. I had a couple of vertical ovals left of my icons. If I right clicked there I would get options for a window I had open.

Long story short I had 2 window lists now, the original one was just super tiny. I assume I moved my Caja icon to the right unintentionally making my window list super small. So after right clicking on the icons, selecting move, and moving the icons left of the 3 lines (sometimes called the hamburger icon), the divider, I now had my original window list expanded. I removed the second window list and was back in business.

So if you have the 3 line divider icon mixed in with your quick launch icons it's probably your original window list.
1nkey

Post by 1nkey »

I've just gone through this myself as well and the work around eelisajones put forward has made the minimized window visible in the task bar ... however there is still this square thingamabob that was the minimized window previously ... is there a way of cleaning it up ... ?
here is a pic the thingamabob its also in green highlight.
cheers
Wynne7c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wynne7c »

eelisajones wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 pm I had the same problem Mint 16 Mate.

I had to right-click on the panel (where your icons and menu are located) and choose "Add to Panel."

Scroll down and select "Windows List."

Click "+ Add" button.

You should be able to see your minimized windows now.
Thank you eelisajones..fixed my latest new install :D
Shree_09

Post by Shree_09 »

Ok just right click on taskbar and then click on reset panel, your problem will be solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”